My Body Isn't My Own

• I haven't been on in a bit. I have been eating a fairly steady diet, but the weight won't budge and I seem to just keep developing one health problem after another.

I'm in my twenties and I just feel like my body is not my own. I am suffering from back problems including a protruding herniated disc, annular tear, bi-lateral sciatica, and scoliosis. I have other issues such as chronic migraines, asthma, and hypothyroidism. I'm basically in constant pain.

A couple of years ago I weighed in between 110-120. I still had migraines and asthma to deal with, but I lived in a more asthma friendly climate. I had lower stress because I felt better overall and I did my best to manage my migraines. Currently, I can keep at around 150 if I very closely monitor everything I put in my mouth. I shot up to 165 at one point. Nothing changes in my diet... my weight just balloons by 10+ pounds at a time. I have gone over this with multiple doctors. They say my diet is appropriate and the weight is likely related to medications, my thyroid, and stress.

I am currently dealing with so much back pain that I can't drive. I am in physical therapy 3-4 times a week and I am seeing doctors at least weekly. I just had a procedure today to hopefully help control some of the pain in my legs. I feel like I really can't work out, but diets haven't worked either. I'm sure the added weight is putting more pressure on my joints. I don't know what to do. My family says that if I just weighted less I would be healthier. They say it's my fault. I know they don't understand, but it just makes me upset and frustrated. I literally came out of anesthesia crying in pain today and the first thing my family said was, "We've got to get some of this weight off of you." Thank you for informing me... that should be super simple. I haven't tried that. It never even occurred to me.

I'm sorry to vent. I hope that maybe somebody has a similar experience to share and a positive outlook.
  • Quote: I haven't been on in a bit. I have been eating a fairly steady diet, but the weight won't budge and I seem to just keep developing one health problem after another.

I'm in my twenties and I just feel like my body is not my own. I am suffering from back problems including a protruding herniated disc, annular tear, bi-lateral sciatica, and scoliosis. I have other issues such as chronic migraines, asthma, and hypothyroidism. I'm basically in constant pain.

A couple of years ago I weighed in between 110-120. I still had migraines and asthma to deal with, but I lived in a more asthma friendly climate. I had lower stress because I felt better overall and I did my best to manage my migraines. Currently, I can keep at around 150 if I very closely monitor everything I put in my mouth. I shot up to 165 at one point. Nothing changes in my diet... my weight just balloons by 10+ pounds at a time. I have gone over this with multiple doctors. They say my diet is appropriate and the weight is likely related to medications, my thyroid, and stress.

I am currently dealing with so much back pain that I can't drive. I am in physical therapy 3-4 times a week and I am seeing doctors at least weekly. I just had a procedure today to hopefully help control some of the pain in my legs. I feel like I really can't work out, but diets haven't worked either. I'm sure the added weight is putting more pressure on my joints. I don't know what to do. My family says that if I just weighted less I would be healthier. They say it's my fault. I know they don't understand, but it just makes me upset and frustrated. I literally came out of anesthesia crying in pain today and the first thing my family said was, "We've got to get some of this weight off of you." Thank you for informing me... that should be super simple. I haven't tried that. It never even occurred to me.

I'm sorry to vent. I hope that maybe somebody has a similar experience to share and a positive outlook.
    Sending you hugs, sounds like a lot to deal with. Have you checked with your physio about doing 'exercises' in water? The water supports your body so that gravity will not cause more issues and it enables you to move your limbs with much less stress on the joints of the spine. There is a good post-surgical program for those who have undergone complicated laminectomies and surgeries to remove large or multiple disk fragment (diskectomies) or after fusions or stabilization with rods in "The Complete Waterpower Workout Book - programs for Fitness, Injury Prevention, Healing" by Linda Huey and Robert Forster P.T.
    Here's a link to Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Water...r+workout+book

I have this book in my library because I have used it for myself rehabbing from a car accident and a workplace injury, and have used it with physio rehab clients I have worked with. If you aren't sure about it request it at the library and show it to your physio and see if it can help you.
    Once you get moving it is easier to feel better about yourself, lower stress, and eat properly to lose extra weight.

Hang in there!
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. People who have never had a weight problem have no clue. Because of your height, you are carrying more weight that you should, but you are far from obese. Were they there when your doctors said that your diet is appropriate? That the weight is due to meds, stress and medical conditions?

I know it's difficult to ignore your family...they aren't going away any time soon. But try not to take their comments to heart. Do whatever you need to do to help with your pain, and weight loss should come once that is addressed.

Take care.