The Slow Carb Diet (Thread 2)

You're on Page 2 of 34
Go to
  • Good evening everyone. Thank you for the encouraging words. Nice one Jacqui!! Yes I remember we started this thread, I want to get back to that headspace. So, today went well. I managed to get home and do 15 mins on the cross trainer and then shower and get to work. I drank green tea, no coffee during the day, lots of water. I was hungry so I had a protein bar around 3 and some nuts at 4.30. My dinner was a chicken and egg salad with a spoonful of coleslaw, black olives, tomato and lettuce. I will have some more green tea before bed. I don't have the time to answer individuals. I'm going to hang out with my children (4yr old twins) for a while before their bedtime. I will read some more posts when they go to bed. Laters!!
  • Feeling so bloated right now.. probably the beans.. but I'm only having them at breakfast.. Hopefully, it won't affect the scale when time comes?
  • TwoTots, good eats today! And yay getting your crossfit in! Great job! That's the way to do it, and you even managed to post!

Pamela, it probably is the beans. When is your weigh-in? I don't know if that would affect the scales or not. Anybody know? :
  • TwoTots work and those machines are things that I stay away from also. There are so many and they take a card, smh. The coffee machine doesn't take a card but the small is a quarter and the large is fifty cents, not good Good eats today but your calories just from what you said seem low. Jacqui just told us something about low calories and working out so be careful, I sure am trying 4 year old twins that's fun … two of our boys are 14 months apart and boy did I have fun with them though not the same, it was still everything double but that younger one was potty trained quickly

Gary good advice … more stuff to put on the fridge If we lived in our old house I could dedicate a wall to health advice I'd love that

Pamela it's eyv … Eat Your Vegetables chips, here's the link snikiddy.com/type/eat-your-vegetables‎. When I eat them they don't leave me wanting more like regular chips. I think your meals look great, I'd take your menu for the day for sure. I use to eat 3 eggs but now I can barely handle two I guess that's a good thing. Pamela, I bought these 88 cent chewables at Walmart. They did the trick today. My lunch gives me gas most days so something had to be done. Can't just pass gas at work, Sorry if TMI but the chewables worked today

Thanks Jacqui, you just put everything into perspective ---> Knowing I've gotten to 167.5 is important to me because, although everyone may not view it this way, I feel like that's my real weight. The rest of this is excess water weight. <--- I have never thought about it like this, thank you

Pamela and Jacqui I don't know if affects the scale but it sure does have an affect on me

A girl at work that was doing the Daniel fast for 21 days just started eating yesterday. She had chili, cheese fries. She said she had been wanting them the whole time we've been in training because everyone kept buying them. I have until February 2nd. Jacqui I have our conversation posted so I know what to do. I am actually wondering what I will eat on that day and how it will affect my weight. I think maybe I should add one thing in at a time, though honestly I don't have a problem with the way I am eating now, other than getting all of my calories in some days. … this is just me thinking in print because the girl at work is very very thin, I clearly am not … so her offering me fries and the diabetic guy beside me eating a bag of cheddar crackers is more than I want to deal with … ok thinking in print done

oh and I think we all need to get some beano or something of the like … it sure can't hurt

I'm gonna post the chart below until 1/28 hoping that I see 168.2 by then

12/08 weight 178.2
    12/27 weight 180.4
    01/08 weight 173.4
    01/27 weight ???.?
  • Rennie,

Thanks for that link.. those looks really good.. so they just count as a veggie? Looks like a store in Fresno carries them, I'll have to go next trip there...

What were those .88 chewables you bought? Brand, etc.. They are for gas, right? I think I need them really bad by tomorrow, LOL

I also keep burping? I'm not starving, so it's not like I'm inhaling my food, I'm taking my time, so what's up with the burping, LOL

Jacqui, I am going to weigh on Saturday morning, before I start Faturday.. lol I don't even know if I should.. I'm scared that I didn't loose anything.. but we shall see.. I think I'll go to 2 eggs in the morning then.. I can deal.. it's like I'm cheating just eating the eggs anyways.. so.. LOL

Goodnight everyone!
  • Good morning everyone. I've no time to exercise this morning. My car is in being serviced so I have to rely on a lift to work which shortens my available time for exercising. My plan today..
    BF: proteinn, spinach, coffee, chia seed shake
    Lunch: My school offers hot lunches so today is pork tenderloin and green beans, no spuds
    Snack: some chicken strips
    Dinner: Not sure maybe the ham and egg salad
    I'm working late so I have some monkey nuts and a protein bar to keep me from snacking on carbs from the vending machine or trays of cookies that people leave in the staff room. Have a good day everyone. i will post my weight when I reach my ticker weight. I refuse to change it. A couple of days should get me back there.
  • Pamela, I count them as a vegetable because they are made with beans and something else but not regular flour. Since they don't make me want more I think that may be why. I only eat them with spinach dip (Food Lion brand) it has a lot of spinach and the numbers aren't bad for a serving. I count everything, I can't break the habit. The gas relief, is by DR CHOICE, Gas Relief (the container says compare to Mylanta Gas Active Ingredients) I didn't compare it I just saw the price and said if it doesn't work then I haven't lost much. But they work. LOL, I'd much rather burp than pass gas . I have only noticed the burps when I eat cold egg salad. It's really bad so I heat it a little before eating it and the reflux isn't as bad.

