Is it just me or are chia seeds gross?

• I keep trying, you guys, but they are just so gross. I don't even remember why I thought they were so important (filling? fiber? anti-aging magic voodoo?) but they have been super trendy on all the blogs I follow so I thought I'd give them a go. Can't do it.

I can't be the only one?
  • I use them daily in my six year old daughter's smoothies and she's never said anything - what I do is soak them overnight in almond milk, then add the thick chia to more almond milk and the rest of the ingredients to blend.

I've also used them as a thickener in a shepherd's pie instead of using flour or cornstarch to make gravy. They worked like a charm!

They remind me of the seeds in a tomato - slippery, but I hardly notice the texture when I have them in a dish.
  • I think it all depends on how you use em! I have them in my yogurt every morning (with other things) and the only thing I notice is that they get stuck in my teeth sometimes

How have you tried them?
  • I use them as an egg substitute in banana and pumpkin muffins. I also use them for overnight oatmeal smoothies. The recipe is on theyummylife.com.

A coworker brought us blueberry donuts and I sprinkled the seeds on it and ate it that way. Figured at least it would keep me full longer since I was spurging on a donut.
  • I use them in this recipe http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/201...ot-cereal.html and in smoothies in my vitamix (which destroys them). I haven't tried them in anything else.
  • I eat them nearly everyday - but I pulverize them in my Vitamix. I don't like them whole mainly because they get stuck in my teeth, but I also dislike the slimy texture.

Besides smootthies, I have successfully (meaning did not notice them, lol) used them as egg substitute in baked goods, as a thickener in a blender soup, and as a chocolate pudding.
  • they are gross.

i dont like slimy things. i dont like okra, i dont like bubble tea, i dont like tapioca. so, of course i don't like chia.

i've had chia in baked goods and you can't tell, but the way most people eat them? NO THANK YOU!
  • I keep trying them in my overnight (and even hot) oatmeal and ugh.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try blending them in smoothies next and if that doesn't work, I'm out.

What's funny is I DO like okra and bubble tea but this stuff just makes me queasy.