Stay at home Mom's #78

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Stay at home Mom's #78
    Welcome to a thread full of encouragement, humor and support. Feel comfortable to join us all newcomers and regulars as we share our lives while losing weight. Be sure to go back to SAHM's #77 to check up on what has been going on in our lives.
    Hope you are having a Great OP Day!
    We are glad you are here!!

Ginny
  • Hi!
    Great to be back......and get a little bit of time online.

Tami- welcome back!!!!! It is always good to have an "old" friend back, when someone stops posting, I always wonder why that is and hope that nothing awful has happened. Great that you can join us again .

Spryng- sounds like Tanner is still doing great......and you too.
    Is Dh into his new training now? Hope that you enjoyed eating out too! No, I did not WI this week- TOM just started and I am feeling bloated. Also, my scale reads differently than the one at WW, so I stick with theirs and use mine just to compare. My WW buddy and I are planning to go next week, when things settle down.

Karen- sounds like you are healing nicely, and will be feeling pretty good soon!!!!! Great! I'll continue to pray for you.

Kristi- good for you losing 4# in July!!!!!!! Losing weight at the perfect rate, a pound a week......and it usually stays off better that way too! Congrats. We also have the library online- which, for me (a reader) is dangerous. You can see what books all libraries have....I'm like a kid in a candy shop!!

Ricci- hope that you can get more time to post. Good for you getting your workout in!

Thankfully, the trial ended yesterday. In a nutshell, here is the case. 4 years ago, a fairly youthful grandmother took her gs to the ER. He had been sick for several days, and the Dr told her to take him to the ER to check for dehydration. While in the waiting room, the Gs threw up two times - and she took him to the bathroom to clean him up. So, she had to walk to the chair she sat on 3X- once when she first came in, and the two returns from the potty. The furniture was "gang" furniture, 6 or 7 chairs all connected together (one frame for the whole unit) with an attached end table. When the Gs's name was called to be seen, she picked up all her stuff (2 coats, diaper bag, purse and kid blanket), walked toward the nurse and tripped over the end table. We had conflicting testimony regarding where the end table was, and where she fell. The gs was uninjured, the plaintiff injured her elbow. Much later that injury required surgery. And we found out after the trial that the surgery was botched- and she is claiming that she has lost use of her arm from that.
    Well, I could go on for pages on this- suffice it to say that the plaintiff made a wonderful actress....rubbed the arm and looked sadly when you were looking at her, but voila!!!! was able to move it just fine and gesture with it while on the witness stand.
    Also, her attorney (typical ambulance chaser type)- seemed intent on disobeying the judge, made nasty comments, was rude to witnesses, and never found or brought out the"smoking gun" to blame the hospital. Our first job was to decide if the hospital was negligent. Gosh, the case was so obvious (and all the other jurors felt the same way) from day 1........I felt so bad for this woman, and really prayed day after day that if there was some way I could help this woman, that the Lord would quickly show it to us. She was pitiful. But, it became more and more obvious that the accident, no matter how bad it was, was her fault, not the hospitals. So we decided that there was no negligence... and the case did not have to go on for the "pain and suffering" portion, where she would be awarded a settlement. What we did not know, until after the case was over was this: (the baliff told us this after the verdict)- the hospital had offered the woman a sizeable out of court settlement (we figure it had to be $500,000) which she rejected. Her pain and suffering lawsuit- which we would have been the jury for if we found the hospital negligent was for $2 million!!!!!!!! Even the judge congratulated us on our verdict (he never gave us his opinion, but he did thank us for being a "good" jury). So after all this feeling bad for the plaintiff, she was just greedy- or cruely mislead by a sneaky, creepy attorney. Boy am I ever glad that case is over!!!!!! But, (and I know it was hard to get all this in words) I do feel we made the right decision, the right verdict and found the truth. I just feel bad for this woman.......

Well, enough of me babbling.....now you know my whole court case saga. No walk today, too tired, too crampy- but glad to be with my kids! Gotta go and email something for Dh. Have a great weekend!!!!!!!
    Ginny
  • Good evening all!
    I'm on my way to bed but I wanted to say hello and no I didn't get to eat out today... but tomorrow I better! lol
    Ginny I'm glad the trial is over and it sounds like you and the rest of the jury made the right decision. What an interesting case... hmmm... it always makes you wonder though when people hurt themselves and sue for it and she wasn't smart not to settle out of court but I do believe in Karma.
    Well anway... I need to sleep. I am so tired. I'll chat with you all tomorrow!
  • Ginny, OMGsh I am so proud of you and your fellow jurors. SO often these cases seem so obvious to me also, but the jury gives in thinking the insurance can pay, etc... Looks like you people did the right thing. Now me, I'd love to be a juror on one of thos trials where they're suing McD's for making them fat. These people are so rediculous in my opinion.lol....Spryng, You tell dh you both deserve dinner out and then go for it...Have a great weekend ladies....Mine is going to be spent reorganizing my home. It's mid summer and it seems clothes and "kid stuff" are stacked everywhere. It happens every year, because I just like being outside so much, but the house is getting to the point I don't want to be in it. I hate clutter!

