Is there a drug that counteracts weight gain side effect?

• I've gained over 100lbs on Abilify. Not kidding. I need to lose weight but I get so hungry that I can't control it. It's highly overwhelming. But this drug actually works for me so I'm afraid to try something else... Help?
  • I'm so sorry. So many of these types of meds cause the intensity of hunger you're describing. I wish I had a satisfactory answer for you, but all I can offer is the advice to ask the doctor who prescribed it for you.
  • I'm on a similar type of medication and have experienced increased hunger as well. I find that a high protein diet helps stop the hunger and helps me lose weight. If the medication is causing you to put on weight for other reasons then I suggest you change medication. I've changed medication due to weight gain and it isn't as scary as it seems. Hope that helps.
  • I looked this up for you:
    What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?

Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:

allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
    breathing problems
    confusion
    feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
    fever or chills, sore throat
    increased hunger or thirst
    increased urination
    joint pain
    muscles pain, spasms
    problems with balance, talking, walking
    restlessness or need to keep moving
    seizures
    suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
    trouble swallowing
    uncontrollable head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements
    unusually weak or tired

Increased hunger needs to be reported to your Dr.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...abilify/AA8TKi
  • I've been on the same med and am now on Quetiapine. I feel your pain for sure as I'm up around 50lbs.

REally hope you can get some support from your doctor or work through the weight loss.
  • I'm sure this is not a new suggestion but have you had your thyroid checked?
    I'm hypothyroid and it's a bear to lose wt.
  • Talk to you Dr. about the weight gain and concerns. There are other options availble. I was on sertraline but was having trouble with weight control. I brought it up to my Dr. and I was switched to bupropion about 2 years ago and that has helped me alot.