IP and strength training

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • True, but some forms can be more tolerable than others. I also think people need to realize that adding a bit a day is better than nothing. My husband hates exercise. He added a 20 minute break walk in the morning and afternoon at work and it has really helped him. For him that is tolerable and better than nothing. It is funny though. It was him who got me in the weight room 30+ years ago. He was skinny and wanted to gain weight. I was always heavy and fearful of "bulking" up because I do put muscle on easily. However, I joined in, fell in love with it and withing 3 months of lifting some hefty weights dropped two dress sizes without losing weight. The trainers there thought I should compete! That weight lifting habit remains with me now, and the strength I have from not being afraid of lifting good sized weights will help me with rehab and when I stare 66 in the face!

Lisa, since being off work for 6 weeks may make me bonkers, I will investigate what it will take to study on my own. The professor who really liked me is on my FB so I can approach her. The guy who taught the class was never very friendly to me. He preferred all the young kids in the class. I kept thinking, you know, the bulk of the nation's clientele(with money to pay for training) is my age or older. Who would they prefer to get help from, some young kid, or someone who has been through the trenches!
  • Quote: True, but some forms can be more tolerable than others. I also think people need to realize that adding a bit a day is better than nothing. My husband hates exercise. He added a 20 minute break walk in the morning and afternoon at work and it has really helped him. For him that is tolerable and better than nothing. It is funny though. It was him who got me in the weight room 30+ years ago. He was skinny and wanted to gain weight. I was always heavy and fearful of "bulking" up because I do put muscle on easily. However, I joined in, fell in love with it and withing 3 months of lifting some hefty weights dropped two dress sizes without losing weight. The trainers there thought I should compete! That weight lifting habit remains with me now, and the strength I have from not being afraid of lifting good sized weights will help me with rehab and when I stare 66 in the face! Yes...tolerable...Good word! Finding what works for you I agree...I think the circuit setup works for me because I can let go of what I'm doing because there are other women all doing the same thing. The preset audio prompts...keep us all moving through the process for 45 minutes.You just start anywhere...then for me at least,once I get rolling my OCD (LOL...sometimes that is a good thing..) takes over and I wouldn't dare quit before doing what ever the entire routine for the week is programmed for. The preset also takes the de-motivator of having to make all the individual adjustments to the equipment out of the equation for me. Timing and intensity is set by the trainers and they adjust it at night before closing for the next few days...so it's constantly changing...I wish I liked to swim. So many find that is great and enjoyable exercise, but I also hate the water...probably because I'm not a good swimmer. Walking outside is a challenge in the nice weather because respiratory allergies are severe...but I dose up at night...and have been giving that a good try, in spite these last few weeks. I really want a bike and almost had my husband convinced on Saturday...but he is afraid I'll fall and break a hip...and be impacted for the rest of my life. He has legit concern...not too coordinated either!!!

Lisa, since being off work for 6 weeks may make me bonkers, I will
    investigate what it will take to study on my own. The professor who really liked me is on my FB so I can approach her. The guy who taught the class was never very friendly to me. He preferred all the young kids in the class. I kept thinking, you know, the bulk of the nation's clientele(with money to pay for training) is my age or older. Who would they prefer to get help from, some young kid, or someone who has been through the trenches!
    What a great idea!!! You should investigate this for sure.
  • Ha, I love biking, and it was my only mode of transportation for years. I have a very fast road bike and love speed! Swimming is a fairly new love. Once daughter was old enough to listen to the swim team coaches, I took lessons, and then swam laps while the kids were in practice. Since I had to drive from out of town to get them there it was better than sitting through boring practices.
  • Quote: Ha, I love biking, and it was my only mode of transportation for years. I have a very fast road bike and love speed! Swimming is a fairly new love. Once daughter was old enough to listen to the swim team coaches, I took lessons, and then swam laps while the kids were in practice. Since I had to drive from out of town to get them there it was better than sitting through boring practices.
    Yeah,...I haven't given up on the bike...I am willing to wear an inflatable rubber suit....Oh!!! Maybe I need to file a patent for that one first?
  • Find something that doesn't seem like exercise to you and you'll do it. I am a belly dancer, but if that's not your cup of tea there are a lot of other options. I also have a lot of dance games for my Wii. You can set the Just Dance to something called Sweat and it will play songs continuous. You can even pick out the intensity. It has been something that I've found is fun to do with my family, too. I also workout at a gym with a personal trainer. While on IP, I am doing low weight high reps. The weather is getting warmer so walking and biking are great. I know someone who lost a lot by simply walking from a farther subway stop to the office every day. I started using the stairs in place of the elevator. It was tough at first. Another friend of mine loves yoga. Just comes back to finding what you love. You know, gardening burns a lot of calories and if you love it may be a sneaky way to get exercise and vitamin D.