Kristi
  • Good morning!!!
    Dh and Dd just left to make a softball tape for college.....so it is quiet here now! They were sort of grating on each others nerves, and neither will back off.

Today is one of those patented NY HHH days, hazy, hot and humid- what I dislike most about summer. I just went out to the garden to pick the little bit of veggies that Bambi and Woody the woodchuck has left for us.....some lettuce and I think 5 string beans!!! Yes, we are doing our part to keep the local wildlife healthy, but not a whole lot to eat more fresh veggies ourselves.

Kristi- good for you getting your home reorganized! I fall to the same problem, and it is one reason why I dislike summer/spring.
    There is so much pressure to be out - nice weather, summer sports etc.....that often the inside of my house goes to shambles.
    Good luck restoring law and order inside!

Spryng- I agree with Kristi.....you and Dh deserve to get out for a bite to eat!!!!! And you can tell him we said so too! But I hope that you do, even if it is only for a soda. A change of scenery can do wonders.

Back onto the stupid court case....thanks for letting me purge last nite. After an intense week of it, it seemed so strange to come to such an abrupt end. I am sure that the plaintiff must feel the same, it has been years for her. The funny thing is that all week, until the jury is given the case for deliberation by the judge you are not allowed to discuss the case. Pretty tough when you are stuck in a room all day with the same people (either the court room or the jury room, where you wait for the judge or whatever).
    But all week, after being in general conversation with these people, you begin to get a feel as to how they might stand- based upon their opinions on other issues. We did have some persuading to do...the first two jurors wavered,more out of pity for the plaintiff than anything else, and the remaining 4 of us would not be swayed. Yeah, we joked about the Mickey D's law suits, making people fat (honestly, your honor, those super sized fries called my name!!!) and the hot coffee. Glad it is over!!!
    Not sure what today will bring. I might take Dd out to get her school supplies (she is anxious to do so).
    It is hot today, I might take another day off from walking. But my eating is fine so far, and I am drinking lots of water.
    Gotta go, MIL just called.
    Have a great day!!!!!
    Ginny
  • Hi all, It's anHHH Wis. days today too. Here we have not had measurable rain in almost 3 weeks. Surprisingly the weeds in my garden continue to grow unimpeeded lol. Reorganizing went well until I broke up the same argument between dd and ds forthe second time. It then went to, "get over here and find somewhere for this stuff!!!!!" at the top of my lungs. Picking on each other just drives me crazy. Probably because all my sibs. were at least 6 y/oer than me so we I didn't deal with too much of that. I offered 2 logical solutions the first time around and obviously they ignored my advice. So, my house is neater but I probably don't want to look in the closets until fall lol. Thanks for listening to my rant. Ginny, I hope you and dd have a great time. She must be really good at softball if you're doing the vid. and scouting thing. Is there a possibility for a scholarship in her future? My eating's going good too and I plan to walk early eve. I need to get out alone. The exercise vids offered a nice change, but I now nee solitude!

