dark spots on my skin?

• Well, I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. My hair has stopped coming out but the dark spots on my waist line will not go away! I guess my question is...will they ever go away or is there anything that I can do. They actually sometimes become kind of sore. Hope to hear from you soon.
  • i have two of these, too. one on the right lower of my abdomen and on the back side. they are sort of rough to the touch and for the longest time i just thought it was a weird birth mark! before, of course, i knew what PCOS was...

i sympathize though because sometimes mine itch, too, especially after a work out! i find that if i used a moisturize w/ vitamin E it can help... or just baby powder.

*melanie
  • THEY WONT GO AWAY
    My spots usually dont itch, they just become really sore. Its not like they are individual spots. They start at my belly button and go to my sides on both sides. Its just dark spots and skin. My husband wants me to see a dermatologist but I am just stubborn about it. I do not like drs.

Oh well, I will probably bite the bullet and go sooner or later.

Cassandra
  • I have these also and have had them for years and never knew what they were.My are on my neck though.Doctor told me years ago to use athletes foot cream and it makes them go away for a while but they always come back.Guess it wouldn't hurt to try
  • Thanks for your advice. I was beginning to think nobody had an answer. I will give that a try.

Thanks again!!
  • Is it velvety or slightly rough? If so, it is probably from insulin resistance. Losing weight and getting the IR under control will help it go away. A dermatologist might be able to give you a lightening cream, but the texture will still be there. Look on the back of your neck with a mirror and see if you have a dark line in the folds of your neck, or dark shading under your arms or around the groin/upper thigh area. Those are pretty common places. Are you taking metformin? That, and a reduced carb diet should help it go away!

It is technically called acanthosis nigricans if you want to do some searches on it.