Energy Drink alternatives

• I posted yesterday about fruits and got wonderful responses!!! Today, on behalf of my husband, I'm looking for energy drink alternatives.

To put it in perspective, my husband and I work afternoons, from 3-11:30 most days and he has a half hour commute. He works six days a week doing security and often times works lots of OT due to high demand. He doesnt usually use energy drinks if he can help it, but it happens once a week or so that he needs the pick me up and the only thing we've been relying on is energy drinks.

I know getting more sleep is ideal and the best for your body... But its not always an option. Sometimes he has only a six hour turn around. He can't shorten his hours either because he works at a high clearance site and they don't have enough guards right now because it takes two months to get the clearance. Part of security means that they can't leave the site unattended, so if anything goes wrong, he can't just end his shift as normal. Are their any foods or more healthy things that can give him the energy he needs?