Kristi
  • Hi!
    Kristi- boy it sure sounds like you need a nice quiet walk by yourself. I hope that you get one in!!!! (I just snuck in a 2 miler myself). I know when I walk early in the am, a lot of the time I sing (silently so as not to scare the skunks!) "the steadfast love of the Lord never faileth, His mercies never come to an end, they are new every morning.........". It brings some peace after my feuding kids!!!! So sorry that your children are picking on each other. Sometimes logical solutions just do not work with kids, I found that out the hard way!!!!! Hang in there, you'll get a fresh start tomorrow.
    Yes, Dd is a great softball player, and has gotten the attention of some college coaches. A scholarship is a possibility. I crept out for a walk to get a breather from her and Dh, both of whom can be so intense! That walk felt so good, hhh weather and all. So far my eating is good too, I am under points (21) for the day and getting a bit hungry now. Gotta go hit the diet jello!
    Well, Dh wants the 'puter...better scoot.
    Have a great nite.
    Ginny
  • Good evening all!
    Well today has been a LONG one. Shopping shopping shopping. Paid some bills, got groceries and finally went out to eat. I splurged a little on my meal and didn't do great at low fat or anything, I just wanted a good meal today. So eating today wasn't great but I always have tomorrow to make it right. Plus all the walking we did in the stores helped burn some off plus thse grocery baskets got heavy!! So I call that strength training! lol We got home too late for a walk but I'll make up for that tomorow. I'll also eat lighter tomorrow to offset the damage I caused today.
    Ginny sounds like you had a great OP day! And Kristi I hope you got that walk also. I love taking walks by myself. I'm glad I live in a neighborhood that I can walk by myself and not worry about crime much. I have good neighbors so far.
    What's your plan for tomorrow?? I plan on church, then I'm having my SIL over for a late lunch and maybe a movie and then she wants to join me on my walk tomorrow evening. So I'll have someone to chat with. It should be nice.
    I guess I need to get in bed. Talk to you all tomorrow.
  • Hi ladies,

I just wanted to drop a quick line to let y'all know I'm still hanging in there! However, I was put on strick bed rest a week ago because my contractions started and also got regulated and were getting close together. So, we ended up at the hospital and they managed to get them all but stopped, and sent me home with meds and stricrt bed rest orders (which I'm breaking by sitting here at my PC!) but I had to drop in to let you ladies know that we're alright! I go to the DR. on Thursday, and I'm hoping she'll take me off the meds. since I'll be so close to 37 weeks!?!

I hope everyone is doing great, and I'll check back as soon as I can! Take care!!!
  • Hi!
    Just a quick hello. Dh has me here again to check some college stuff out for Dd..........who is not cooperating! (They are fighting like cats and dogs.)

Spryng- I hope that you get your company for a walk today!!!!
    Sometimes it is good to get all that shopping done- sort of gives you a feeling of accomplishment, as though you are "all set" for a while. (I'll be doing that tomorrow!!) Hope that your Sunday goes well.

Melissa- 37 weeks!!!!!!!!! Well almost...gosh it seems just yesterday that you told us about Myra. Bet you can't wait to see her sweet face. Hang in there, I'm glad that your contractions have slowed down...... I will be praying for you!

No walk yet- and with as creepy as the weather is here, I am not sure if I will get one in. We did go to church this am and in between Dh's requests, I am trying so hard to get a few stitches on Dd's dress in between. Not too easy....
    Gotta go, hope you are having a great weekend.
    Ginny
  • Ginny, Thanks for all the encouragment. I ended up getting a walk, but with my 3 y/0 and my 10 y/o it wasn't quite the same, but I still felt somewhat better. Enough of a change to make it through until bedtime lol. I hope your dh and dd can get through this without giving you too much grief. It has to be very intense for both of them working so closely together on something that may effest a great deal of her life! I'll pray that you all get through and she off to college happy and healthy!....Spryng, It sounds like you had a great day I'm so happy that you got to get out. I totally believe in having basicaly free days from time to time. Otherwise I start to feel so deprived that I way over do it. Enjoy your time with your SIL....Melissa, I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Bed rest must be so difficult, but soon your beautiful Myra will be here and it will all be forgotten.......Me, having a great day yeah! Started with church all 4 children good as gold even while I served communion they gave dear old dad no trouble. They even used terrific manors during fellowship, yippee! Not that they're ever that bad, sometimes I just perceive them that way. (shame on me) I'll be busy with VBS all this week as I'm the coordinator for 3 churches. I met with the camp councellors who will actually run the program from 9am - 3pm Mon - Thurs. They seem like a wonderful group of young people. After meeting with them I rode my bike 5 miles home. Between services, fellowship, and the exercise I feel like myself again. Thankfully! Thanks to all of you for bareing with me yesterday! Have a great day!

MW 2 / MB 5 / VIDS 1

Kristi
  • Kristi- I know, sometimes you think your own kids are just the most awful during services........but usually they are not as bad as you think. (9 times out of 10 is it the person who does not care, or notice their own kids noise that is the worst!) Glad you got a walk in- well, it did not sound as peaceful as you wanted, but still better than no walk! Just think, you are instilling the joy of fresh air and excercise in your children when you take them with you. I sometimes walk the development- or I should say jog with Dd on her bike. She is patient and will wait for her mama..... as she speeds down a hill or two! Thanks for your prayers- the warring factions have ceased fire for now!

