Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

You're on Page 32 of 34
Go to
  • I read an article by a dog trainer who trains dogs for movies and broadway, he says he gets all his dogs from rescues and trains them himself, My brothers MIL raised dogs Miniature Schnauzers she had many champions, she said pretty much what you said , Dagmar, many show dogs spend their lives in kennels.Not hers , the minute some one came by, not dog shoppers but friends or relatives they wanted to know if she had puppies, she usually had a couple flitters, her dogs were well socialized.
  • The breeder of my oldest boy, Chakotay, has been a little shunned by some breeders because she breeds for health first, temperament second and conformation third.

Most breeders breed for conformation first...
  • I know a lot of Lab breeders. They are responsible and breed for health first and foremost. Confirmation is just a bonus. Temperament is usually not a problem but if they have a litter with temperament problems they won't breed the dogs again.
  • Quote: I know a lot of Lab breeders. They are responsible and breed for health first and foremost. Confirmation is just a bonus. Temperament is usually not a problem but if they have a litter with temperament problems they won't breed the dogs again.
    Great! Nice to hear there are responsible breeders out there. I walked 4 labs who all developed hip problems before age 2 and one had such severe dysplasia that even major surgery didn't help much. All bred for looks.

I am also personally familiar with about 15 golden retrievers who have all died of cancer before the age of 6. No other breed has those kinds of numbers (that I've heard of) and I suspect there is a cancer component now in the golden gene pool. Again breeding for looks, rather than health.

That's why I go for the mutt genetics - a lot of variation pretty much ensures that there are less physical health problems.

I think we pet folks have hijacked the thread again.

Dagmar
  • Sometimes I think you need your own off-leash area! (Joke.)

I am having a break in moving all these logs in rather high winds and rain. I'm glad I've discovered how much I like cocoa, hot water, splash of milk. It's really warming up my feet.
  • Dagmar, just because I know half a dozen or so responsible breeders of Labs, doesn't mean there aren't a host of bad ones. I found a website here in So Cal that advertised champagne Labs, silver Labs, etc. Labs are yellow, black and chocolate. All other colors don't exist. No one should NOT be paying extra for one of these designer colored Labs as there has been some cross breeding going on. This same breeder had to have had 6 litters up for sale. The responsible breeders I know usually have a litter every two or three years and the female usually only has two litters before being retired.
  • Yet another day of food challenges at my school. As if the Valentine's treats and sweets weren't enough, once a month one grade level team provides treats for the staff to celebrate birthdays. Usually it's some breakfast treats or the like. Not fourth grade-- they are over achievers! They sent out a movie yesterday previewing the day-- they are turning our break room into Little Italy. Spaghetti and sauce and who knows what else. Ugh. Maybe I'll eat in the library.
  • Quote: Dagmar, just because I know half a dozen or so responsible breeders of Labs, doesn't mean there aren't a host of bad ones. I found a website here in So Cal that advertised champagne Labs, silver Labs, etc. Labs are yellow, black and chocolate. All other colors don't exist. No one should NOT be paying extra for one of these designer colored Labs as there has been some cross breeding going on. This same breeder had to have had 6 litters up for sale. The responsible breeders I know usually have a litter every two or three years and the female usually only has two litters before being retired.
    Does this bother you as much as it does me? With Boxers it's the "Rare Black Boxer" and now they are advertising "minature Boxers".

Also, I am not a lab person, so this surprised me a little. When I was watching Westminster, I was surprised at the size standard for labs - seems like people - at least around here - are breeding REALLY large Labs....

Is this bad, because I'm up a pound from last Friday, or good, because I'm down from that awful 155 reading midweek?

[Sorry to interrupt dog talk with talk about, well, you know, weight & stuff ;-)]

This is from being strict with myself yesterday despite sequestration due to the exciting weather. We went from heavy snowfall dumping about a foot to sleet, to rain, to a raucous thunderstorm, back to sleet, and then again to heavy snowfall. Which of course made me want to eat. I baked healthy muffins and froze them without eating them, though.
  • Quote: Does this bother you as much as it does me? With Boxers it's the "Rare Black Boxer" and now they are advertising "minature Boxers".

