Food Network

• Just an "I wonder" thread, but does anybody besides me find it hard to watch food network since they began their weight loss journey. I mean, I think I have pretty good self-control, but my god, it gets to be a fat girl's dream, so I feel like I literally have to be stuffed before I can watch the channel. I thought I only had to do that before going grocery shopping...
  • I have the opposite reaction - gives me the "rush" of junk food without the calories.
  • No, I can't watch it. I love it but I can't watch it. To me it's the same thing as snacking, once I start I want more and it actually makes me crave food so I stay away.
  • I don't watch food network, but I do get food cravings when I search recipes online and see all of the pictures of the food. Which can be somewhat counter-productive, considering I am usually trying to find low-calorie and healthier recipes to try out.
    But the pictures tend to induce cravings for me. Same thing usually goes when people start talking about how great something tastes or describing food.
    It's not something that causes in incredibly intense craving or a binge, but of a more annoying little craving in the back of your mind mostly sparked by the curiosity or how something tastes or the memory of enjoying a certain type of food.
  • It depends on the show. I tend to get cravings watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives more than if I am watching a regular cooking show.
  • I cannot watch the Barefoot Contessa, but have no problem with shows like Chopped, where I sometimes wonder how the judges can even taste the final results.
  • Depends on the show for me as well. I used to watch Paula Deen's cooking show and felt repulsed by how much butter she used, but I'd still be salivating. I love food way too much! DD&D makes me SO hungry as well.

Chopped and Iron Chef Of America? Not so much.
  • I like Food Network, actually I have Restaurant Impossible on now. I do get tempted by food so sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming but there are some great shows on and it gives me lots of great ideas.
  • Not really. I actually love when I get to watch it while working out. I don't find myself tempted by the food as much as sometimes repulsed by all the frying and butter that gets used. I like the healthy eating shows. I'm ruined, what can I say?
  • Does anyone else LOSE their appetite when looking at healthy food pr0n? Sure, I tend to eat some sort of variation, but somehow, seeing a lettuce cup filled with quinoa in that glowy "Barbara Walters" lighting on Tumblr or whatnot is just so unappealing to me hahah.
  • I pretty much subscribe to the whole eat things in moderation bit. I watch a lot of cooking shows really just to get some ideas for dinner. LOL

But I do have to say that those "healthier" shows really turn me off. For one thing, they're always using ingredients that I have a hard time finding in my stores, let alone getting my family to eat. So it's all about picking your battles.
  • Quote: I pretty much subscribe to the whole eat things in moderation bit. I watch a lot of cooking shows really just to get some ideas for dinner. LOL

But I do have to say that those "healthier" shows really turn me off. For one thing, they're always using ingredients that I have a hard time finding in my stores, let alone getting my family to eat. So it's all about picking your battles.
    hahahaha yes and I always love the fall-back idea of "take away the bun, do an open face sandwich and reduce cals!" WELL GEE doesn't that take away the point of having a sandwich?
    Lemme make up for that lettuce half sandwich by taking a quick trip to the deli for a two-slice bread one! hahahha
  • Yes! That always gets me how they take off the bun and use a lettuce or something else. To me, that's a salad. Use a fork people! LOL
  • Like someone else posted I'm the opposite, watching cooking shows indulges my love of food without me eating any of it. I also love reading menus online
  • Yeah, I really enjoy watching food network while eating healthy actually. I find that watching them cook delicious (but unhealthy!) foods satisfies my appetite for those foods in a strange way. I don't feel any real urge to make unhealthy food choices when I watch food network. If I were in the studio audience, though, all bets would be off!