Fashion Police

You're on Page 2 of 23
Go to
  • Puhleeze Ellis! When do you ever wear a business suit?

Backpacks with jeans or casual clothes

Backpacks with business attire (especially when combined with dirty running shoes )

And don't get me started on the white spandex leggings with dark colored underwear and a huge shapeless tee that is not long enough to cover the wearer's "camel toe"!

• Hubby had a tongue ring for about 7-8 years. I made him see my dentist this year for a long-overdue cleaning, and the dentist made him take it out. Because the barbell in his tongue rested against the gums behind his lower teeth, it has worn away most of the tissue and he has to have a tissue graft done, where they will take tissue from the inside of his cheek and graft it to the gums that cover the roots of his lower front teeth.

I don't mind piercings in general, but you have to think if the long-term risks are worth it. Tell this to anyone you know who is considering a tongue ring. If they don't chip or break your teeth, you could end up having oral surgery like DH.

Okay, some of my personal fashion pet peeves:

Black nylons with white shoes

Socks with sandals (Ellis and Den excepted because they wear them in the winter! )

People who wear clothes that are too freakin tight so their bulges bulge for all to see. A size or two larger, even if it's a close fitting style would make a world of difference.

Women in their 30s, 40s, 50, 60s, 70s....who try to dress like they are still 15-25 years old. Grow up already! You can dress smart and stylish without looking like Brittney Spears!

Leggings. Black with baggy t-shirts. Okay, fine for hanging around the house, but not for public consumption, please!

Guys who wear their pants hanging off their butts with their boxers showing. You know, the pants crotch down to their knees.

Low rise pants don't bother me, provided they are the proper size. Like they fit so they don't create love handles popping out at the top.

OOOH and one more....women who wear sandals without pedicured feet! Who wants to see crusty heeled yellow nailed feet? Geez...you can do it yourself at home....no excuses!
  • Whoo! That is some list Wildfire I nominate you as the Captain of the Fashion Police squad!

I agree with everyone of your points though - some people must not own a mirror or as one of my friend's puts it -they have a magic mirror in which they are reflected as well put together trendy fashion plate whose clothes fit perfectly and no love handles or pot bellies are sticking out and they don't look like hoochie mamas or cougars!
  • Wildfire, how sweet of you to remember that I wear sandles in the winter. I rarely wear socks... even then. It has to be pretty darned cold for me to commit THAT faux pas. Geeky.

Hey, how about white stockings? Okay if you're a nurse, but they look gosh-awful on a woman with a black and white polka dot business suit and high heels.

And the hair-coming-out-of-the-mole-thing. Blah. Yes, we all miss the occasional hair when we're plucking, but when there are six obvious ones growing from a mole on your face... pull 'em!!

Ruth, a coffin is the perfect place for a leisure suit.
  • I totally agree with all of the aforementioned fashion dont's, and since I got to take a trip to the local Wal-Mart today I found a few others I'd like to bring to the table...

1. seriously, t-shirts with Scooby-Doo and Tweety on them should be made in small childrens sizes only. i don't care if you like them or not.

2. unless you are 5 years old and under, or are extremely pregnant (and that one is pushin it, i just think it looks cute) DO NOT WEAR OVERALLS! Gak! I saw this very big brawny dark handsome man today wearing a bright orange shirt and denim overalls and he looked like a dork!

3. Also, to reiterate, if you are well over 300 lbs, under no circumstances do you go shopping in either a sports bra (yes, i saw this it was unpretty) OR a tiny white tank top with a missing bra and 6 inches of chunk hanging over your low riding pants. Seriously....

I mean, I am no prize, but at least I cover myself up and have the decency to put my DD's in a bra for cryin out loud!
  • Oh, lizziness...that bra thing is another one of my peeves. I'm *this* close to buying a support bra for a woman in my office. She wears these thin t-shirts with a practically non-existant bra....and she's in her late 40's with knockers that hang to her waist, at least an F or G cup!

