IP Daily Chat

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • Good morning !

No snow here yet, but the government is closed anyway.

So, yesterday, I totally spaced out and ate 4 packets, thinking I only had 2. It was three unrestricted and one restricted. Would that knock me out of ketosis?
  • Quote: Good morning, all, and congrats to OojoyoO on reaching onederland!

I'm on day 16 and all is going pretty well. I do have a few questions/concerns and would appreciate some feedback.

1. I think I may be using too much olive oil. I add it to my lunchtime salad dressing (2 tsp) but then I'll also toss some with my veggies in the evening to roast them. Does any of the oil "cook off" or am I being bad?

2. I've been fighting a bit of a virus since Saturday (bad sore throat/ears, kind of stuffed up). This seems to be going on longer than my usual ailments. At 900-ish calories a day does my body have the energy it needs to fight the germs? Does anyone go off plan a little during sickness?

3. I keep getting little heart flutters - maybe three or four times a day. No pain or anything startling. Just little flutters. Anyone else get that? This is not my first time trying a low carb diet so I doubt ketosis is the cause (like many here, I've tried just about everything!), but it is the first time I've had so few calories a day. Any suggestions?

Thanks, all. I cannot believe the success I've had so far - 8 pounds in two weeks, which is amazing for me and quadruple my normal rate of weight loss. Would love to keep going with this program, so I'm grateful for any suggestions/solutions anyone can offer.
    Thanks!! I'm so excited. I may be able to shed some light on a couple of your questions...

1. I do this all the time and it hasn't had any effect on my losses. I'm fairly certain that oil used to cook isn't included in the 2 tsp, but someone else may want to chime in.

3. I think it's related to what you're eating. For me, extra iodine (love kelp noodles) always causes heart palpitations. I'm definitely not an expert, but I would try eliminating certain things or log my foods and pay attention to when the flutters occur, etc.
  • Quote: We're supposed to get quite a bit here too. I work on a military installation, so hopefully they close post before it gets too bad, so I don't have to drive in it in my little car. Everyone please be careful on the roads!!

So I've made it back into onderland this morning and it feels great! My mom came to visit me for the long weekend and although I was low carb all the way, I know my portion sizes were not IP on Friday evening when she brought over steak and shrimp - yum! And I overindulged. But the rest of the weekend I avoided temptation (bacon for breakfast) and stayed OP. Question about Mio and/or Crystal Light... I bought some this weekend because I just need some flavor in my water. How much is acceptable?
    Congratulations!
    My coach said it was ok to use WF products & Mio as much as I liked as long as I was happy with my weight loss. I used Mio (peach mango) in all of my 64 oz of water, a little over 1 bottle/week. WF dressing was on my salad everyday and also a liberal amount of WF mayo mixed with Thick & Spicy BBQ sauce everyday (on chicken).

Weight loss averaged out to 3 lbs/week for 7 mo. I'm not sure I would have stayed OP without those products. Everyone is different. Whoever said we are each an experiment of one nailed it!
  • Quote: Thanks!! I'm so excited. I may be able to shed some light on a couple of your questions...

1. I do this all the time and it hasn't had any effect on my losses. I'm fairly certain that oil used to cook isn't included in the 2 tsp, but someone else may want to chime in.

3. I think it's related to what you're eating. For me, extra iodine (love kelp noodles) always causes heart palpitations. I'm definitely not an expert, but I would try eliminating certain things or log my foods and pay attention to when the flutters occur, etc.
    If you did not check with or get approval from your primary physician before hand, I would do that now. There are some electrolyte imbalances that can affect the heart rthyms, and better safe than sorry. He/she may want to order some simple baseline blood work...it's a good idea anyway even if you feel 100%.

Take your all your IP info in with you and tell the receptionist when you schedule you need at least 20 minutes to talk. It's OK to say it's personal. You do not need to launch a discussion with the phone person. Prepare everything about what you are doing/eating/vitamin regimen ...(take bottles with you)...write your questions down.20 min goes fast.

Actually...later you'll be glad to have the base lines to compare...when you are doing so well and can track the improvement. If you don't measure it ...it's hard celebrate improvement!

Good luck...don't take chances!
  • My NSV: Last evening, I finally got out a brand new yoga mat that I got a year ago for Christmas. Yes, Christmas 2012. I had purchased a $7.99 Yoga for Beginners video at Costco. You never know what you're going to get for $7.99, but I figured at that price, I could not go wrong. I have done yoga before, but not in a while but this was the best $8 I have ever spent. I did not make it through the whole video, but I almost did. That will be one of my short term goals. And afterward, I felt fantastic! I'm looking forward to making it a part of my daily routine. May it accelerate my weight loss and mental well being! :-)
  • Oh, and another message to 65x65: I won't need the consignment stores....I'll be able to shop in my closet on the way down. I never gave up hope that I'd be able to get back into a lot of my clothes. When I hit goal, I'll go shopping! :-)
  • Favored drinks
    Quote: All of you facing bad weather please stay safe!

