Maintainers Weekly Chat March 3 - March 9

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Didn't know there was a shingles vaccination.I know that if you had chicken pox you are prone to have shingles.
  • saef~your doctor can give you a prescription for something that will help get rid of the shingles faster than if left alone. Shingles can be very painful. Shingles generally attacks around the midsection (like yours) or your head. My son, as a baby, had an extremely mild case of chicken pox. He was just a baby and he had maybe 3 lesions. Then at about age 2 he got shingles. His was on his head--just half his head. He looked like he'd fallen off his tricycle and had road rash. He still has some scars from it. Shingles is usually worse for people who are immunocompromised (did I spell that right?).

I thought last night was Bogey's last night of obedience class. Apparently I was off a week and his last class is next Tuesday where he'll graduate. They put little caps on the dogs heads and take photos for Facebook! LOL
  • I took my dog to obedience class, I promise you he did not appreciate the graduation ceremony lf he could talk he would have been saying get that thing off my head.
  • Allison! Must see pic of Bogey in his hat!!!! I am so proud of him from afar. Isn't that silly? It sounds like he has done fantastic!! With your guidance, of course!

I had no idea shingles could strike little children!

Saef I HOPE that's not what you have! My mother - who took like 2 sick days in her working life - had shingles a few hyears ago and said that it was the most painful thing she ever dealt with! Let us know what the doc says!!

Jen
  • I'll be sure to share the pictures, Jen!

I had an odd thing happen last week. I was sitting at my desk either Monday or Tuesday and realized that my right ankle hurt. I reached down to massage it and realized it really hurt when I touched it. Upon inspection I saw that it was very swollen. After a few days the swelling started to go down but it became terribly bruised under where it had been swollen. It never hurt to walk on it and I cannot figure out how I managed to hurt it. Then yesterday morning I woke to it being extremely stiff. Then this morning, still stiff, I was getting really, really odd muscle spasms in my thigh. I wonder if they could be related? The spasms were so bad that they woke me from my sleep and I had to massage my thigh to relieve the pain. The sprain was on the inside of my right ankle and the spasms were on the outside of my thigh--just above my knee. Very weird (but then so was the dream it woke me from--something about Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen).
  • saef, sorry to hear about the shingles. I have had outbreaks twice. Both times they were related to stress.

The vaccine is no guarantee that you won't get shingles again. It simply reduces the risk by half. Shingles can be so painful that for some, any reduction sounds good. For others, the odds aren't good enough.

bargoo, some people shouldn't get the vaccination, such as those who have undergone chemo or radiation therapy.
  • Allison-- I'm no expert but I would call your doctor. Maybe a blood clot??

Saef-- I hope you get some relief and if it is shingles that your case isn't severe. My friend had shingles when she was under 40...
  • Saef - I never heard of someone so young getting shingles either (not your age or a two year old). I asked for the vaccine once and Doc said I was too young. (I'm 52). I hope you get relief soon, my grandmother had it and she also said it was the most painful thing she has ever had and she went through a lot. Get better!!!

Allison - I agree with Michele get to doctor.

Dagmar - sorry that sounds so frustrating. Not sure if you bring your laptop over to their house but you could try connecting straight to their modem - it could be their router. Not that you want to go snooping in their equipment! But if it is all just out there in the open, find the wire that goes from the modem to the router and disconnect it from the router and plug that into your laptop. If you refresh a website and it still doesn't work, it's probably their service, not just their wifi. Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm a Comp Sci person -- and most of the time when I talk like this people just stare at me with a glazed look.

Sharon
  • Sorry you may have shingles, saef. When are you seeing the doc?

My impression is also that an onset of shingles is associated with stress.

Shingles comes from the Latin word for girdle, cingulum, as it often appears around the waist or middle section. (Also elsewhere, too.) Cinch comes from this root and, I suppose, ceinture (French for belt).

Let us know how things develop. And take sick leave!
  • Saef - I know several people in our age bracket who have gotten shingles, and all were told that they were too young for the vaccine. I make my doctor give me one now. I hope that you feel better soon - definitely go to the doctor.
  • Quote: Saef - I never heard of someone so young getting shingles either (not your age or a two year old). I asked for the vaccine once and Doc said I was too young. (I'm 52). I hope you get relief soon, my grandmother had it and she also said it was the most painful thing she has ever had and she went through a lot. Get better!!!

Allison - I agree with Michele get to doctor.

Dagmar - sorry that sounds so frustrating. Not sure if you bring your laptop over to their house but you could try connecting straight to their modem - it could be their router. Not that you want to go snooping in their equipment! But if it is all just out there in the open, find the wire that goes from the modem to the router and disconnect it from the router and plug that into your laptop. If you refresh a website and it still doesn't work, it's probably their service, not just their wifi. Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm a Comp Sci person -- and most of the time when I talk like this people just stare at me with a glazed look.

Sharon
    Thanks Sharon! I'll show this post to my hubby - he's a bit more technical than I am. It's so odd - I got on the network just fine Monday night and Tuesday morning and now the network isn't even showing up in the list of available ones. ARRRRGH!

Saef My cousin's grandmother had shingles and it was agonizing for her. She also suffered from severe migraines and said they are "nothing" compared to the pain of the shingles. I hope yours don't get to that point.

Dagmar
  • Dagmar, if connecting directly to the modem doesn't work on the first attempt try unplugging the power cable to the modem, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. Good luck!

Sharon, hello to a fellow woman in CS! (I am a software developer.)

Allison, I hope if you go to the doc it's nothing, but I would also worry about a blood clot! Do let us know how you're doing.

Babies had a MUCH better day yesterday. Two good naps, no causeless screaming, and they almost slept through the night without intervention. C slept through as usual, A needed only 1 intervention, but she might have been okay without it -- DH leaped out of bed on autopilot as soon as she started crying before I could even switch on the video monitor to see what was up, and this morning he tells me he has no memory of getting up and going into the nursery at all.

Today DH is going to take the girls to baby storytime at the library. I am crossing my fingers that it goes okay! This is their first time going to an organized event. DH had bad dreams last night because he was having anxiety about taking them to the library (nightmares of the variety of lots of people trying to get to the stroller and touch the babies; they still have never really been sick and I think we both have a big fear of germs for them!).
  • I didn't go to the doctor. This morning the stiffness is almost nil and I didn't experience any of the weird thigh muscle contractions. I'm pretty sure it's nothing. The bruising is almost all gone, too.

Glad your girls are sleeping better, Jessica. And I'm the type that would have dreams about taking them on their first outing, too. I often have worries like that and they almost always end up in my dreams.

Dagmar~here's hoping the wifi works for you today.

saef~how are you feeling today? Have you seen the doctor yet?
  • Well we tried everything last night but no wifi. DH even took down the specs for the modem at the house, came home, and looked it up on the net. Apparently it's an older one and lots of people have reported problems with it. I think I am stuck with coming home to access the net until Tuesday so probably won't be posting much.

Dagmar
  • Thanks, all, for sharing accounts of people younger than 60 getting shingles. I couldn't get a doctor appointment yesterday -- he was on hospital duty all day. I'm seeing him this afternoon, and not a moment too soon. I am still itching worse than anything I've ever experienced, a prickly heat with twinges in my muscles underneath, since I stopped the Oxycodone because taking it felt just too good, and also, it constipated me and was making my stomach bloat up till my pants felt tight in the waist -- a feeling that I haven't had in ages. It made me feel like I was gaining weight by the minute.

It does hurt, yeah, but I don't feel like I'm going to die. Then again, my dentist has told me I've got a high tolerance for pain.