Don't just buy a bra...buy one that FITS properly, with SUPPORT if you need it! Speaking as a woman who wears a 38 DDD and buys good bras that fit! It's amazing how much better you look, plus your clothes fit better AND you look thinner.

String those puppies up!
  • Someone said to me as I pointed out the too tight pants and too tight/small shirt therefore creating a lovely roll over her pants girl that if that person has the body confidence to wear it she should!

While I agree that if you got it flaunt it there is a fine line between sexy and sleazy and it is easily crossed.

I think fitted clothes are great but not ones that push and pinch and make everything stick out like that

This goes for skinny chicks as well as us fabulously curvy femmes - I have seen a number of well put together ladies who are sexy no matter what their size or age!
  • I agree word for word with all of the above...

My fashion pet peeve applies to the plus size clothes that some of us need...I HATE it when shopping when you pull a top off the rack that looks great, and then you see it has some cutesy flower or something appliqued on it. They do that to so much plus size clothing - it's like "if we put something really juvenile looking on the article of clothing, it will distract others from noticing that the person wearing it is large." Good grief!
  • Amen
    Merrylegs... you are so right about immature additions to plus size clothes. Who thinks some low-quality lace applique is going to make a BIG WOMAN "cute"?

In general, I just hope the fashion police decide I'm beyond redemption and keep their opinions to themselves. Hey... I'm over 50 and I think I've earned my eccentricities AND comfort.

When I'm back to a size 10, maybe I'll feel different.
  • I am about to be ticketed by the fashion police!

I'm off to paint and sand at the Church wearing a huge paint-stained striped shirt, a flowered painting hat, old garden pants and tacky runners without laces. Nothing is even remotely coordinated. I do have on deodorant, mascara, lipstick and gold earrings.

77 King Street, Delta - I'll wait for the sirens.
  • PainterWoman, we're all slightly offended by this thread. And I'm with you... I just wear whatever the heck I want. (although I think I've passed the test on almost all of the criticism here. )

I can appreciate why Mauvais started it, though. She works in Centretown (a government town), and there's a lot of inappropriate dressing going on out here. (mixed in with the mass of severely conservative dressers. heh heh. Ottawa is VERY straight-laced.)

Was it Wildfire who said something about overalls? No, it was Lizzi. I must admit, I LOVE my overalls. I think they look pretty sexy on some skinny chicks. (ummm, that's not me) I was looking at them in a shop the other day, and I thought, "uh oh. Someone said these are very dorky. Better not buy anymore."

Wildfire, even that girl at the bottom of the page (Bare Necessities ad) is popping out of her bra a little! Yikes! You'd think they'd find her a bra that FITS!! She's going to have lines on her breasts when she takes THAT baby off!

Ruth, I'm sure you look absolutely gorgeous. A lady is always a lady, no matter what she wears. (except for when she swears like a trooper, darling.)
  • Well, everyone has an opinion about something...so to each there own...this was supposed to just be something humorous and none of us are perfect
  • It IS humorous, Mauvais! I'm enjoying it... even when I AM criticized.
  • i knew i'd offend at least one person with my comment on overalls. i think they're cute and all, really ... but they are not very form flattering. And at least a woman can look cute in them, i still think a man would look silly.

i have a bright yellow and black cammo tank top that i love to wear that everyone i know hates. but i love it, so i wear it anyway. it makes me feel powerful and rebellious and a little bit butch
    it makes me happy. so poop on them. plus... it shows off my tattoo which most people love.
  • Backing up
    Another thing that gets on my nerves is in Torrid (a clothes shop for plus size women) they sell Strawberry Shortcake and Blues Clues Tops. Okay now if you dress a fat girl in this she will be 5 and cute.

My fashion blooper? I sometimes wear braids like Pippy Longstocking. It keeps the darn hair off my neck and I figure its my husband who wanted this hair so he can put up with me looking like a dim bulb

Miss Chris