TwoTots you day sounds well planned out I hear you on the ticker. I hate to change mine. It seems like when I do the weight just goes crazy

well I knew my 6 wouldn't stick just yet. I hadn't earned it for real, it was just a much needed trip to the bathroom. I am up .6 to 170.4, which is still good. But I think I'll be in the 160's by Monday if I can get to the gym every day

Have a good day Everyone … Keep smiling
  • I am behind again and have some catching up to do with my friends on our thread! I took off work yesterday and wasn't online at all.

But a quick note as I'm trying to catch up..... Steph, I like cottage cheese as well and haven't been having any since fruit is not allowed on the diet. But your recipe with avocado, salsa and hot sauce sounds delish! I'm going to try that soon.

Good news! I'm down to 148.8 this morning. Couple of days ago I was at 152.2. Just goes to show how water weight affects us, and how not being at home and access to the SlimQuick for a couple of days threw me off as well. So now I'm about a 1/2 pound lighter than the morning I weighed in on my Saturday cheat day. My Thur goal was to be 147, but I'm going to take this. As long as I'm making some progress. Hoping by Saturday morning before cheat evening I'll weigh close to that.

Gotta catch up with everyone else in a few after I catch up with work e-mails.
  • Ok I caught up on the recent posts.

Pamela I was feeling really bloated and gassy due to the beans. I did a lot of reading on the subject and tried everything from canned vs. soaked, etc. I finally had to just cut down on them, and I think my body has adjusted a bit too. They are great because all of the fibre makes you feel nice and full. I don't think they'll affect the scale. But even Tim Ferriss has said that you may need to play around with your diet at times. So if you don't lose weight, maybe do what you have planned and cut back on some things, like number of eggs. I thought that sounded like a good plan, and your food log looks great to me!

Jacqui very good point regarding the true weight vs water weight. I am so anxious that I may be making some inadvertent mistake, but I think you are on to something.

Rennie your progress this past month is awesome! I remember when you needed that pep talk, and you have been doing so well since then! Well done you!

Twotots you will get there. It is so hard to get into the diet rhythm. Giving up our comfort foods and finding time and energy for exercise…. But once you start you will start feeling better and have more energy (that is how I motivate myself when I am finding it challenging).

Gary very good words to live by! By the way, I've picked up your modification to also count and restrict calories and I think that is what is working best for me. Slow carb and clean eating foods, in moderation. And exercise of course...makes me feel better this time of year anyway.
  • Rennie, thanks for that.. I have it on my list for my next WalsMart trip! You are right, burping is better than farting, LMBO I'll take it! I need those chips, sounds so good with spinach dip!

Missy, yeah, the first few days I ate canned refried with no troubles, then I made a big ole slow cooker pot of pinto beans and am tooting like crazy, lol

Ok, I gotta run today.. I have to think if this weekend is a good weekend to get away with the family.. hubby wants to take a day trip to the coast and I'm not sure it's the best time with me just starting the diet, however, it would be Faturday, so it may not be such a big deal as I'm making it.. we really do need to get out of town.

My Meals 1/22/14:

Before Breakfast - Brocolli w/butter before getting my girls to school, was so hungry, felt nauseous
    B - 3 Scrambled eggs with onions and 1/2 c pinto beans, sprinkle of cheese, coffee with sugar free creamer
    L - Leftover Steak (4 oz) salad with ranch/italian dressing mix (1 1/2 tbsp)
    S - 1/2 c Nuts - too many of them
    D - 1 Pork chop with 1 tbsp ranch dressing, brocolli with butter
    S - Pork rines
    Right before bed: 1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Water / Tea - maybe 32 oz or less.. didn't do well on water

Pamela
  • Pamela I remember reading that refried beans produce less gas, and found the article! It's mentioned on the second page, last paragraph.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/svrep...ithout_gas.pdf
  • Missy, yay on being 148.8 today! Keep going!

Rennie, that little bump up is just water. Your real weight is in the 160's! I'm not worried about the choices you'll make once Feb. 2nd rolls around. I have no doubt, you got this!

TwoTots, yay on taking the protein bar to stay away from the vending machine! Your meals look good! And I don't blame you for not wanting to move the ticker up. I never do. With as much as our weights are going to bounce around with a cheat day built into our diet, there's no point. Plus, it's extra motivation to get back to that (real) weight as quickly as possible!

