Formula for amount of protein

• Hi everyone. I am down 90 pounds as of today. I was wondering if someone, maybe even a coach, could tell me the formula for determining the amount of protein I am supposed to be consuming, based on your weight. I have seen two different coaches at the clinic and have gotten conflicting information regarding the amount of snacks and meat protein I should be eating. There has to be a formula, as these people don't just make it up. Lol. I don't see my coach very often now due to work and the amount of travel. I do my own weigh ins so I would like to know when I have to make changes in my snacks and meat protein amounts. Thanks in advance.
  • Quote: Hi everyone. I am down 90 pounds as of today. I was wondering if someone, maybe even a coach, could tell me the formula for determining the amount of protein I am supposed to be consuming, based on your weight. I have seen two different coaches at the clinic and have gotten conflicting information regarding the amount of snacks and meat protein I should be eating. There has to be a formula, as these people don't just make it up. Lol. I don't see my coach very often now due to work and the amount of travel. I do my own weigh ins so I would like to know when I have to make changes in my snacks and meat protein amounts. Thanks in advance.
    You don't actually have to figure that out in P1, since as a guy your size you will be eating the extra packet and doing your 8 oz of meat protein for dinner. That's why this part of the diet is so perfect, you don't have to figure anything out or count points or calories or any thing else - just follow the protocol and you will keep OP and losing.
    If you don't have the latest protocol sheets you can go to the first post of the Daily Chat and click on the link. Easy as that.

Liana
  • I believe In maintenance it is your weight divided by 2 in grams of protein. The same does not apply to earlier phases.
  • I am not on IP so this is completely irrelevant. But for weight training and running (which you are not allowed to do) eating about 1g of protein per 1lb of my weight seems to work real well for me.

Good luck.
  • Quote: I believe In maintenance it is your weight divided by 2 in grams of protein. The same does not apply to earlier phases.
    Right... In the phases you eat the sheet and extra packet(s) as your weight is over 200 lbs. you do not use a formula to figure protein until maintenance. Then you start to track the protein using the 1/2 gram per pound of ideal weight (presumably the goal weight you are at in maintenance).
  • Quote:
    Then you start to track the protein using the 1/2 gram per ounce of ideal weight (presumably the goal weight you are at in maintenance).
    1/2 g of protein per ounce of your maintenance weight?

OMFG. Fire up the grill! Mine is 15lbs of salmon please.
  • Ian... I fixed it in my post... Wouldn't that be quite the feast!!!
  • Well there is something I just don't understand! Why is it that at the clinic I go to to pick up my food packets, they always check after a certain amount of weight and change my meat protein amount. First when I started out at 360 pounds, I had breakfast packet, dinner packet and 4 snacks plus 14 ounces of meat protein a day. I now have breakfast, dinner and 2 snacks plus 13 ounces of meat protein for supper(dinner). Or I could have had an extra snack and I think it was 9 ounces of meat. This is why I said there was a formula. The coaches always break out their calculator to find out if I needed to change the amount of meat protein or if I needed to give up a snack. Now I'm more confused than ever. lol! Something obviously works because of my weight loss so far, but why is their such differences in the program between areas! Is it a Canadian thing! lol!
  • Quote: Well there is something I just don't understand! Why is it that at the clinic I go to to pick up my food packets, they always check after a certain amount of weight and change my meat protein amount. First when I started out at 260 pounds, I had breakfast packet, dinner packet and 4 snacks plus 14 ounces of meat protein a day. I now have breakfast, dinner and 2 snacks plus 13 ounces of meat protein for supper(dinner). Or I could have had an extra snack and I think it was 9 ounces of meat. This is why I said there was a formula. The coaches always break out their calculator to find out if I needed to change the amount of meat protein or if I needed to give up a snack. Now I'm more confused than ever. lol! Something obviously works because of my weight loss so far, but why is their such differences in the program between areas! Is it a Canadian thing! lol!
    Wow, strange... I have never heard of this, and I'm in Canada too, although Western. Maybe your clinic is trying to prevent you from breaking out on your own and 'doing it yourself', lol. A little smoke, mirrors, and bamboozling, hahahah. You have not been as overweight as some on this forum who have lost literally hundreds of pounds, so I'm not sure what's up in this case?

Liana