Also, I am not a lab person, so this surprised me a little. When I was watching Westminster, I was surprised at the size standard for labs - seems like people - at least around here - are breeding REALLY large Labs....
    I didn't watch Westminster but a lot of my Lab friends did and they all said the dogs were fat. Well, so are most of the people showing the dogs. And they also commented on the fact that it just looks plain stupid to be running the dogs around the ring dressed in dresses and suits.

I like all dogs except pugs. Their buggy eyes really bother me but I have friends that just adore them. I guess if I were to meet one I might change my mind.

At obedience class there is the cutest Yorkie. Oh, her ears! So adorable!

So my weight is back up this morning. It makes me think the drop I saw yesterday was a mistake on the part of the scale. Still, I've lost nearly 9 pounds so I'm happy. And Bogey and Misty are giving me new reasons to get out and walk (Bogey to get rid of energy, Misty to lose weight).
  • No butter or peanut butter on Friday. Streak is 45.

All the wood has been barrowed along the path to our house so it's no longer blocking anyone in. (It's now blocking the side of our house but that's OK.) I've stacked some of it but decided to stop before I felt I had to. We'll come back to it when the weather is a bit better. My legs were very wet and cold and my hips and back were letting me know about it. This week's been very long and I'm glad to be inside this evening, sitting by the fire, while the wind rages outside again.
  • Quote: I didn't watch Westminster but a lot of my Lab friends did and they all said the dogs were fat.
    My friend has shown Labs most of her life. She would put confirmation titles, agility titles and field titles on her Labs. Once they won their confirmation title, she'd neuter them. She quit confirmation because she realized to compete, she had to put weight on her dog to make him look like the other dogs, then take weight off to compete in the field and agility trials. Since they're sporting dogs, she felt they should be in "sporting" shape all the time. Labs in the show ring remind me of bull dogs, frankly.
  • I got through Valentine's Day and evening with no chocolate or alcohol. DH did offer both but I declined. He understands why and wasn't mad, just disappointed that he didn't get to eat MY box of chocs.

The real Valentine's gift was having the electricians show up at 5 p.m. and do the work we've been waiting 4 months for them to do. All that is left now is the stair carpet install and the "decorating" part of this house is finished. I'm 4 months behind schedule but at least something is going to be FINISHED!!! That will be a big, big morale booster for me.

It's long weekend here and I have to work all weekend . But I'm being compensated by making the same amount of money I would have if the 3 dogs that left were still here.

I am taking next weekend off. Going to go to an art show/sale and a movie and yoga on Sunday. I've been talking about the yoga for months now but haven't managed to get there. I will!

Dagmar
  • Good for you Dagmar!

My weight is down so I am planning on my reward today! I'm exhausted though due to my dumb animals. I was giving Jozi her acid reducer yesterday with peanut butter. She somehow knocked the pill off the spoon and Dewey gobbled it up. She's over 100 pounds and he is 12. I came home later to poop on the floor so I thought it was out of his system. Nope. Woke up at 4:30 to him puking all over my bed. Came downstairs to wash bed linens. Went back upstairs and a cat had puked everywhere. Went downstairs and found poopy footprints so I think Jozi stepped in some outside. Ugh! I deserve a reward! I hope Dewey has it out of his system now. He seems to feel fine but I'll keep a close eye on him.

Dh is off for three plus weeks. First to Vietnam then China. I've got tons to do at work and home so I shouldn't be too lonely. Sometimes on Saturdays I do spin and then bikram, but my back has felt much worse after spin the last two times. So I'm going to try back to back bikram. Hopefully I can handle it! Then I'm off for my reward... Lunch at Nordstrom Cafe, and then to check out lululemon for a possible yoga outfit!
  • New and labeled 'moderately' obese
    Hi All,

So my cardiologist recently put this label on me and told me that I needed to lose some weight. Is this the right forum for me?