Maintainers on a Losing Streak in the Summertime

You're on Page 7 of 31
Go to
  • I've had some reunion activities and extra business/distraction keeping me from exercising, and now the scale is up about about 2 lbs from where I was. I'm hoping most of it will flush out but without more time to exercise, I'm not sure it will.
  • I am plugging away at developing my "fat camp contract" for 6/15-9/7. I've decided to focus on inch losses that will get me into size 8 pants, and on decreasing the number my scale says is my fat%. I got out my skinfold calipers and measuring tape - Saturday morning I'll log my starting stats. :P Woot!
  • Welcome back Exhale. I hope you enjoy the ballet class and it helps you regain your mojo!

I have my work party challenge tonight. I think I've decided my strategy. The party is from 2-5 and it is "catered" (whatever that means) and staff are bringing desserts. I think I'll go from 2-3:30 or so and not eat (I will have had lunch and it's not dinner time, so that's acceptable, right?). I was going to try to figure out what they are catering but I'm sure it's not healthy-- I'm guessing pasta. Then, I'll go home and exercise-- either my Insanity DVD or a run/walk. I promised dd we'd go to a pizza place tonight-- it's actually not too bad diet wise-- extremely thin crust with veggies and you order by the slice-- I always get two slices and it's not much food. Crossing my fingers that my plan works....

It's our last day with kids at school (and they have early dismissal). I work through next Thursday and leave Friday for Houston....
  • Hey there Exhale and Yoyoma. Good to see you.

DH wants to go to Cancun for our anniversary. I need to get my fanny in gear if that is going to happen. LOL
  • Quote: Hey there Exhale and Yoyoma. Good to see you.

DH wants to go to Cancun for our anniversary. I need to get my fanny in gear if that is going to happen. LOL
    That sounds divine! When is your anniversary??
  • Speaking of places hubby's want to travel to, I'm facing one of my own. My dh's brother lives in Hong Kong (his other brother lives in London and we're visiting him this summer). My relationship with Hong Kong brother has always been strained. We went to Hong Kong three times to visit, attend his wedding, etc. His first wedding was in Hawaii and we went there too. When he had his first dd 6 years ago, they happened to be traveling to Rome and decided to baptize her there. Now, his wife is PG with number 2 and they are planning on returning to Rome to baptize number 2. We didn't go to first baptism as we thought it was pretty ludicrous. Now, dh wants to go to this one as his whole family will be going. His family is crazy. The baptism will be in September, right after I've gone back to school which would be a terrible time for me to take off. Dh says "Don't you want to go to Italy?!". Yes, HELLO! Just not with your crazy relatives..... not sure that I'll get out of it though. Dh is with his brother now in China as his brother is there on business. I'm sure they're planning the trip that I don't want to go on. Sigh....
  • Ooo, Shannon! Sounds fun!

Michele, looks like a workable plan!

yoyoma, I have the time to exercise; I just don't. I wish I could donate it to you, All you can do is the best you can!
  • It is in November, Michele. Plenty of time to prepare.
  • My friend is suggesting a trip to Peru in a couple of years. While I'd love to go she often has the idea that trips need to be full of action whereas I like to loaf a bit. I can just see me, someone who lives at or below sea level, trying to scale Machu Picchu. What with the air being thinner and my being out of shape I'd be out of breath (and she'd be razzing me about it) within minutes. Has anyone been there?
  • Machu Picchu is at almost 8,000 ft. You might want to do some hiking up at Brighton before you go!
  • Quote: Machu Picchu is at almost 8,000 ft. You might want to do some hiking up at Brighton before you go!
    It's also a 4 day hike to get there via the Inca trail. I know that's the way she'd prefer to go. She just got back from Nepal where she and her son did a 4 or 5 day hike.
  • Quote: It's also a 4 day hike to get there via the Inca trail. I know that's the way she'd prefer to go. She just got back from Nepal where she and her son did a 4 or 5 day hike.
    Allison There is a bus that will drive you up the mountain to Machu Picchu. And a lunch spot on a terrace that provides a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The site itself has all sorts of trails and staircases but they are not strenuous. I took some altitude accomodation meds before and after the trip there. My two group mates did not - one got a headache for which he drank large amounts of coca tea and the other was fine.

It is truly a spectacular place. We arrived in the rain and mist and walked around and it was like being transported into some other magical realm. I suffer from vertigo so was able to lose my group and walked around by myself just feeling the vibes. Amazing!

Dagmar
  • Quote: Allison There is a bus that will drive you up the mountain to Machu Picchu. And a lunch spot on a terrace that provides a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The site itself has all sorts of trails and staircases but they are not strenuous. I took some altitude accomodation meds before and after the trip there. My two group mates did not - one got a headache for which he drank large amounts of coca tea and the other was fine.

It is truly a spectacular place. We arrived in the rain and mist and walked around and it was like being transported into some other magical realm. I suffer from vertigo so was able to lose my group and walked around by myself just feeling the vibes. Amazing!

Dagmar
    Oh, I don't doubt that there is a bus. And I'd much prefer to take such bus, but I KNOW that if I go with my friend, she will insist on the hike. I'd much prefer getting up there the easy way and spending all day exploring the place.
  • Going the wrong way with my weight: Up two pounds this week, entirely due to not eating sensibly.

I have developed a dangerous affinity for Trader Joe's plain unsweetened dried fruit, like pineapple and apple, and its freeze-dried fruit, like the bananas, apples and yes, the cranberries, tart as they are. I don't eat white sugar but that doesn't mean I don't crave concentrated sweetness; otherwise I'd be eating the un-dried fruit avidly.
  • Quote: Going the wrong way with my weight: Up two pounds this week, entirely due to not eating sensibly.

I have developed a dangerous affinity for Trader Joe's plain unsweetened dried fruit, like pineapple and apple, and its freeze-dried fruit, like the bananas, apples and yes, the cranberries, tart as they are. I don't eat white sugar but that doesn't mean I don't crave concentrated sweetness; otherwise I'd be eating the un-dried fruit avidly.
    Oh yes-- those are dangerous. I can't buy them, along with many other things (grapes!!)...

My work party proved hard to resist. Very hard indeed. They catered chipotle! It looked and smelled amazing and I was the only one not having any. If I had known, maybe I would have skipped lunch and had some. That's the thing though-- I had breakfast and lunch before going. The party started at 2. I would still eat dinner so I'd have an extra meal for the day. I don't know how people do that. I also avoided the desserts like the plague (and the copious alcohol). I was doing well until everyone started raving about some of the homemade desserts and I came close to caving... I took that as my cue to sneak out and leave. I went home and dd and I went geocaching! Quite fun and we got a good 90 minute hike/walk in-- some of it was quite challenging. Hopefully we'll go again soon! The scale was down .2 today which isn't much, but I know it would have been WAY up if I had succumbed to chipotle and desserts.

Going to meet our new vice principal today. Everyone seems excited about the choice so I'm hopeful.