Alternachick chat August 11+

You're on Page 5 of 9
Go to
  • Hi everyone! I am just going to catch up with the threads now but I just wanted to say hi and that we are back....Ellis I am so glad your dad is doing so well - and that everyone seems to have got through the blackout OK. We are in southern Ontario (now you know!) and so had it too...the day before we left for vacation, so I forgot to pack more than 2 prs of shorts for eldest DD but she was fine, and the girls tried to sleep in the basement but got scared and stayed in theit hot little beds upstairs. I ended up in the basement which was nice and cool.

Vacation week was nice - I sat around the cabin and on the beach a LOT, lots of sitting and a few pieces of pizza and let's ADMIT IT, some french fries, and wham! I am up to 146.5, 3 1/2 lbs in a week! Only it is about TOM so I am hoping a few ounces is that, but am not kidding myself. Back to the minestrone and the salads etc.

Butter tarts...at university they served them a LOT and I didn't really like them. But DH and I used to go to this doughnut shop (pre Tim Horton's days, mid 1980s!) and have dutchies and crullers and they were lovely - all that fried dough and sugar, washed down with gallons of coffee, which even at night did not keep me awake! Ah, those were the days!

Now I am going to read up on the past week for you all...

Lidian
  • Welcome back, Lidian!! We missed you!!
    Sounds like you had a lovely holiday...I'm so glad.
    You don't like butter tarts?! she doesn't like butter tarts!? What kind of a Canadian is THAT?!
  • Just a quick fly by.

Welcome back Lidian!

I hope the visitation went well Den!

I notcied the same thing Mauvais. It's like they new if you ate too many tarts, you would need a diet.

Ellis - How are you doing? How is dad?

And hello to the rest of the chicks!

Today is mom's birthday, and I think she gets a whole birthday week this year. We have a bunch of things planned. Sis#1 goes back to school today. I am so proud of her. She will be taking classes 4 nights, working part time the other 3 and taking care of her son during the day. Got a package from the boy today. He sent me a few of his things I had wanted to steal, an actual handwritten letter & his business card. I love it. Also had a meeting with upper management and they are optimistic about the job situation. I would like to stay where I am, as long as my position and my team mates are around also. I like the people I am with. I also really like my boss, even if he does drive me nuts sometimes.

• Squeak, Dad is doing GREAT, thank you! Apparently he got up early yesterday morning, made coffee, and took it up to Mom in bed. (he's only supposed to take the stairs once a day, but I think he's overcome THAT one! ) He is determined to get well!
    I hope your Mom has a wonderful birthday! What a nice idea, Squeak... a birthday week...
    And that's great news re: your job. AND your package from the boy.

Where the heck is everyone?

DH is finished his holidays, and is going back to work today. I'm going to make him a special meal and clean the house. He'll be so surprised, he'll faint dead away.
  • Ellis-You are nicer than I am by far!!! I need to go grocery shopping today, but it is storming here and I don't want to go..... I am VERY glad to hear that your Dad is doing so well! And how nice of him to take coffee to your Mom in bed!!

Squeak-Sounds like things are starting to turn around for you a bit. Good to hear about your job and the boy's package! Your Mom is going to LOVE that!! Birthday week (or month!) is THE way to go!!!

Lidian-YOU DON'T LIKE BUTTER TARTS?!?!?! It just took 1 and I'm now addicted!! Good thing I DON'T live in Canada!! (And I don't say THAT too often!!) Glad to hear that you had a nice vacation.....but glad to see you back! We missed you!!

Mauvais-Appropriate, eh? Good thing I am NOT on weight watchers, because I would be using all my points for them!!!

Thanks for all the good wishes. The visitation was a little rough, but Beulah was glad that we came, so it was worth it.
  • Hi Gang!

I usually post on the South Beach Thread. Ellis invited me over here with y'all. I look forward to getting to know you all. Me I'm 41 married ( well not legally but have been living in sin for 14 years) no kids by choice, 3 spoiled rotten pets. Anything else ya wanna know just ask away.
  • Den, you know very well that I am NOT a nice person! (better get some meat out of the freezer... next thing you know it'll be 5 o'clock, and I'll have to get a take-out...) Could you pick me up a 24 pack of toilet roll while you're out?
    Lidian only eats PEPS.
    Love and hugs for you and Beulah and her family.

Sflake, I'm so glad you're joining us... welcome!
    WAIT A MINUTE!! You're NOT married!? GET OUT!! 14 years is PRETTY DAMNED GOOD for not being legally married!
    And "No kids by choice"... cool. I have a LOT of respect for people who actually take the time to think about whether or not they should have children. There are far too many lousy and irresponsible parents out there. (hmmm... that didn't come out right. I didn't mean that YOU would be a lousy parent, Sflake! )
    How's your sister doing?

I must get out some cleaning supplies and get busy. ho hum...
  • Ellis sweetie I know what you mean. It 's not that I don't love em it was just never right for us. Love to have my brothers kids over love it even better when they go home lol.

Sis is ok, thanks for asking. For those who are interested my sister lives with us and has MS. I kinda look after her, and she after me. MS is like roulette ya never know what your going to get. Like everyone else you have good days and bad days.

How sweet is your Dad Ellis...taking your Mom coffee in bed no less. After all those years together and still so sweet. Like I always say, it's the little things.

