What are your thoughts on quinoa?

• I enjoy eating quinoa and I've always believed it is something that promotes weight loss but I today a friend told me if I'm trying to lose weight it isn't ideal.
    Any thoughts?
  • If you are eating grains and aren't carb sensitive, quinoa is a great choice. It is comparable to rice in calories, but is a complete protein. If you are carb sensitive, then it obviously won't be a good choice for you.

Here is a link about the benefits Rice vs. quinoa
  • I always thought it tasted like dirt, no matter the preparation, but I have never heard that it slowed weight loss.
  • The first brand of quinoa I bought had the dirty taste to it. Then I didn't try it again for a couple of years. I guess it's grown in popularity since then, more brands, I tried a different brand and it doesn't have that dirty taste. I use Bob's Red Mill. (this would be an item to check reviews on amazon, some brands aren't washed, are gritty, dirty taste).

Now I eat it more often. It's pretty cheap and versatile, not as cheap as rice but the extra nutrition makes it worth it. I always keep some on hand for emergency cheap meals. As the article posted above, it has more fiber and protein. It is also considered a seed, not a true grain. I read the little curls on it also help to "clean you out".
  • I found it was an acquired taste, but it's one grain (or is it a seed?)...anyway, it's one that doesn't leave me bloated like rice and wheat. As with any carb, it's high in calories, but I like it now and eat it every week or so.
  • I love it, but I find it easy to overeat (like most grains and other high carb foods).

I have cut out eheat and have cut back on grains, but I do eat some. Quinoa is one my favorites, but I make only a couple servings at a time, so I can't binge on it. Or I throw a liitle bit in soups and stews.

I am carb sensitive and also tend to "abuse" carbs, like others might abuse drugs or alcohol.
  • Quote: The first brand of quinoa I bought had the dirty taste to it. Then I didn't try it again for a couple of years. I guess it's grown in popularity since then, more brands, I tried a different brand and it doesn't have that dirty taste. I use Bob's Red Mill. (this would be an item to check reviews on amazon, some brands aren't washed, are gritty, dirty taste).
    I always rinse it a lot to rid the saponin - I think most quinoa sold in the US is already processed to clean it off, but if you don't rinse thoroughly yourself, it can end up tasting like dish soap!
  • Cool. Lots of great info. I do like the taste and I boil it up with llwsalt chicken broth and it tastes quite good. I guess everything is okay in moderation so I'm happy to go with that
  • I love saying the word but haven't eaten the food yet.
  • It gets stuck between my teeth. I moved on to cous cous (tastier) and ended up with steelcut oats (for breakfast).
  • Love quinoa! But like kaplods, I find it is easy to overeat. I throw some onto my salads to add some good nutty flavor.