Measuring by Clothing Size - I don't get it

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks guys, good info all around. Although I can't really tell from my clothes, I CAN tell from my pictures! I took a "before" about a month and a half ago and then a progress pick two nights ago and I think I can actually see a difference in my gut! I might get to posting it on the mini-goals page a little later tonight. So for me, i'm going to continue using the scale and then take a progress pic every 3 weeks ago i think
  • I definitely don't give any credence to clothing sizes.

When I was 18, I went from 158 to 130lbs and went from a size 12 to a size 6.

My weight fluctuated a bit since, and last year I regained almost to my original weight - 155 - but most of my size 6 clothes still fit. A few things I upgraded to an 8, but certainly not a 12.

a) in the last 10 years, vanity sizing has become a huge thing, and women's clothes sizes have no set standard at all. and b) when I was heavier, I was probably dressing in clothes that didn't really fit the whole time, because I was insecure and clueless.
  • Quote: I definitely don't give any credence to clothing sizes.

When I was 18, I went from 158 to 130lbs and went from a size 12 to a size 6.

My weight fluctuated a bit since, and last year I regained almost to my original weight - 155 - but most of my size 6 clothes still fit. A few things I upgraded to an 8, but certainly not a 12.

a) in the last 10 years, vanity sizing has become a huge thing, and women's clothes sizes have no set standard at all. and b) when I was heavier, I was probably dressing in clothes that didn't really fit the whole time, because I was insecure and clueless.
    Vanity sizing - a real pain in my estimation... I have patterns from the late 50's early 60's and the smallest size is a 10 with a bust of 31, waist of 24, and hips of 33. Sounds like a size 0 today...
    Just go by your own measurements, especially if body composition is changing.
    Liana