Things about Weight loss you are good at!!!

• Since I've been in a bit of a funk (had the flu, which means I haven't been working out and just eating whatever is given to me instead of using energy to make healthy meals) I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the things about our weight loss journey we are good at! Things you've learned about yourself, ways you've surprised yourselves. We all have struggles and areas we fail at, but let's look at what we can do! It doesn't even have to be just weight loss related entirely, maybe you discovered something else about yourself in this journey. Maybe you didn't know you could be so confident in a lair of heels or something. You tell me!

So I'll start! I hate exercise (except swimming) but what I HAVE learned about myself is how good I am at picking myself back up from "cheat" moments. I never knew I had this much self control over food.. And that I could live without belittling myself. Had a cupcake with some kids? That's okay!!! It means a lunch later with less carbs and more veggies to balance out. Ended the day with a serving of Costco fries? No need to give up or feel bad. Tomorrow can be a lower calorie day with tasty fruity treats and less pasta. It's only a cheat moment if you give up, otherwise it's just part of a normal week with a little balance. And who knew I could do it and do it so well?

I've also really good at walking... I look for more opportunities to just get up and move, even with a desk job. May not be weight lifting, swimming or running or more intense exercise like that but I'm good at it! And I never knew that about me before

So how about you, where do you excel in this journey? Let's be positive together!
  • Here goes, nice idea.

I love exercise. It took 4 decades, but I really enjoy it. What a waste of time thinking I used to dislike it so avoiding it. But better late than never.

I am a weight loss expert, at least when it comes to my body. It's been a lot of fun working out what works for my body and that which does not. And I mean that...fun.

I am very good at experimenting and making the cut. I have been very experimental with my diet, adding a little thing here, cutting another there and adjusting it to see what works. I was surprised how adaptable I have been at that as I am such a creature of habit. I gave up steelcut oats today, just to see what happens.
  • Another exercise hater turned athletic. Never in a million years did I think I would become a runner. Ever. I remember trying to jog back in 2002 after my son was born and I couldn't even make it 5 minutes and quit. Now I've been at it 3 years straight.

What am I really good at? Staying committed to exercise.

Bad at? Portion control. :/ I can pass up cake but put meat and potatoes in front of me and it's game on.
  • I love this too! Thanks for starting it!

I'm good at finding ways to motivate and pump myself up! I have a motivation wall at home and I give myself non-food related rewards now, which has helped me develop a healthier relationship with food!

I also am good at getting creative in the kitchen- calories are precious and I have become the master of the delicious, filling, low-cal meal! <3 Blueberry & pineapple shrimp stir-fry anyone!?
  • I'm an awesome cook, and I'm a great meal planner. I don't have any issues with the amount or foods that I eat.
  • Like SenseandSensibility - I'm also really good at getting back on the wagon after a cheat meal or binge.

I'm also really good about my meals - I've started to crave healthy foods and am constantly looking for healthy alternatives for classic dishes.
  • Im really good at creative healthy dinners. Tried a variation of crack slaw with my own twist. Its fantastic. I love crunch and it has the crunch I crave.

Im good at sticking to goals. Im very slow athletically and finally got under a 10 minute mile on the elliptical. I know its not a treadmill, but my knees tolerate elliptical better.
    I can also finally do a squat..i don't think my form is perfect, but its a lot better than it was. I used to fall over a lot. Now i almost never lose balance.
  • Yet another former exercise hater (avoider, dreader) now in love with exercise. Or more so addicted to it...I am a runner but stopped at 31 weeks because the jarring was getting painful...so I bought a bike trainer and while I've typically neglected my bike for running, I have found a new love for biking as well! I'm excited to continue with biking as regular cross training when I am finally back to running after the baby is born. This entire pregnancy exercise has not been about weight loss at all!! Because I'm gaining, so its been purely motivate by my love for exercise and the hope of an easier labor.

I also love to cook, and healthy. I eat clean most of the time, so I cook clean as well. I have no issues not eating fast food or that stuff. I do like sweets, so I will eat homemade cookies and sometimes candy. But that's not even the problem.

My problem like Novangel PORTION CONTROL!! I can make a nutritious, low cal meal...and eat enough to make it a high calorie event.