~~The Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 3 of 32
Go to
  • Beautiful Morning!
    Hello ladies! We have cool weather!!!! Working as I do every Saturday, but only till 3pm and then payroll!! It never stops, but that is ok. My eating has been better but could always be improved. Hopefully the cool weather will hang around so we can go walk in the morning and not come home looking like a wet dog from all the humidity. Have a blessed day all.
  • Hola, All….

Bobbi – the recipe collecting must be a common obsession! I have boxes of old recipe magazines (Taste of Home) and a notebook in the kitchen of recipes… and more recipe books than my entire neighborhood could use! And I tend to cook the same basic things over and over and over. It’s very soothing and entertaining to spend a rainy or snowy afternoon cruising and perusing, though!

Gayle – you said you’re going to start traveling again…. Where? Is your DH more adventurous these days or has the timing finally gotten right for traveling? Seems like you had lots of trips this summer. You are SUCH a good grandma, Gayle!

Cajun – good idea about the kids’ menu. Same goes for the seniors’ menu… smaller and less expensive. And congrats on your weight loss. I’ve noticed that CK isn’t tooting her own horn, but she’s down 10#! There! I've tooted it for her.

Mary – I’m thinking such good thoughts for your DH. I know how you worry about him, but he’ll be okay. From my keys to the Goddess’ ears…..

I have nothing, nothing, nothing to report or to contribute! Sounds like everyone is getting ready to hunker down for Fall.... I'm ready for some breakfast and a little domestic drudgery!

Have a good weekend, everyone! Those I've ignored, I'm not ignoring you.... a big "yo" to you all! Later, lovelies!!
  • Looks like a pretty day but I haven't been out yet. Everything quiet here and not much to talk about. Thank you for your concern about my dh. I expect him to do fine. TamTam , glad you got your cooler weather...what about you, Karen3, any relief yet?
  • Good afternoon GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today ~ it is 70* ~ loving this cooler weather.

Got to go spend the evening with Jason last night. Had a nice visit with him.

DH and Maddie are off on one of their adventures. I can't take credit for discovering those building projects for kids that DH has been taking her to. He read about them in one of his couponing/refunding web sites.

Donna ~ The trip we are planning now is to visit various relatives and friends ~ aunts and uncles who are getting up in years, and some friends we haven't seen in a long time. I think after losing our dads last fall, DH feels like we should try to see people while they are still around and while we are still able ~ you never know what is gonna happen, so do it while we can.

We did do a couple trips this summer (not real far away or for any big length of time) and went to the beach a couple times. DH felt like we had been living frugally for quite some time and felt that he had a handle on the finances and that maybe we could loosen up a little and enjoy doing a few things.

A cousin I hadn't seen in a long time (probably since we were kids) contacted me via Facebook and I have been enjoying catching up with her. She helped me get straight the aunts and uncles and cousins on my grandma's side of the family. That has been fun.

Hoping to get back later for persoanls ~ will have to play it by ear.

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.
  • Good morning ladies, not much to report. My hubby and I are going to a funeral at 1:00 PM. An elderly couple from our former church both died of natural causes within weeks of each other. They were both in their late 80's so I guess they had a full life. Diet going fairly well, I need to tweak it, to cut down on the hunger issues. Gayle's post reminded me that I know I need to get back to couponing and refunding. I did it for awhile, and saved quite a bit of money then got lazy. Since we are retired we need to save all the money we can LOL. It's fun to visit relatives you haven't seen in a while, We don't have anyone left that is close enough to visit, but I would if I had a chance. Prayers for your dh Mary I know he will do ok. If I missed any one I apologize. Everyone have a great day. And to the person that wanted to know my name it is Judy
  • Good evening and thank you the cool weather has just arrived. The windows are all open and the dogs are crazy with new sounds and smells. Real air is drifting in. After 7 months of a/c, am loving it.

OMG I love Wendy's BBQ chicken salad and we'll split one for dinner. I stopped last week and got one on the way home in the bag was a notice they were closing soon for remodel. Went by few days later and the building has been knocked down flat. That is some remodel job. Not a brick standing.

Mary...It will be a worry until DH has had the surgery. Thankfully it isn't a long wait.