Gotta go get some work done hugs to all.
  • I am so happy about your dad doing so well, Ellis! That is very nice of him to take coffee to your mom - my FIL does that for my MIL only it is tea.

And I missed all of you too! I was thinking about you while I was away, wondering how you all were.

Welcome sflake! Hope you post here a lot!

Den, I don't know why I don't like butter tarts...I am a landed immigrant, which may explain it a little (I am American, originally, but have not lived down south for roughly half my life - and feel that Canada is my home). I don't like pecan pie or mincemeat either, so it may be the stickiness. And shortbread also is not my thing. Ellis has me pegged all right - Peps rule my world! (And Andes chocolate mints too, and After Eights - that whole chocolate/mint thing).

Squeak, hope your mom has a lovely birthday week (I am going to try and make THAT a tradition for moms around this house! what a great idea!)

And hi to everyone else and hope your day is going well --

Lidian
  • Hello Alternachicks! Checking in for today.

I am so glad your dad is doing well Ellis! How did dinner go?

Den - I am starting to feel better. I am on another one of my "get organized"/"get motivated" kicks. How are YOU?

Welcome to the nuthouse Sflake!!! Being an aunt is awesome, isn't it?

Lidian - what exactly are Peps? Are they York peppermint patties or something?

Today was a descent day. Nothing too exciting. I am watching a special on Warren Zevon (an odd, but cool musician), and making mom pizelles. Also trying to finish cleaning up. A very normal day, but I have been feeling good about normal days lately.
  • Hey, ellis is back! Glad to hear your Dad is doing well.

Been MIA...working deadly hours these days, and just plain pooped when I get home.

Hiya Sflake!

Buttertarts....MMMMMM I like 'em with pecans.

Can you girls believe it's the end of August already? Holy crow, where did the summer go? hey, that rhymes!

Just popping by to say hello....I'll sneak up on you later.
  • Squeak that is right - Peps are the cheap (loonie store, 2 for a loonie) version of York peppermint patties (though Yorks are creamier and more pepperminty, Peps are more like fondant and less sharply minty)...you can see I have done an in-depth study.

To make up for my butter tart issues I will say I love a lot of Canadian treats, some of which are no longer around like Maple Buds (yum! my first Canadian candy!), and dutchies, and Tim Hortons coffee and muffins. And Smarties, and scotch mints.

There is more but I can't think of it all right now -

Lidian
  • Lidian-I'm just teasing!!! While I DON'T generally like sweets as much as most people I LOVE shortbread, trifle, chocolate, cheesecake, and pecan pie is pretty good too!!! Tim Horton's is actually down here in the US now, but they don't carry all the stuff they have in Canada. I am NOT a doughnut lover, so i WISH they DID carry the butter tarts here!!!!! Probably is best they don't though!!!!!

Wildfire-SNEAK ALL YOU WANT!! Love to see ya here!!!

Squeak-Warren Zevon is great!! he has such an incredible attitude about his cancer too. Wish it were operable. i'm doing okay, except that I slept most of the day today. I need to get working, and instead I am catatonic!!!!!

Sflake-HI!!! Welcome aboard the alternachick whirlwind.....I wish i could see my sister more often. Not sure I could stand her living with me though!!! I think it is great that you and your sister are so close.

Ellis-I'll get your bog rolls if YOU get something for me to cook for dinner tomorrow!!! (WOW! THAT would be pretty counterproductive, wouldn't it?) I DIDN'T go shopping, DIDN't work, only cooked a box of coconut shrimp for dinner, and DH picked up some french fries. I am REALLY having a bad time with the food right now. I think most if not all of the bad stuff is gone now though, so hopefully that will FORCE me to stay on track.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I thought peps were those sugar marshmellow chicks you get a Easter LOL. I had a bit of a fight with a bag of peanut M&Ms yesterday...lets just say it wasn't pretty and the bag lost. Ellis advised me to put them down the toilet, also said that Lidian had a great solution.

So Lidian, want to share your advise on what to do with those snacks you should not eat.

I have been off track myself...I'm gonna go slap myself silly...
  • Morning, darlings...

Sflake, you get back on track today, girl! And you too, Den! And you too, Ellis!

Bog rolls, Den?! BOG ROLLS!?!?! Oh, yuck!! What a term!
    Sugar pie? Ever had sugar pie? French Canadian, I think.

Lidian, have you ever had that Smartie ice cream? Yum!

Thank you, Wildfire.
    Huh. You're a honkin' poet. Yeah...August... the kids are back at school next week. Den's are already back. Next thing you know we'll have 3 feet of snow. Crazy.

Squeak, sounds you're doing okay. Hang in there, sweetie. Hey, the dinner was pretty good, thanks. Very healthy, and DH appreciated sitting around the table with the family again. We tend to get lazy during the summer, and everyone is off doing their own "dinner thing".

Where the **** is Ruth?

We went to the library last night, and got caught in a HUGE downpour on our way back to the car. We were SOAKED, and laughed our heads off. When we got home I discovered I'd hit a nerve in my butt from running, and spent the evening in agony. Trying to find a comfortable position in bed... ouch!
    That was fascinating, wasn't it. So fascinating that I'm tempted to delete it. But I'm too lazy...