Restart/reboot starting Jan 1,2014....

You're on Page 33 of 35
Go to
  • Quote: I guess it's relative. I see people with much greater losses and I feel like I must be doing something wrong! Glad to know I'm not alone. Hopefully things will pick up for us soon!
    There is research that shows you lose quickest the first time you do a low carb diet. Most people find it much slower second time around.
  • Quote: There is research that shows you lose quickest the first time you do a low carb diet. Most people find it much slower second time around.
    I was afraid this was the case
  • Quote: I was afraid this was the case
    Hang in there RN4! See if you can get in all your food to keep your metabolism humming along. Not to be too personal but could it be time some Smooth Move tea? That can really keep fat loss from showing up on the scale . But really, 10 lbs lost & your discipline staying OP is to be celebrated!
  • Quote: Hang in there RN4! See if you can get in all your food to keep your metabolism humming along. Not to be too personal but could it be time some Smooth Move tea? That can really keep fat loss from showing up on the scale . But really, 10 lbs lost & your discipline staying OP is to be celebrated!
    Thank you. I've never tried the tea...but it might be time
  • Quote: I was afraid this was the case
    I did IP last January for about 2 months and the weight just melted off. I tried to get back on plan in September to lose a few of the pounds I gained over the summer and it wouldn't budge. I'm a daily weigher and the first time every single day I'd either be the exact same or lower. In September my weight was constantly bouncing around. I realize that's normal, but was quite frustrating since I wasn't used to that. I'm only on Day 3 now so tough to say how quick I'll be able to lose it this go around, but the less you have to lose the slower it's going to be! I'm expecting to lose 2 lbs a week and if one week I lose more, I'll be that much more happy!
  • Quote: Unrealistic expectations are the best recipe to set you up for failure. Not knowing what has to happen to lose weight (not glycogen/water) will fuel impatience, then disappointment, then counterproductive actions. A serving of oil more or less will not solve your problem, because the problem is all in your head. Weight loss and keeping that weight off! is not easy and magical, not even on IP, it is hard work and takes time and determination.
    Hmm. I usually find this forum to be very supportive and understanding. I'm a little surprised that you're so quick to diagnose that it's "all in my head." I know what it takes to maintain a heathy weight. I've done it my whole life. My two IP experiences have been to lose baby weight. I do think a little tweak here and there make a diffence on this plan, that's why we are all very careful to read labels, figure out % from fat, etc to maintain the right balance for fat burning. I never said I was looking for anything "magical," just input on what may be making my experience this time different from my last. I have the willpower and strength to do this, thanks anyway for the warning.
  • Quote: There is research that shows you lose quickest the first time you do a low carb diet. Most people find it much slower second time around.
    I've heard that before, but this time around, I seem to be losing faster than the first time I did IP. Not by much, but a couple of pounds more in my first month than the first month 2 years ago on IP. Same starting weight. Hopefully it stays this way.
  • Quote: I've lost 10 pounds the first month of my restart. On any other diet, I would be thrilled, but since its IP, I feel like it should be more. I lost 16 the first month with a similar starting weight the first time. I am drinking all of my water, doing restricted 3-4x/week (and the lower carb count restricted items), not exercising, and measuring everything. The only thing that isn't 100% is I probably miss a serving of veggies 3x/week or so and sometimes don't get all of my olive oil in. This usually happens when I get busy at work (I'm an ICU nurse). Could this be my issue? I feel like I'm being more careful than my first go at it, so I'm a little surprised. I'm motivated and will stick to it, but would appreciate your input!
    From the reading I've done on low carb diets (over the last 10-12 years), I've learned there appears to be a "golden opportunity" when the body hasn't been on low carb before. This is probably why you lost more previously. It doesn't mean you can't lose (obviously you're losing!) but the first time we're almost "tricking" the body into shedding some weight. This time the body figures it out more quickly.

I've also recently learned that there are biological markers some folks can have that makes low carb diets worse for them (I'm NOT saying this is you but perhaps it could be people who have not have good experiences on IP).

Many things have changed since the first time you did IP. You are a bit older, you've done it before (yo yo dieting is BAD for us!), and you have more stress in your life now.

So, in a nutshell, I say be happy with the 10 lbs and move forward knowing this experience may not mirror your last IP journey. But it will have the same outcome! And the oil & veggies ARE important. Our bodies need that little bit of fat and the carbs from the veggies are good for us as well. If you miss any oil, be sure to grab a steak!
  • Quote: From the reading I've done on low carb diets (over the last 10-12 years), I've learned there appears to be a "golden opportunity" when the body hasn't been on low carb before. This is probably why you lost more previously. It doesn't mean you can't lose (obviously you're losing!) but the first time we're almost "tricking" the body into shedding some weight. This time the body figures it out more quickly.

I've also recently learned that there are biological markers some folks can have that makes low carb diets worse for them (I'm NOT saying this is you but perhaps it could be people who have not have good experiences on IP).

Many things have changed since the first time you did IP. You are a bit older, you've done it before (yo yo dieting is BAD for us!), and you have more stress in your life now.

So, in a nutshell, I say be happy with the 10 lbs and move forward knowing this experience may not mirror your last IP journey. But it will have the same outcome! And the oil & veggies ARE important. Our bodies need that little bit of fat and the carbs from the veggies are good for us as well. If you miss any oil, be sure to grab a steak!
    Breath of fresh air. Thank you.
  • Thanks!
    Quote: So, in a nutshell, I say be happy with the 10 lbs and move forward knowing this experience may not mirror your last IP journey. But it will have the same outcome! And the oil & veggies ARE important. Our bodies need that little bit of fat and the carbs from the veggies are good for us as well. If you miss any oil, be sure to grab a steak!
    Great advice! So true and it brings me hope and determination to keep going. Thank you!
  • Glad to see that it is different for us the second time around and that any loss is a success at this point. We have the scale going in the right direction now and that is a positive! We can do this ladies. I'm hanging tough!
  • my reboot is going very slow too but I knew this would happen. Although I feel skinnier and I haven't weighed yet this week, I feel I haven't loss anything for some reason. This week was suppose to be my good WI.

Oh well, going to keep trying. Not giving up at all.
    HI KNM, welcome back, glad you had a good vacation. Sorry I've been too busy to read or type much on here lately.
  • Hi everyone,

I'll "weigh in" on the discussion about losses that do or don't differ in subsequent IP journeys:

First time I did IP=11 lbs lost the first month

Second time I did IP=10 lbs lost the first month

This time=11 lbs lost the first month

My starting weight was a little higher the first time than either the second or third time, but not by much.

Karen
  • Had my WI today and down 2.4. Not great but it's going in the right direction and that's good enough for me!
  • Quote: Hmm. I usually find this forum to be very supportive and understanding. I'm a little surprised that you're so quick to diagnose that it's "all in my head." I know what it takes to maintain a heathy weight. I've done it my whole life. My two IP experiences have been to lose baby weight. I do think a little tweak here and there make a diffence on this plan, that's why we are all very careful to read labels, figure out % from fat, etc to maintain the right balance for fat burning. I never said I was looking for anything "magical," just input on what may be making my experience this time different from my last. I have the willpower and strength to do this, thanks anyway for the warning.
    I think you are doing really well. My losses were slow the first time on IP (2011), but I stuck with it & I will this time, but I get a little ( not alot) discouraged sometimes, but the weather probably is as much to blame. lol
    Keep up the good job