Gayle...On local TV they have a show about doing day trips. 50 miles or $50 minivacations. That's gas eating tolls etc...

Donna.....I loved the cat Halloween outfits. Now don't roll your eyes at me!

Tam.....You make me feel guilty with the amount of work hours you put in.

Rosey....DH and DD report please....

Back to my puzzles.......k3

ps Come on Bobbi try one.....try the free one on MSN games
  • Hello everyone! Yes, I was pleasantly surprised after sitting at 185 for about a month when I got on the scales this morning and it said 183.8!! Made me smile!! Of course then I went out this afternoon with family and had a super good Mexican lunch!! Oh well, it was good, I enjoyed it and I can continue on tomorrow as a new day!! One of my cousins from Colorado and her husband came in last night about midnight. So went with them and my aunt and brother for the lunch and laughs!

My older brother got pit passes for him and his son( actually his son got them) for the NASCAR race in Kansas City tomorrow! He was super excited! That would be fun!!!

Things are going OK for me. I got new furniture and am really enjoying the looks of it. It was a big step for me but needed to make a fresh start and I'm glad that I did.

Hello to everyone and a special welcome to the newbies that have joined us. We always have room at the table for more..... bring your own cup!! I am really going to try harder to get back on track and in a good routine and be able to catch up with everyone. Bella keeps me hopping and Sissy keeps me sane!!

Have a good night everyone!
  • Well, Karen you lost weight (congrats!) and I gained 1.5#! It's a never ending up and down thing for me, but have to admit I don't really try very much these days. Last night dh made dinner...turkey sausage and peppers. Today we are going to church and then to our dd's for lunch. Think she is preparing ribs.

Yesterday we visited the Pitcock Mansion, the home of an early Portlander. It was very interesting and the views of Portland and Mt Hood were so beautiful! Before we left I was a little hungry but my bs was still too high to eat, about 1/2 way through the tour I bottomed out and had to take some glucose tabs. So glad the pharmacist suggested I get some when I started this new med! Got me through the tour until I could get to Burger King.

Well, about time to leave so will end this. Have a good Sunday everyone!
  • Good evening GG's,

It has been a pretty nice weekend. Got to visit with son Jason on Friday evening. Got to see Maddie and have lunch with Sara on Saturday.

The weather has been cooler ~ that is enjoyable. I spent a little time out on the glider on the deck this afternoon crocheting ~ it was relaxing ~ until the bugs found me ~ then I had to go back in.

Got to message with a friend ~ we seem to have a hard time connecting ~ kind of like phone tag.

Got to visit with my sister and mom by phone.

Recently, a cousin who I hadn't seen in a long time found me on Facebook, so we have been having fun catching up. She is from my mom's side of the family. For some reason ~ maybe everybody was just busy ~ we didn't get together with any of them very often, even though they all lived not too far away. I could never remember which people belonged to which family. She helped me get that sorted out. She wanted us to swap stories about what had been going on in our lives from childhood to present. So, I worked on that last night and again today. Sent some emails with pictures attached. She had a bunch of pictures on Facebook of family ~ like my grandma and her grandma when they were younger ~ it was fun to see those. A lot of the pictures I remember having seen when I was growing up.

Had kind of a frustrating little time with DH. He can be so irritating sometimes. I guess maybe I am old and grumpy now have trouble answering sweetly. Maybe he is old and grumpy now too and doesn't speak so sweetly to me either. He says it is my fault ~ that he doesn't speak in a grouchy tone. It is better now, but I think ~ Lord help us ~ we've (hopefully) got a few years to go and have to figure out some way to get along with each other better.

Hope you all have had a good weekend. Bedtime soon.

Take care
  • I have not written much lately...life goes on....at another plateau....I'm leaving the end of this week for a week at home, Ohio, I do love it.....have not seen my DIL and six of my grandchildren in a year and a half so am very excited.....food will be a bit of a challenge but hubby is watching his weight too. My one son is a fabulous cook , healthy and different ethnicities so fun! He smokes his own bacon the best I've ever had....but will also see many old friends as our church that we raised our kids in and were in for 40 years is having a 50th anniversary celebration.....for me after family it's the fall colors, apples and crisp cool weather!!
  • I'd like to introduce myself. I'm new here, alas not new to the world of weight loss and of course gain.

