Protein shake in the morning?

• Hi,

I'm thinking of trying a protein shake first thing to boost my metabolism . . . and as a breakfast replacement to maintain my weight. Any thoughts? Recommendations?
  • What are you having for breakfast now?
    What does a typical day of food look like for you?
    Do you exercise?
  • I usually have a banana and coffee for breakfast, or just coffee. Sandwich for lunch and a regular dinner - whatever is cooking
    I do 30min on a bike, 3x per week.
  • You are having a fairly low calorie, high carb breakfast.
    What works for most on IP is to have a mixed breakfast, higher in calories.
    This would mean approx 25g of protein, 50g of carbs and 15g of fat.
    You could find a pre-made protein mix that might come close or you could get really creative with using milk or yoghurt as a base, adding fruit and/or vegetables and some fat source like a tablespoon of peanutbutter or coconut oil. That's going to come out to about 400 to 500 calories.

With your other meals, not knowing your size or bodyfat, that might be too many calories. You would then look at making half that breakfast OR adjusting your dinner portion.

Is your goal to maintain your current scale weight? Calories in/calories out is a good place to start, based on weight/height and body fat or estimated body fat. Try it for two weeks then re-evaluate. Are you familiar with those kinds of calculators?
  • Quote: Hi,

I'm thinking of trying a protein shake first thing to boost my metabolism . . . and as a breakfast replacement to maintain my weight. Any thoughts? Recommendations?
    Are you following the IP eating protocol and if so which phase? While many on here can probably give you feedback, since thus is an IP message board, that is the focus of our meal planning.
  • I'm not following any particular protocol. What do you recommend?
  • Fatcatz
    This is an ideal protein plan forum. We'd probably recommend that plan