Considering the South Beach Diet

• I have been walking for 6 weeks now and have not lost any weight. In fact, I gained a pound. I also use a gym for strength training. I feel like I have a good fitness routine going.

Now it is time to really focus on my nutrition. I am considering the South Beach Diet. I am going to read the stickies and check out the food list. I don't have the book.

Any tips?
  • Get the book for sure so you have all the information. It's been out for a while and may be available used. It's important to understand the concept behind this way of life.
  • losinitnow, I am starting my 2nd week on SB. And I can tell you that I feel better now then I did a week ago. (Unfortunately I forgot to take my weight and measurements a week ago, so I don't know how I did that way)

But I will say I feel better by just following the plan and getting rid of excess junk food and needless eating.

I would get the book like Ruth mentioned. The one thing I really need is support and that I think will be a problem for me. I appreciate 3FC, but there isn't a lot of activity from starters on the plan. Unless, I am looking in the wrong place.

But the plan is diffidently doable. Give it a try, what do you have to lose that you don't want to.
  • Thanks I will get the book
  • Hi losingitnow, welcome! I love SBD and find it very easy to follow. It was a mental paradigm shift to feel ok about having some fat and lowering carbs for me when I started (back in 2010), but now all the news is saying this is the healthiest way to eat! An easy primer for Phase 1 (although I definitely agree you should get the book) is to eat the following each day:
    -at least 4 cups of veggies
    -2 servings of dairy
    -1/2 cup beans or legumes
    -unlimited lean protein
    -cheese if you like it, within reason
    -healthy oils and fats including nuts

When you move on into Phase 2, you'll start adding fruits and some healthy carbs. But get the book - and post here!
  • Mmckellen, how do you get in those 4 cups of veggies? I am assuming you are not talking about beans when you say veggies?