Alternative Protocol - How many gms of protein/carbs/fat?

• Hello Everyone,
    I am on the IP Alternative plan for diabetes now and 2 lbs to goal but switched to Phase 2 as I am not feeling very good and I probably figured I need more food.

I did a lot of searching in google and in this site but I can't find how many gms of lunch/dinner protein should one take and also how many gms of carbs and fat on the alternative diet.

I found some info that on regular Phase 1 IP Protocol, we could have 40gms of protein/60gms of carbs and no info on fat and this is for dinner.

I am thinking about adding morning star's black bean burgers to my afternoon lunch and I will consume 26 gms of carbs and 20 gms of Protein

I am planning my typical day to be like this:
    BF:
    2% Milk - 8oz
    IP Tomato Basil Soup - 1 packet

Lunch:
    Two spicy black bean burgers
    1/2 cup - Blueberries
    2cups of veggies

Dinner :
    4 whole eggs + 2 egg whites - scrambled with 1 tbsp EVOO
    Natural Ovens whole grain bread slices - 2
    2 cups veggies

I am already following the BF and dinner till now but now worried about lunch protein/carbs.

Can someone please help?
  • I was under the impression that the only change between phase 1 and 2 is an additional 8 oz of protein at lunch. I would assume that the same is true on the alternative protocol. Not sure the protein count on your black bean patty but that is a lot of carbs considering on regular phase 2 you do to add any extra carbs at lunch.
  • Thanks ChipnDip. I could do eggs for lunch but I already take them for dinner so very tired of eggs already and even eggs have carbs but probably very little i guess.
    8oz of protein = 30 gms of protein (may be 40 gms??)

So for me to reach the 30gms of protein i have to eat atleast 2 spicy black bean burgers.
  • Quote: Thanks ChipnDip. I could do eggs for lunch but I already take them for dinner so very tired of eggs already and even eggs have carbs but probably very little i guess.

So for me to reach the 30gms of protein i have to eat atleast 2 spicy black bean burgers.
    The body only needs 1/2g of protein per pound of body weight. IP'ers should get a bit more but you are still looking at a relatively low amount compared to the average North American diet.
    Try & look around for the lowest carb 'veggie burger' you can find. It should also be fairly low in fats...

BTW...congrats on only having 2 pounds to go to goal!!!!! Ease back on your food stress, you will do fine. Remember when you are so close it takes a long time to lose the very last bit!
    Liana
  • Quote: Thanks ChipnDip. I could do eggs for lunch but I already take them for dinner so very tired of eggs already and even eggs have carbs but probably very little i guess.

I missed the fact that you are vegetarian!
  • Thanks Liana. I owe it to you. I lost more on alternative protocol quickly but lately I was feeling weak and I felt I am ready for more food.
    Sure, I will check for low carb veggie burger.