Ideal Protein Newcomers introduce yourself here!

You're on Page 28 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: I would never expect a person to drink if they did not want to or could not for a variety of reasons. Our gatherings come with a lot of food and a lot of booze. Culturally, food is unfortunately the main focus of every event. There is an expectation that there will be a variety of dishes and there will be a lot of it. Dirty plate is expected or it is considered rude. I am just trying to plan ahead. In March we have two family events to attend, and the month of May alone we have a party to attend every single weekend, and there is no way to get out of any of them. Hopefully by then I will learn how to manage through them.
    We definitely find ways to deal with gatherings.
    I even checked a menu for a family wedding last year and supplemented with some p1 friendly foods (rather than a asking a stressed bride to do anything special for me). Nobody really noticed/cared. And if they had, my plan was to say I had a diagnosed medical condition and I'm on a special diet to see if we could reverse it. Talking about "ailments" is usually enough to get people to want to talk about something else! I had no need to tell them the medical condition was obesity.

None of their business.

For some reason, folks just don't treat it with the same seriousness as other conditions. They think you can eat everything at "their" event and diet tomorrow. Well, I cannot. To lose weight and keep it off, my eating must be managed daily. It has been a total mindset shift and it started with staying on P1 no matter what...through a whole year of holidays, gatherings, and special events.
  • Good morning! Each day (back on the IP wagon) I'm finding it easier to stay calm, cool and collected!

RuthAnn, the quote about being fat is hard, dieting is hard, pick your hard, really clicked with me when I read it a while back.

We all deal with stressors and difficulties and I know that in order to better manage mine, I need to take care of myself first. That's been a difficult thing for me over the years. I have a child (adult now - 19 yrs old!) with significant disabilities and being a caregiver to him all these years - and I know for years to come has had me on a roller coaster like never imagined (and I don't DO roller coasters - scared to death of them LOL)!! But, we do what we MUST do for those we love. I just have to remind myself that I have to be MY best to be here for my family.

And, his habit of getting me up between 330-400am gives me some time to check these boards on and off to keep up the motivation :-) He does head back to school today (lives on campus during the week which is so good for him) and home on weekends, so when he's out the door today is when I'll grab a nap if needed - but I might not even need that today!!
  • Quote: I would never expect a person to drink if they did not want to or could not for a variety of reasons. Our gatherings come with a lot of food and a lot of booze. Culturally, food is unfortunately the main focus of every event. There is an expectation that there will be a variety of dishes and there will be a lot of it. Dirty plate is expected or it is considered rude. I am just trying to plan ahead. In March we have two family events to attend, and the month of May alone we have a party to attend every single weekend, and there is no way to get out of any of them. Hopefully by then I will learn how to manage through them.
    Lisa put it best about planning.

My response was the way it was because you said you'd be really offended if you threw a party and someone only drank water with lemon.

Same goes with the food. I bolded the above statement. People have food allergies, sensitivities, or may simply not like the food being served.

Honestly, most people are so wrapped up with themselves they are not noticing what you are or are not eating/drinking. Part of this journey is taking care of yourself. I hope you find a way to stick to it through all your events...I think you will be very pleased with yourself if you are able to do so!
  • Good morning,
    I've been lurking around the edges. I've been a low carber for decades but decided to try IP to get these last pounds off.

I gave IP a very brief try back around 2011 but never stuck with it so I'm truly a newbie today and hope to learn a lot from all of you! I'm inspired by all the success I see here so I am committing to this until I reach my ultimate goal of around 136.

I started on February 7th at 151.2, down from 154 in January using Atkins.

I'm hoping to be successful using Alternative products.

I do have a question. I walk a minimum of 30 minutes daily, sometimes 90 minutes depending the route I walk home from work. I also take an hour of Pilates Reformer classes 4-5x a week. Should I be eating 3 packets and one meal? I think I would like to split my protein between lunch and dinner on heavier exercise days. Can I still get great results?

I do weigh in at WW for accountability. It has helped me from straying too far off path for several years.
  • I am new to Ideal Protein plans. I need all the support I can get.
  • Hello to everyone... I am starting the ideal protein diet in the next week and looking forward to a new healthier me! I hope I have as much success as many of you
  • Quote: Good morning,
    I've been lurking around the edges. I've been a low carber for decades but decided to try IP to get these last pounds off.

I gave IP a very brief try back around 2011 but never stuck with it so I'm truly a newbie today and hope to learn a lot from all of you! I'm inspired by all the success I see here so I am committing to this until I reach my ultimate goal of around 136.

I started on February 7th at 151.2, down from 154 in January using Atkins.

