cauliflower mashed potatoes

• Yum! Just substituted mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower for my shepherd's pie. Tastes just like mashed potatoes! One healthy lifelong substitute complete!
  • That sounds delicious! Also, you might be interested in making cauliflower pizza crust. There are lots of recipes on Pinterest but I'm sure you can find them in lots of other places too.
  • I made something that was good called caulipots, it had a nice texture and was a mixture of cauliflower and potatoes. I don't care for just cauliflower by itself mashed.
  • Thanks for the ideas!

What I did was steam them, put them in a blender with a little bit of water and they were very smooth.
  • That is the same for the caulipots, you steam the cauliflower and potatoes. Mix them with a bit of olive oil and salt (or coconut oil).
  • Ah cool I don't eat potatoes in general anymore, but it sounds yummy! I am not active enough to burn them off right now, but if I ever plan a really active day, I'll try that out!
  • I brought it up because I've heard from many people that they don't care for mashed cauliflower (and I was never a mashed potato fan so I rather just steam cauliflower mostly). But my inlaws are potato fiends and love mashed potatoes. I made them about a 50/50 mixture of potatoes and cauliflower and they didn't believe me when I said cauliflower was mixed in. There is a recipe for lentil shepherd's pie I make once in a great while and I use the caulipots for that, my husband likes it a lot and he isn't the greatest fan of cauliflower.
  • It sounds so delicious, I used to eat mashed potato in my dinner but I never thought that cauliflower is the best substitute. I love eating garlic cauliflower or sauté cauliflower. I will surely try to make it home for my family. My kids also love to eat vegetables. Thanks for this tip!