Low carbers, is this ranch dressing ok?

• I bought wish bone ranch dressing. It has 2 grams of carbs per 2 tbs.

It lists sugar as the third ingredient but it does say sugar: 1 gram in the nutrition bar.

Should I buy a different dressing or is this okay?

thanks in advance!
  • Looks fine to me. It depends on your plan, but 1 g per tbs is quite normal.
  • Quote: Looks fine to me. It depends on your plan, but 1 g per tbs is quite normal.
    Would having one serving which is the 2 tbs too much for one day? Thank you!
  • Quote: Would having one serving which is the 2 tbs too much for one day? Thank you!
    Kinda depends on your plan. I'm just a carb counter, for example, so it would be no big deal for me. Especially if you are using that ranch to dip veggies in!
  • Quote: It mostly depend on your weight loss plan. You can opt for a lower fat version of it or you can try making your own dressing by combining low fat milk, less calorie sour creme and mayonnaise
    While a specific plan wasn't mentioned, low fat and low calorie are not normally in the same category as low carb.....particularly Atkins. Nor is Milk.
  • You can also always make your own low carb ranch
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ranch_s..._dressing.html

• Quote: I would say that 2 carbs is not high at all. 1/3 of a medium carrot has 2 grams of carbs. And 1/4 of a cucumber has around 1 carb. I say if you enjoy those 2 carbs in the salad dressing then its great. I did my own low carb diet once that was too low in carbs. I would not reccommend that. When I did the low carb thing with great gusto I stayed away from starches and fruits and sugars of any other kind. But I did use stevia from the health food store.
    Those vegetables are a lot healthier than the dressing. All foods are not created equal when it comes to nutrition.

If she is doing Atkins induction, it requires 12-15 g of net carbs a day of foundation vegetables leaving 5-8 g of net calories for things like dressings. I would use the 2 T because I'd eat more veggies with it.
  • Quote: Those vegetables are a lot healthier than the dressing. All foods are not created equal when it comes to nutrition.

If she is doing Atkins induction, it requires 12-15 g of net carbs a day of foundation vegetables leaving 5-8 g of net calories for things like dressings. I would use the 2 T because I'd eat more veggies with it.
    Sorry. I honestly was just speaking from my own experience after having lost a ton of weight on low carb diet. Sending best wishes
  • fwiw, I find store-bought salad dressings hard to portion-control. I used Walden Farms dressings, bought inexpensively from iherb.com or Vitacost.com. I think their Ranch got good reviews, though my faves are italian vinaigrette, Balsamic, Sesame Ginger. I did low carb--~25 net, and every little carb adds up. If you are going for a higher limit, the little bit in the dressing isn't so critical as long as you are okay with portion size.

You might be surprised (as I was) at how easy it can be to make yummy no-carb salad dressing. If you are used to store bought, it may take some getting used to. There are so many delicious kinds of vinegar & oil. If you have never had good, cold-pressed, virgin olive oil, give it a try!