I'm hoping to be successful using Alternative products.

I do have a question. I walk a minimum of 30 minutes daily, sometimes 90 minutes depending the route I walk home from work. I also take an hour of Pilates Reformer classes 4-5x a week. Should I be eating 3 packets and one meal? I think I would like to split my protein between lunch and dinner on heavier exercise days. Can I still get great results?

I do weigh in at WW for accountability. It has helped me from straying too far off path for several years.
    Most people add a packet after exercise, your body needs the nourishment to recover. You are relatively close to your goal weight so your losses may be slower than someone starting out much heavier but you can still get great results on IP. Splitting your real protein between lunch and dinner is absolutely fine.

Quote: I am new to Ideal Protein plans. I need all the support I can get.
    Welcome Shoegirl - you'll find lots of support here!

Quote: Hello to everyone... I am starting the ideal protein diet in the next week and looking forward to a new healthier me! I hope I have as much success as many of you
    Stick with the program and you'll see great success! Congrats on getting started!
  • Ruth Ann, thank you for telling me about adding a packet after exercise. I think that will make it more manageable for me.

I've had three good days. Today I was more hungry. I hope this hunger passes quickly!
  • Yum!! Alternative packets that I love from...all put out by Protidiet and sold through Nashua Nutrition (quick shipping!)
    Honey Nut Soy Cereal
    Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
    Bacon & Cheese Omelette
    Plain Pancakes (i added vanilla extract, cinnamon and 1 stevia packet to the mix)
    BBQ Protein Crisps (spicey sweet)
    Chipotle Protein Crisps (spicey!)
    White Cheddar Protein Crisps (i use them like croutons)
    Chicken Noodle Soup
    Spaghettini with Rosee sauce (yuck)
    Chili Dinner (yuck)
    Vanilla Pudding & Chocolate Fudge Cake Desert I haven't tried yet but I will post if I like them or not after I eat them
    Healthsmart Caramel Crunch Protein Bars are DA BOMB...mmm mmm mmm! I only eat one occasionally because they are restricted and i don't want to become addicted to the bar.
    Hoped this list helped some newbies with their alternative choices
  • Quote: Ruth Ann, thank you for telling me about adding a packet after exercise. I think that will make it more manageable for me.

I've had three good days. Today I was more hungry. I hope this hunger passes quickly!
    You're welcome! And yep - the hunger the first few days can be miserable, but it does get better. Eat more lettuce, drink more water, drink herbal tea and be nice to yourself. You may want to put off exercising strenuously until your body adapts. Since you aren't using a coach, you might want to look for the IP & exercise thread (I believe there's a link in the first post of the daily chat) for information.
  • I started IP last week after doing Atkins for 4 weeks with very inconsistent results. I've lost about 8 pounds so far and would like to lose another 10. I mostly drink the shakes and drinks, the snacks are very sweet to me and I don't want to get used to wafers and cookies. Looking forward to being part of the group.
  • Thank you Ruth Ann. I will check out the exercise thread
  • Quote: I am starting week 4 and I am down 15 pounds. It has been hard but I have stuck with the plan. I am really craving chocolate and sugar.

I travel a lot so it makes it more difficult. Any advice while traveling?

Anne
    I travel a lot and the key is planning. I am only in week three but have traveled half that time and will be traveling again later this week and will be gone for most of the following three weeks. I bring along everything I need for each day plus one extra packet, just in case. I make sure that my meals out will be someplace that I can order protein and veggies. I try to avoid salads at restaurants because lettuce is a freebie I can have anytime. Hot mint or peppermint tea helps to stave off hunger pangs. I package veggies but have had the misfortune of frigid cold upper Midwest temps and hotels without refrigerators. If you can blend spinach or kale into your chocolate shakes, that is a good way to incorporate veggies. Hope this helps.
  • Good Morning all:
    I am very new to IP. This is only my second week OP. My first WI was a loss of 6 pds and 3 inches.
    But this second week I am fearing only 1 pound loss as per my scale.
    I have stayed religious to the plan, no cheating what so ever since starting. My coach has me on 4 packets a day, is this normal? This includes one restricted item a day.
    My cravings are getting to be less and less, my meals keep me full, I do not have the desire to eat in between meals. I feel I am doing very well, not understanding the slow weight loss compared to others.

I need some ideas to increase weight loss, or will this come in time?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
  • sweetenuf - It looks like we started the same week and have lost the same amount of weight! It nice to see how I compare to someone that is on a similar path. Good luck with your weight loss!

Anne

Quote: Im on week 4 and I've lost 15lbs.

Looks like we are all on the right track