Well, it has rained here most of the day-so no walk for me.
    My eating was wierd, I had lots of sweets, but still think I am within points range. And drank lots and lots of water. Make sure that you are too!!!!!
    Guess I'd better scoot. Have a great nite and see ya tomorrow!
    Ginny
  • Hello all!!!

Well, I had a pretty good day! Started out with church then off to the library, dropped some things off at Goodwill, and then I came home and exercised! I did 20 min on my treadmill and then did 20 min on my exercise bike...so I was quite pleased! I even had a fairly decent day with my eating! The only thing that was questionable was when we went out for chinese for lunch! Oh well! I'm learning to live with the fact that not everyday is going to be perfect and that is A-okay!

I'm in a MOMS club here in town and tomorrow is supposed to be our monthly Mom's night out. For some reason I'm not feeling all that social and am thinking about skipping it! I just know I will regret it if I don't go but I have to psych myself up for it!!! I'm also a little leary of totally pigging out since we will be grilling out and everyone is bringing a dish to pass!!! ARGH!

Ginny--That trial sounded sooo interesting...sounds like you all made the right decision! Are you on Weight Watchers? How much have you lost so far?

Spryng--So glad to hear that you had a nice dinner out! My dh and I are totally addicted to eating out! We have had to really cut down now that we're saving for a house!

Kristi--I know how you feel about your kids at church! Mine are usually pretty good but I feel like I'm constantly "SSSSHHH"ing them! BTW...I hope this isn't a touchy subject but do you all mind me asking what religion you are?

Melissa--Take care of yourself and the baby! She'll be here before you know it!!!

Well I hope everyone has a great day and I'll check in tomorrow!

Tami
  • Good morning all!
    Well the weekend was a bust in the exercise and eating department. i didn't get a walk in saturday and ALL my in-laws ended up coming for dinner on Sunday at which time I found out about some issues they were having with me. I didn't even realize they were upset with me... it makes me so mad. Mainly my MIL. (again) Saturday night after shopping all day with my SIL we went over to my MIL's house for dinner (my SIL lives there with her two kids) and as soon as we walked through the door my MIL started ordering my SIL around to do everything! It really got on my nerves. My MIL is so lazy. So I ended up helping my SIL clean up and get dinner going etc. Well I found out this really made my MIL angry. I don't really know why. I would think she would be happy all the housework and dinner got done but she doesn't think that way I guess. Then my SIL asked if she could come to dinner at my house on sunday to get away a little and I was ok with that. Well then I find out that my MIL in mad because "she" wasn't invited too. So on sunday my DH invites her also. We even rented a DVD my FIL has been dying to see. Then about 20 minutes before dinner is done she calls to say they aren't coming. UGH. SIL explains that I already made enough for everyone and got the DVD so she decides to go ahead and come too. AT this point I was nervous she would come and we'd have a BIG fight. (I have major PMS right now lol) But it turned out to be a calm evening . I could tell she was mad at me but never said anything. Needless to say I was stressed and so was my SIL who just wanted to come over and visit by herself with her kids. So my eating wasn't great yesterday and I didn't get a walk in. I was afraid if SIL and I took that walk then MIL would get even madder thinking we were leaving her behind (she can't walk with us because of her weight)
    So anyway... hopefully that all made sense. I'm typing really fast because this is my DH's first day of class (he is gone already) and Tanner is starting to wake up. I am so tired too.
    I'll try to check in later with you all. Have a great OP day!
  • HI Everyone!

I wanted to check in and let you know that I am doing fine. My surgery seems to have been a success. I am still sore and
    unable to lift weights, but I can start walking, biking or using the
    elliptical trainer today.

I do have to go on a Low Carb Diet as I have a resistance to insulin as well as Blood Sugar Stress. So today I also start Atkins. I am trying this approach to avoid medications and to stabilize my blood sugar naturally before I end up with Type II Diabetes. I have 70-80 pounds to lose to keep me at a normal weight as a prevention as well. I am still having to have more tests to determine if I have PCOS.

This is very scary for me as I have been brought up on the Low Fat / High Carb philosophy all my life, but I have read the book cover to cover, and talked to the doctors about my symptoms and have seen the compelling evidence that this will keep me from going the diabetes way. And it isn't like I cant have any carbs, just sugar products, white flour products and heavy starch carbs. Lots of veggies, and fruits after the second week. So other than not having to watch my fat intake, it should be rather a normal eating plan. Just no popcorn! or Ice Cream. But I'll live!

I promise to post more later.. I just had to share with you all what is going on. This is going to be harder than I thought!