What to do with plain yogurt

• I bought a container of plain greek yogurt to use for a recipe and I have a lot left over... what can I do with it? I'm not a fan of eating it plain as it has that sourish tangy taste. I was thinking of adding some frozen berries but they're also quite tart and I don't want to add too much (or any) sugar.

So... what can I do with this stuff?
  • I use it in my fruit and veggie smoothies. It's also a replacement for sour cream in pretty much any situation. Last night I used it on tacos. The other day, I stirred some into chicken that I had cooked in salsa and broth. I use it on baked potatoes. I use it in curries. With lemon, ginger and spices for a chicken tandoori marinade. Etc, etc, etc...

The yogurt plus berries and a teaspoon of honey would make for a nice breakfast, maybe topped with granola.
  • Maybe I'll have to look up so,e smoothie recipes. I've always wanted to try make them. Some really good ideas there. Sounds so good with the honey and granola. Mmmm
  • Definitely smoothies. Add some frozen fruit and honey and then you won't need to add any sugar/sweetener.
  • Plain yogurt makes a great coating for healthy oven fried chicken! Here is the recipe;

Healthy Oven Fried Chicken
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2-3 lb fryer cut into serving pieces, skin removed
    1C plain non-fat yogurt
    1/2 to 1 cup of your favorite whole grain cereal, crushed
    2 tsp. salt (I use only 1)
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine cereal, salt, paprika & pepper, set aside. Coat ckicken by brushing on yogurt. Coat in cereal mixture. Bake at 350 degrees on a pan sprayed with butter spray for 20-25 minutes. Turn over and bake another 20-25 minutes.

*Oven times may vary. My oven runs hot.
    *Variations: Add 1/4 tsp. garlic powder & 1/2 tsp. crushed tarragon to coating mix.

NOTE: If you don't like the tangy taste of plain yogurt add some agave sweetener to it (or other sweetener of your choice).

I use sugar free Torani coffee syrups and I sometimes toss a splash of vanilla or other flavor syrup in my plain yogurt to change it up.
  • Chocolate cheesecake pudding:
    Follow directions on fat free sugar free chocolate pudding mix, except substitute 1/2 the milk for plain Greek yogurt - you'll get chocolate cheesecake pudding with more protein than regular chocolate pudding.
  • i always eat 1/2 carton of plain Greek yogurt but i sweeten it with stevia (yea i know most people don't like it but if you get a good brand, it's fine, imo) lots of blueberries, almond butter and 1/2 pkg of sugar free pudding mix, lemon has been awesome but i also use vanilla, pistachio, etc.
  • I eat plain Greek yogurt nearly every day (the store I go to stopped carrying skyr - it's horrible!) for breakfast. I like to add some combination of the following:

-maple syrup
    -fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
    -banana (helps counter the sour taste)
    -granola cereal
    -almonds

It's also good for making a curry or really any other creamy sauce. If you got the fat free kind be careful with the temperatures so it doesn't separate.
  • I eat plain yogurt twice a week with fruits
  • I have greek yogurt at least 3x a week for breakfast. I usually put half a tablespoon of honey (only 30 cal) per 3/4 cup of greek yogurt. If I have fresh fruit, I'll toss those in as well. Sometimes I'll add chia seeds or a little bit of granola for some texture.

Also, like a few others mentioned, it works as a great replacement for cream or sour cream. I love to use it when cooking Indian, or creating healthy veggie dips.