Pamela, I say take your family day, take your Faturday, enjoy yourself, and just be ready to crack down on Sunday!

Today, I am down a half-lb to 169.5! I had a really big dinner last night so I am fortunate to have dropped back down into the 160's at all! We went out with friends last night to a really nice buffet, and although I stayed on plan, it was just more food than I'm used to having. My eyes were bigger than my stomach and I was so full! Needless to say, I was really surprised to have dropped instead of gained!

Week 27:
    1/18: 168 Cheat Day
    1/19: 170.5
    1/20: 170
    1/21: 171
    1/22: 170
    1/23: 169.5
    1/24:

Today's Meals:
    Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
    Lunch: a large veggie salad topped with tunafish, chopped walnuts, raw sunflower seeds, and ranch dressing, Mio water
    Dinner: veggie salad with ranch dressing, white bean and ham soup, a teapot of green tea, Mio water

Today's Exercise:
    Evening: Leslie Sansone 2-mile indoor walking video
  • Thanks Missy and look at you GO job well done

Pamela, I noticed that only one Walmart here sells them so I don't know what I'll do when I can't find them. I buy the sour cream flavor. They have a bunch of the bags of the sea salt flavor but my Auntie said she finds sea salt saltier than regular. I have never tried it so I don't know and I don't want to spend $3 on a bag and not eat them I ate my spinach today and chewed two of those tabs and no gas, ME. LOL Pamela on the tooting that really made me laugh out loud

Thanks Jacqui Yay on getting back to the 160's

Hi Steph

Where's Gary, dt and Joe?

Week 4 of 5

01/22 ~ 169.8 (-0.8)
    01/23 ~ 170.4 (+0.6)
    01/24 ~
    01/25 ~
    01/26 ~
    01/27 ~
    01/28 ~

total loss for the week

12/08 weight 178.2
    12/27 weight 180.4
    01/08 weight 173.4
    01/27 weight ???.?

I'm pooped, have a great night everyone rest well
  • TGIF! Good morning fellow slow carbers. I am in Europe, the Netherlands so Im on a totally different time frame than yourselves. I'm just up having my proteinshake and planning my day. I get up and put my work out clothes on as soon as. When I come back from bringing my children to school I have an hour and half before I need to be in work so that's my time to do a little exercise and then get myself ready for work. I plan on using my cross trainer agin today. The hardest time of my day is when the children are in bed and I settle down to watch some tv. Last night I found myself fighting with myself while I was prowling around my kitchen wanting to snack. I need to plan a bit better for this time of the day. I should look out for some of the vegetable chips that I've seen mentioned on the thread. Eating in front of the tv is a big time habit I need to break. I'm thinking of maybe having a protein shake at this time it's a large drink and is on plan. It's too easy to let my food demons win and "just a little taste" mentality take over. Because it's never just a little taste!!! I'm skipping cheat day this week because I had many cheat days last week. I think I do as Gary did and skip them for a few weeks. Easier said than done, I really look forward to cheat day but last week cheat day lasted for 4 cheat days. I think I need to get into my diet groove before I allow myself a bit of food freedom. Maybe instead of cheat day I will make a large batch of roasted chicken legs and cheat with these types of foods. I have to plan better for next week, planning on making a large chili this weekend maybe some guacamole, some hummus and carrot sticks. Having those types of foods in the fridge makes snacking more forgiving. No plans this weekend. We are having a mild winter, it's cold and lashing rain but no big freeze yet. Having to scrape the car, defrost the windshield and bundle up the kids can turn my morning routine into a rushed madness. Have a great day everyone I will catch up with you all again later.

BF: Protein, chia seed, spinach coffee shake
    Lunch:Chicken gyros and salad (work canteen)
    Dinner: ? maybe an omlette with ham and mushrooms
    snack: protein bar, some nuts
    Maybe an extra protein shake in the evening.
    Exercise: 15 mins on the cross trainer
  • TwoTots, I won't be having cheat days until after Feb 2nd, and my plan is the same as yours with the exception of a low carb tortilla shell, low carb bread, wild rice and I may try a sweet potato. I don't know about the pasta but I think I may try to see how gluten free works next month also. I'm with you on scraping the window and heating up the vehicle. It does make for a rushed morning Have a great day

QUESTION When you all make your chili, do you add your own seasonings or do you use the low sodium McCormick season pack? I find that even though it says low sodium, when you add it up on MFP a serving still has a high sodium count.

Well no 160's but I am at 170 even down .4 from yesterday. I changed my ticker and when I get to 169 and it actually sticks around for a couple of days I'll change the next one to my next mini goal of 165. The 169 is what I had hoped to be by Valentine's Day so I'll have to change it

Have a Positively On Point day Everyone