At near sixty I find the extra thirty or forty pounds I've been carting around since my last baby, she's thirty, is becoming more and more burdensome.

Seeking like travelers, closer in age to me than twenty and thirty something's, for support and encouragement, which I will share in kind.
  • Quote: I'd like to introduce myself. I'm new here, alas not new to the world of weight loss and of course gain.

At near sixty I find the extra thirty or forty pounds I've been carting around since my last baby, she's thirty, is becoming more and more burdensome.

Seeking like travelers, closer in age to me than twenty and thirty something's, for support and encouragement, which I will share in kind.
  • Home alone!!
    Well I have a RARE day off at home and I am by myself!!! I am doing I have the day to myself happy dance! I LOVE being with my husband, but every now and again I so love a day off. Only had one batch of laundry to do, and only a few dishes to wash. Got a roast in the cock pot. I made some jewelry FOR MYSELF=Imagine that!!! I read a book and may even take a nap!!! I am going to enjoy this day because who knows when another one will come up!! Have a blessed day all!!
  • Good hola, Goldens!

Downstairs doing laundry.... sitting in front of the computer... crocheting... nothing exciting!

We have a last go at warmth this week before the dreaded "s" word! It's been such a lovely summer! I can't complain at all... rain in the afternoon, cool at night, very pleasant during the day. This is greatly the exception, so I'm enjoying while I can!!

Onemoondance (easier name, please?) - welcome!

KarenFL - how do you KNOW I roll my eyes? Someday, they're just going to fly right out of my head!

Tam - enjoy your day off and alone! It almost makes you feel like a grownup, doesn't it? I used to LOVE getting off early or having a windfall day off... not much can compare! Even though I'm retired now, I remember that feeling!

Gayle - hang in there.... your DH will behave soon. He just irritates you for the fun of it, yes? Are you enjoying "your" time now that the kids are all back in school? How's your mom?

NOTHING to report here! I had a quiet weekend, one LAST birthday celebration and that's it as far as socializing. I've needed a rest!

So, that's it for now... just checking in. Have a lovely day, lovelies!!
  • Just got back from the gym and a quick stop at RiteAid for Joe's meds and other necessities. While there we sat a the little place where you get your profile ...bp, weight, BMI. Dh was overweight (like maybe 5-10 lbs probably) and I was obese. Haven't been called obese for a while so it made me think. So when I got home I started back with MFP tracking my foods. My weight has been creeping up again...today I was 170.5, however that machine said 175 with clothes, shoes and breakfast in me but after my workout. I walked a mile, biked about 18 min. and did three weight machines very lightly. I haven't done them for a while and have lost a lot of strength. We will not be going to the gym for a a while after dh's surgery so will try to do more here at home. I've been slacking off on that too.

TamTam - Glad you finally have a day off and to yourself! We need that sometimes.

OneMoon - Glad you have joined us! I look forward to getting to know you better. This group ranges from around 50 to a few of us past 70.

Deelou - Excited for you to see your family again! We spent yesterday with our dd and her fam, even though they aren't far away sometimes it seems like it as they are so busy and we are too in our way...plus the traffic..so we don't get together often. Don't you love it that your son can cook!! Out of four kids I have three are very good cooks. Yesterday at our dd's we had baked baby back ribs (the best I think I've ever had!), oriental salad and a new dish to me...sweet potato salad. It was all SO yummy I could hardly stop eating! There were 5 adults and two little ones and they had 3# ribs...we were almost fighting over them at the end. LOL The kiddos called them "bones." My gd put on a puppet show for me. She is 5 and just started soccer. I think she'll be a good player. She's actually more into sports than her brother...she's already wanting to play basketball. Her brother prefers dancing and golf. His mom, dad and nana all play so he was exposed early. He had his toy golf clubs and even enjoyed watching the golf shows when he was a toddler.

Glynne - Hope things are better in your home today. When we are together so much, it can become easy to take each other for granted and not think before we respond I know. I know that with myself. Glad you got to communicate with some fam and friend.