Maintainers Weekly Chat June 15 - June 21

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
    This is the exact top I'm wearing today. I bought five of them--all in different prints. It's really perfect for days like today when it is supposed to top 113 degrees outside.
  • Nice! It certainly is hot where you are, Allison.

I had to laugh at the copywriters who couldn't decide between 'hanky hem' and "sharkbite hem' - or perhaps they thought both would capture everyone's interest.
  • Very cute top, Allison! Love the prints too. I didn't know you could order online from Nordstrom Rack. A new one just opened near me-- I haven't been there yet but I'm dying to...
  • 113 degrees? You're kidding; I thought that was Death Valley temperature. Has it always been that hot where you live, or is this the effect of global warming? Where in SoCal are you anyway?
  • Quote: 113 degrees? You're kidding; I thought that was Death Valley temperature. Has it always been that hot where you live, or is this the effect of global warming? Where in SoCal are you anyway?
    Andrea, I'm in Palm Desert, just down the road from Palm Springs. And yes, those temperatures are pretty normal. 110's in June, July and August. The record yesterday was 118, but we actually only hit 109 despite the prediction of 113. I'm not sure what the highest temperature recorded here is, but I know we've seen over 120 before. You learn to cope. Park in the shade if you have to go out. Always have water with you. Stay indoors as much as possible. It's really only unbearable if your AC goes out! I do feel bad for our employees--doing construction outside is hard. We try to schedule the outside stuff early in the morning and indoor work in the afternoon. The hottest part of the day is typically around 4 PM and they've gone home by then.
  • Allison - love that top, hate that temperature. We are going to get to 98 here today, hottest so far this summer.
  • Quote: Allison - love that top, hate that temperature. We are going to get to 98 here today, hottest so far this summer.
    Yeah, but you have to deal with humidity, too. At least we have a very short monsoonal season that brings humidity in the afternoons (in August).
  • Hot and humid here in Appalachia. Being this hot, this early in the year might not bode well.

Been quite a while since I've checked in here, but glad to see lots of familiar names still around.

This summer marks 14 years in maintenance for Marti and I. We've been lucky to have remained pretty steady with the inevitable hiccups of life.

Hope you are all well!

John
  • Good to see you, John! 14 years? That's wonderful.
  • John to 14 years!

Dagmar
  • Congrats on those 14 years, John.
  • John, that's an awesome feat. Congrats!

Michigan's weather is just doing what it's always famous for - changing. I could live without the swings in humidity.
  • Good to hear from you, John! Hopefully one day we can all come here and report our 14 years (or more) of successful maintaining!
  • Thanks everyone!
  • John - amazing! 14 years!

Allison - cute tops! That's so awesome that you went down to an 8. That's about what I am and a few 6's too. In the past when I dieted I would get down to a size 8 for about 10 minutes and then I would shoot back up again. This time, it's staying off!

Dropped DD and DH off at the airport early this AM - they are headed to NYC to look for an apartment for her. Then I go in a couple weeks to help her buy stuff and get settled. That's her graduation present - a bed, and set up the apartment. Instead of Manhattan where she was originally thinking she was going to look for an apartment, she is thinking of Astoria- Queens.

Have a good weekend everyone!