Looking forward to weighing under 240?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone. I'm SO looking forward to weighing under 240. My goal weight is 150, so I have a LONG way to go. Anyone else going through the same thing?
  • I'm definitely looking forward to weighing under 240... That would put me at my lowest adult weight! Unfortunately I've still got about 40 pounds to go to get under 240... and with my goal weight being 165, I have quite a long way to go, too!
  • You're doing great! I'm just starting out. Do you have any advice for me?
  • It's different for everyone, but mainly it boils down to burning more fuel (calories) than you consume. I don't follow a specific plan, because restricting myself to certain foods or making others 'forbidden' leads me to crave to the point of binging on the 'bad' foods. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track of my calories and follow their calorie recommendations, based on my age, height, weight and activity level.

Also, with a lot to lose, it's much easier to break it up into chunks and not stare hard at the final goal that seems so far away. I've broken mine up into 10 pound chunks and I get a new book every time I hit a new "decade" of weight. I also set bigger mini-goals along the way with slightly bigger rewards (getting bigger as I lose more... getting under 300 was new shoes, getting out of the 'obese' category is a bunch of photography how-to stuff, hitting 100 pounds gone will be a new DSLR camera and lens, etc).

I also use a lot of technology stuff to help keep me going. I use this site, I use MFP (which is a website, and an app for smartphones) as well as a FitBit which tracks my activity through the day and syncs with MFP to help me keep my calories in order.

But that's what works FOR ME. You need to find something that works for you that you can stick with for the long run (meaning during weight loss, and after to maintain it). Find a food plan you love, and some physical activity you love, and it shouldn't be too hard.

As for progress... use different methods of measurement because the scale isn't always nice. Take measurements over several points of your body. Take pictures every month (usually I do both of these on the same day, the last day of the month). Track your fitness by challenging yourself to try harder things. This way, when the scale is stuck (and inevitably it will be at some point, no matter how 'good' you are), you can see your progress in other ways and you don't feel like "all is lost" and give up. That's what happened to me previously after I'd lost 50 pounds, the scale stopped moving, I stopped caring, and then gained back 80!
  • I'm looking forward to getting under 230 now, which is similar. When I started here I was 244, and hadn't been under 240 in a few years. So I've been where you are very recently. I'm a slow loser, only doing about 1lb a week.

I'm personally doing weight watchers on my own with some free online tools for points calculations. I use the 3FC forums as my support network.

MyFitnessPal, which is what Fera suggested, is really amazing too.

My main advice though, would be to experiment with different diets and meal plans. Find something that you can stick to easily, and that works for your lifestyle. You'll need to be able to continue doing it even after the weight comes off in order to keep maintenance up! Finding the right stuff can be difficult and very slow. I've yo-yo dieted for over 10 years. This time I seem to be good though. Been at WW for almost two months now, it's the longest I've ever kept with a diet change!

Oh, and whenever I find myself in need of some inspiration, I usually look through all the goal and mini-goal threads/pictures. Seeing real people who have had success tends to give me a little boost.
  • Thanks, Mandy. I'll check those things out. We can do this
  • Thanks, Sunarie. I'm eating 1200 calories a day (it's point-based; I found it in a Woman's Day magazine years ago and it really works but you have to stick with it) and trying to walk every day.

I have started dieting/exercising so many times and gave up that now my family just starts laughing (not in a mean way but because they think I'll give up on it) when I start dieting again.

It really helps me to hear everyone else's struggles too.
  • I have to ignore my family in a way when it comes to dieting. It's not that they're unsupportive.. more that they've never been as heavy as I am and they just don't get how I can't workout for as long as they do, or some of the mental struggles I've had to overcome/still deal with.

I'll still update them if they ask, or mention when I've lost more weight... but beyond that I don't use them for support at all. This site has been my savior regarding the support side. I hope you find what you need here too
  • Sorry for the double post! I forgot to mention, there's a "getting out of the 240's" thread in this section of the forum, if you hadn't seen it. It's sort of a game.. Right now I'm in the thread for getting out of the 230's and 220's.. once I get down below 220 then it's onto the two teens into Onederland thread and so on. I like them cause it sort of puts you with others around your similar weight range.. so lots of people going through your exact struggles.
  • I am! It was my goal to be under by Thanksgiving but I've been losing pretty well so I'm hoping by the middle of November!
  • I'll have to check out the other thread for weighing under 240. I can't wait to get there. Maybe a game would help me stay on track

Thanks for the support, sunarie. It really means a lot!

Keep up the good work.
  • Hi PeaceNLove. You can make it under 240 by Thanksgiving. I'm going to aim for that goal too. The holidays are so hard for me. I want to eat comfort food from Halloween through New Year's. Chatting with all of you is helping me stay on track.
  • My goal weight is 150 as well
  • Hi Terra. You're doing great. Keep up the good work.
  • Quote:
    I'll still update them if they ask, or mention when I've lost more weight... but beyond that I don't use them for support at all. This site has been my savior regarding the support side. I hope you find what you need here too
    I'm with you on this. MY family is very supportive but my in-laws don't understand weight issues at all! My mother-in-law think if I just take a little walk every day that I should lose the weight, or that I'm not eating the right things.....even though she has NO IDEA what I eat. Of course, she thinks is Queen of the world AND that she knows everything....in reality she's just annoying and doesn't have enough common sense to get in out of the rain!

In addition to the getting out of the 240's thread (I'm on there) there are both 5 lb Challenges and 2% body weight challenges that help you look at loosing in smaller chunks. It helps me to have a TON of mini goals!