How much weight can I lose realistically in 1 month

• Hi,
    I know this is a hard question to answer not knowing me but I'll give you some details.
    Im 20 years old, I currently weigh 163 pounds (up until the last 2 years ive always been tiny and weighed around 119 pounds so I am naturally smallish.
    If I eat clean every day and ride my bicycle to and from work (3 kms each way) and at home to sit ups etc,
    How many kilos can I lose?

• It's hard to say, generally 1-3 lbs a week would be average weight loss for changing to a healthy lifestyle if you're doing it a sustainable way.
  • Quote: Hi,
    I know this is a hard question to answer not knowing me but I'll give you some details.
    Im 20 years old, I currently weigh 163 pounds (up until the last 2 years ive always been tiny and weighed around 119 pounds so I am naturally smallish.
    If I eat clean every day and ride my bicycle to and from work (3 kms each way) and at home to sit ups etc,
    How many kilos can I lose?

Eating clean won't make you lose weight (though it has other benefits). Eating less is what's required. Assuming you eat 1,500 cals per day or less and exercise regularly, I would expect you to lose around 1 kg per week at your age. Just a guess based on my knowledge and experience, of course.

F.
  • If you cut carbs to 20 or less, don't cheat AT ALL and ride your bike, I would think you could lose 15-20 lbs easily.
  • Here you go a live example of myself.

I stared dieting and exercising properly (10,000 steps a day) in Mid October and till December 24th. I went from 80.2kg to 72.6) then Christmas happened and didn't stick to it properly but in that time I lost 7.6kg (16.7551 pounds) over 73 days.

That means (on average) i lost just over 0.7kg or 1.54324 pounds a week.

Hope this helps
  • I think it varies quite a bit person to person, I'm 23, and I know for me at least, as long as I control my eating and keep my calorie count low, as well as limit my carb intake and dont drink soda, that, along with 5 days of cardio a week I can easily lose 15 pounds a month.

You just have to watch what you eat. I think that is one of the major things, journal your food if you can, or (if you have a smartphone) get an app like LoseIt! or MyFitnessPal which you can log your foods on to watch your daily intake. When I'm really trying to lose I tend to eat a lot of protein (meat, eggs, stuff like that, Im not into whey), healthy fats, legumes (higher in carbs but better carbs), just healthy things in smaller quantities. And if you eat more protein you'll generally feel fuller for longer so won't eat as much.

Hope that helps, good luck!
  • There is no way to predict this!

I'm 55, and an old hand at all of this. "IF" I choose, I can drop 2 to 3 pounds in a week.

However, as an old hand at maintaining. I've learned about balance!

I have found my "sweet spot" !

This is not about food restriction or tons of workouts, it's about balance!

It's about, doing all of the "right" things most days, but also giving yourself, a pass now and then. One skipped workout, is not the end, one slice of wedding cake, does no undo, your life!

Patience! It is a lifestyle! IT, is something you can sustain, for the long haul! Not just a week or 2 or 3!
  • Why not try it and find out? Trying to plan ahead for something that is so difficult to predict will only leave you disappointed.
  • i agree. each person and body is different. Best wishes on your WOE one day at a time.
  • Quote: Why not try it and find out? Trying to plan ahead for something that is so difficult to predict will only leave you disappointed.
    Definitely!
  • How much weight can I lose realistically in 1 month
    Your metabolism has an important role to play apart from other factors like your age, and current weight. It's difficult to predict an exact number. I agree that you need to try it and find out. Keep reminding yourself what you are trying to achieve. It will help you to keep focus whenever you go off track.