Regainers regaining control, and relosing

You're on Page 6 of 31
Go to
  • I guess I'll just jump right in and say hello.
    I tend to disappear a lot because I'm a full-time student and the little free time I have is spent catching up on my shows. I had been coming on here a lot and got down to 187, but my visit home lasted about a month and totally derailed me. I just can't stand being in plus-sizes anymore! I want to get back into my size 11 pants (I have really large hips) and be able to shop for cute clothes online. This time, I've set more fitness goals for myself and am trying to keep my portions smaller. My new years resolution was to eat slower, and it's been helping so far.

Being back in the 180s is my Spring break goal. It's only 5 weeks away, but it's good to shoot for the stars, right?
  • I guess this is where I need to be! Hello everyone, another regainer here. In 2011 I lost quite a bit of weight (went from 289-225) and I was doing really well. But I quit smoking that fall and my weight loss slowed to a crawl. It took me 15 months to lose 15lb. I got down to my lowest adult weight of 205 and then I don't know what happened. I got seriously depressed. I still am, but I'm taking an anti-depressant and I'm in therapy.

Anyway, Ive had a serious bingeing problem for a year. I gained back nearly 40lb. I need to stop this now before it gets any worse. I need some accountability. I need to come back to this forum again. I spent a lot of time here in 2011 and I know it was a huge part of my success.
  • I belong here... I lost about 40 pounds a few years ago on here by a different name... but then I started school and moved and got into a relationship and got complacent... Gained it all back plus ten pounds. Broke up with the dope and I'm sick and tired of my weight. My best friend and I are working together. I'm not really following any particular plan or counting calories. Just cutting back portions, limiting carbs, and working out. I've lost 5 pounds so far, and I'm about a week in. I'm doing it this time. I'm possibly going to meet somebody in August and I want to feel confident when I do, cause I kinda have a crush on him LOL. He's seen pictures of me, I'm not losing weight because I don't think he likes me the way I am, it's for me... to feel good about visiting. I hope to lose 60 pounds by August which is fairly ambitious, but as long as a lose, I'm not going to beat myself up.
  • Welcome to triptriptrip, shishkeberry, and lilmissbee! Glad you are joining us! Certainly wish that no one fit this category of having to re-lose, but that's how it goes!!

I'm still feeling the effects of this cold, and I'm sounding pretty darn bad today, but I went to spin class anyway. It's funny, I didn't have trouble while spinning, just a little congestion, but now at work, I'm coughing. Ugh. But I keep reminding myself that this weight loss contest at work is only 7 weeks, so I need to keep going! I want to win the money!!!

Have a great day everyone!
  • Quote: it's good to shoot for the stars, right?
    Indeed it is! I'm doing the same myself. I'd love to be back in onederland by my vacation at the end of April, but at the rate I'm (not) losing, it's not looking great. Still, it's good to have a goal to work toward. You've got youth on your side, so you've got a better shot than me. And we're in the right place to keep our motivation strong.
  • Thank you for the welcome! I want to say that I have something to be proud of today. My DH brought home McDonald's breakfast sandwiches for the family and I haven't touched any of them. I stuck to coffee. I plan on having a huge salad for lunch.
  • Hello folks. Good to see everyone. Welcome back, shishkeberry.

Here is a question for those of you who have talked about slow weight loss: Just so we have our terminology on the same page, what do you mean by slow?

There are certainly folks on 3FC who lose an average of a pound or two a month - that is what I mean when I say "slow loss" - say, less than three pounds a month on average.

Lots of people have skewed expectations about how fast weight loss "should" be - I have seen folks on 3FC refer to averaging a pound a week as "slow" losses, though they are quickly assured by others that a pound a week is a very nice rate of loss.

I often put it this way: If you gained 50 pounds in a year, wouldn't you be horrified at putting on so much weight so quickly? Well, losing 50 pounds in a year isn't any less remarkable.

That's just my thought for the day.
  • My expectations of weightloss are different depending where I'm at in my process. I know my body... at this weight, taking off 20 pounds is absolutely nothing... the smaller I get the harder it is. Right now I'm just starting, so 2 or 3 pounds a week is average for me. But I know that once I get into Onederland it's going to be waaaay slower... 5 pounds a month or so would be phenomenal.
  • For me, 'slow' means down two, up one, down one, up half, down one, up two, for an average of around 3 pounds down a month.
  • I agree, slow weight loss is 3 or less pounds a month. I'm ok with slow weight loss at this point. It's tons better than the slow gaining I've been doing. I just started again this week so I know I'm going to see a quick loss just from the water weight. I've already lost 3.
  • Quote: I often put it this way: If you gained 50 pounds in a year, wouldn't you be horrified at putting on so much weight so quickly?
    That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, when you are in the regaining process, you are probably not keeping track of your weight. It would be interesting to know how slowly you gain weight. Unless you are just really overeating and absolutely no activity, I would think it might take some time. And, if you're not keeping track, you aren't as anxious to see movement on the scale, so you're not obsessed with how slowly it is happening. If that makes sense....

Makes me wish I would have weighed anyway, even though I was not on track. I would hope that had I made myself face the weight gain, I would have reacted more quickly and got back on track faster.

Sigh. That was more depressing than I wanted it to be.
  • I've lost only about a pound in the last month. Pretty slow. When I was at 215, it was easy to get to 205, but 204 is just sitting there. Realistically, I think I can only get down to maybe 195 in 5 weeks. Then again, maybe this plateau will mean that a pretty epic drop is coming my way. The only place I really want to see the weight loss is in my face. My dad's 50th birthday and 1st wedding anniversary are going to happen in 5 weeks (yeah, they're the same day) and I would really like to be in the pictures.
  • Good morning folks.

triptriptrip, I hope you will be in the pictures even if your face isn't exactly where you want it to be. Being different from your ideal doesn't negate you as a person or erase your presence at milestone events. Wouldn't your dad want you in the pictures?

You do remind me, though, my brother is getting married in April and I need to figure out what I am wearing. Even though I have been at this weight or lower for two and a half years, I am still not completely sure how to dress myself.

Good to hear everyone's thoughts on slow weight loss - I think we are all on the same page. Good luck and good patience to everyone who struggles with it. For most of my process I averaged about 5 pounds a month - in fits and starts, though, not in a nice straight line. Then the last 20 - the ones I am trying to relose now - were a lot slower. And I had to start working harder - shaving even more calories from my regular plan, working out harder.

Anyway, I'm coming into two weeks at home all by myself, which is always challenging for staying on plan. Nobody in my household is the food police, and yet there is a measure of embarrassment or pride that helps keep me on track when I'm not alone.
  • TripTripTrip, I agree with Carter. Make sure that you don't hold back on the pictures, even if you aren't where you want to be!

Not much going on with me. Just glad to have it be Friday!
  • I got the CUTEST dress from ASOS today. I think I will wear it for my dad's party which is in exactly 4 weeks. It lets out around the lower tummy area and is so flattering. It's amazing how confident a good piece of clothing can make you.