We've had such a mild winter - one day of snow that didn't last and a few freezing days but 40s and rain otherwise.

OojoyoO: If I remember right, some clinics allow up to 6 servings of "extras" (Mio, WF, etc.) a day. I stay away from the Mio, etc. for the most part because it sets off my acid reflux and add strong brewed herbal teas to my water instead if I need a change.
    I have tried to stay away from or severely limit the extra flavoring although I indulge on days when I just find water a challenge.

What I do instead is allow myself a treat at Starbucks with my husband. Instead of the old Frapucchinos, I have a Tazo tea - passion fruit which is a blend of hibiscus, lemongrass, rose hips, mango and passion fruit. I get a grande and they use two bags. It is so intense that I can take it home and save the bags to use again the next day for another treat.
  • I have been so brave/ motivated in the kitchen lately. Maybe I was getting bored of the same old dinners. It is 10:19 am and I already have salad made for tonight, chicken marinating in spices, and home made salsa to top it all off! I like this new, motivated me and hope she sticks around! She's a darn good cook.
  • Quote: My NSV: Last evening, I finally got out a brand new yoga mat that I got a year ago for Christmas. Yes, Christmas 2012. I had purchased a $7.99 Yoga for Beginners video at Costco. You never know what you're going to get for $7.99, but I figured at that price, I could not go wrong. I have done yoga before, but not in a while but this was the best $8 I have ever spent. I did not make it through the whole video, but I almost did. That will be one of my short term goals. And afterward, I felt fantastic! I'm looking forward to making it a part of my daily routine. May it accelerate my weight loss and mental well being! :-)
    Quote: Oh, and another message to 65x65: I won't need the consignment stores....I'll be able to shop in my closet on the way down. I never gave up hope that I'd be able to get back into a lot of my clothes. When I hit goal, I'll go shopping! :-)
    Vippysue..(Love your screen name!)

Big smilie on both of these. My smaller sized clothes were all career things for work...and I retired ...(REEAL BIG SMILIE...!!)
    So it was fun to figure out what I wanted/needed to wear. Also...as many have noted...the styles change and you don't always realize it.....so you MAY still want a few trendy things and the resale shops are so much fun. The threads on spring shopping last year were a hoot with people posting pictures of finds and talking popping tags...

In any case...you are on your way and it's all good! Keep up the stretching and flexibility workouts. They help your muscle tone for when you increase intensity and duration. To say nothing of balance. Most of us find our center of gravity changed...and we are less than graceful as we re-aclimate to THAT!
  • Quote: We're supposed to get quite a bit here too. I work on a military installation, so hopefully they close post before it gets too bad, so I don't have to drive in it in my little car. Everyone please be careful on the roads!!

So I've made it back into onderland this morning and it feels great! My mom came to visit me for the long weekend and although I was low carb all the way, I know my portion sizes were not IP on Friday evening when she brought over steak and shrimp - yum! And I overindulged. But the rest of the weekend I avoided temptation (bacon for breakfast) and stayed OP. Question about Mio and/or Crystal Light... I bought some this weekend because I just need some flavor in my water. How much is acceptable?
    Yay for Onderland! I use 1 or 2 servings of MiO per day but I always make sure I get at least 80 oz of plain water in before I use it...just one of my own quirky "rules".

Quote: Good morning, no snow last night but it is minus 31 with the windchill! Brrr! It was so nice and mild last week and we lost most of our snow, but we got it all back and then some between Sunday and yesterday. I am ready for spring. No more snow and cold, and i plan to be 25 lbs lighter by then.
    Look at what I highlighted...I like the way you think
  • Quote: Vippysue..(Love your screen name!)

In any case...you are on your way and it's all good! Keep up the stretching and flexibility workouts. They help your muscle tone for when you increase intensity and duration. To say nothing of balance. Most of us find our center of gravity changed...and we are less than graceful as we re-aclimate to THAT!
    You said it, as usual 65! One more reason to exercise. I have become klutzy since losing weight. You have the best IP advice. IP would do well to have you in their videos & Q & As, imho.
  • Woohoo! Base is closing in 15 minutes - before the snow hits. I'm going to stop at the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for some IP recipes I've been dying to try and spend the afternoon playing in the kitchen It's so funny - last week (week 1 restart) I was struggling with missing certain foods, but now it's coming back to me how much fun it is to try new things and make healthier versions of my favorite dishes. I love IP and could not do it without all the great info here on the forums.
  • Quote: Thanks!! I'm so excited. I may be able to shed some light on a couple of your questions...

I cannot have any extra iodine because I have Graves Disease. The thyroid uses iodine to create T4 hormone and then T4 makes T3. With Graves, my body makes too much T4. Right now we are trying to keep me off anti-thyroid meds, so I am watching iodine. One symptom of Graves is rapid heart rate.
  • Good morning - I am sitting here in my size 10 pants feeling very smug with myself. But not done yet! Easy to get complacent as I found out over Christmas. Gotta keep my head in the game.
  • 0ojoyo0: Are the kelp noodles similar to Miracle Noodles? I've seen them before but never tried them.