Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 180/164/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Merry Christmas!

Coaches:

Thanks to you all for your continued support.

nationalparker: Such a difficult situation, in which everyone is doing their level best, you included. Beneath it all, perhaps your dad is just scared, so maybe you shouldn't take it personally. All things pass, and so will this. May you all be kind to one another, and have peace.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

If is was being really strict with myself I would say my streak is broken but I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt and saying I was OP and taking my streak to 20. So that was the short version.

Long version - I was on "maintenance calories" today as well as yesterday - to enable a Christmas Day breakfast with the kids. I also had a slice of Christmas cake (a present from my Mom) and thought I was on track but didn't enter it all into MFP until late arvo to discover that I had eaten all my calories before dinner. So I had a very light dinner and was 250 calories over for the day. Giving myself the benefit of the doubt because it was miscalculation rather than bad behaviour and because I reacted to it by adjusting not saying "whatever".

valkyrie and gardener joy I love moosewood cookbook too :-)

Maryann I loved your tale of playing Santa. My older daughter is in the same zone as your son I think, but the younger one is a total believer still. Last time they were with me on Xmas morning the little one was only 2 so it felt like her first real Christmas for me. She had drawn a special picture for Santa and was beside herself with excitement when she discovered "he" had "taken it" this morning. It has been such a lovely Christmas celebration - I shall treasure these memories.

On the spending front - did you know that I have set up a thread to talk about money stuff? It is within the Beck forum because I am working through the punk book applying the logic to money stuff. Would you be able to send me details of the blog you were talking about? I have been doing a bit of surfing and haven't found anything that feels "right" in the way that this space does :-) And I think it would be helpful to be hearing about other people's experiences - especially once I get to the end of the honeymoon period.

national Parker my thoughts are with you!

After my girls had gone to their other house this morning it suddenly felt like I was on holidays :-) my partner is heading off for a few days of road trip / camping. It has been a long year for both of us and what he needs to unwind is to hit the road, and what I need is lots of days to potter at home, journal and spring clean! It will be lovely to reunite in a week or so when we are both rejuvenated :-)

been noticing today though that this is the first time I have been on holiday since starting Beck and that means there are a whole bunch of habits to confront. Found myself staring into the fridge today think "what shall I eat" without it being meal time and thought "whoa - what's this about"? Will have to keep my eyes open for the next few days as I learn how to holiday without overeating!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #243  

Oops - forgot to say - team streak total is 96!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Lightbulb Merry Christmas

Coaches

Christmas is finishing up in Australia so is coming your way soon if not already there. Given some fairly tragic and challenging family dynamics I think my food intake did pretty well! I logged all food as scary as that was in MFP and am looking forward to getting totally back on plan tomorrow. I have managed to keep up my steps and kilometres during these holidays and exercise has been morning walks on the beach. Disaster was averted when I stepped onto a rock platform that behaved like black ice or an oil slick. One step and over I went. Apparently a well known hazard in the area and the source of many jokes! But not the source of motivation to put up a warning sign. Luckily I made a fairly soft landing and didn't mess up spinal bone grafts! Anyway all was well and the beach walks lovely.

Nationalparker - Families can be tough and at Christmas they are tougher than usual so I commiserate and feel with you on this one. Take care and it will pass - somehow. Credit for realising the potential impact on your eating behaviour

CeeJay & MikeB - waving - nice to see you pop in
Old 12-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #245  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Christmas Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Merry Christmas one and all!

It's a joy to take my streak to 35, CREDIT moi. The challenges at Whole Foods were easy to ignore since the store was packed with folks shopping with the mania of re-provisioning a ship on a long sailing voyage. Our Christmas dinner with kids and consorts went well. I ignored seconds of the killer-good pork loin stuffed with apricots and prunes and had a second serving of salad instead. Although I had some pear slices for appetizers, by skipping the cheeses that were to go with the pear it was quite OK. DW had cut the cranberry squares into one-bite size so that taking one for dessert still kept the meal to reasonable calories.

My body doesn't remember what exercise means - Ouch. I spent the day wrapping gifts and preparing for the kids. Also did a dance with a competent professional plumber with the heating system so that I now believe that it's likely to continue working. Which is fortunate because the part I had ordered with expensive "Guaranteed Overnight Delivery" is tracked with the message, "Louisville, KY, United States 12/24/2013 8:00 A.M. The package was left in a UPS facility. / Package will be delivered next business day." As the good Dr. Beck would say, Oh Well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Cranberries improve everything - says the guy from the state that supports itself with them.

CeeJay - Thanks for the kind greetings. Hope all is going well in your world.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Sending supportive thoughts for finding your path to deal with the family dynamics. it's impressive that you are sticking to your path through it. Ouch for the fall that could have been serious.

maryann - Love reading that you and your DS keep up the dance so that he doesn't take the risk of losing Santa. A guest's niece is about the same age and doing the same thing. Kudos for "No big deal to wait."

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts to you and your whole family as you help your mom at this time. Ouch for the difficulty your dad is having with the situation. Super Kudos to you for staying centered instead of being sucked down.

ForMyGirls - Absolutely Kudos for, "credit for not indulging in comfort foods to deal with . . .[whatever]." Yay for the joy that kids bring to Christmas. My two adult kids spent some time discussing when the older had told the younger that Santa didn't exist. Turned out that he didn't need to; DD had pretended to be asleep but had watched us bring the packages down from the attic. My education continues per, "until late arvo." Arvo - One of the many words that Australians have cut syllables off and replaced with "-o". This one represents the hours after 12pm, and is used by people, myself included, who can't be bothered saying "-fternoon".

MikeB - And thanks to you for checking in.

Valkyrie1 - Yep, Super Kudos for "for planning my celebration meals." I join the chorus cheering the Moosewood Cookbook.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

Planned Exercise
No matter what form of planned exercise you choose, start out at a reasonable level. It's not realistic to go from doing nothing to exercising 30 minutes a day. You'll just get sore muscles or possibly injure yourself - then you're likely to give up exercising completely.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 109.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-25-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #246  
Green Tomatoes

Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating today!

My 100% OP streak count is 6.

Today's plan has to take into account several hours at the in-laws where I will encounter snacks I don't need and an unknown menu for an awkwardly timed meal. That portion of the plan says: focus on the veggies and my applesauce, tiny servings of everything else, skip anything that isn't special.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +45 1125/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: good for you for keeping Santa alive for your 11-year-old. My brother and I never told our parents when the jig was up for fear the largess would stop. It worked! We still got gifts from Santa the year my mother died, when we were in our 40s!
Love seeing in real time how you went from "overwhelmed" to taking it one day at a time.

nationalparker: so sorry you're dealing with such difficult family dynamics at such a difficult time for your family. It sounds like you're doing the best you can for yourself and everyone, so take heart in that even if the people who are too close can't see it.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #247  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hello all,

I forgot to check in last night, but my recording streak is at 14.

I made some not-good food choices--two extra rolls and 4 pieces of pie. Yes, 4. I didn't want to admit that, but better admitting it than hiding it. I'd planned for two small pieces. Started there and then had 2 more. Credit for acknowledging it and recording it in MFP. For the main meal, I took exactly what I'd intended to and didn't have seconds of any of that.

We're having leftovers today for lunch, so I get to do this exercise again--but this time I'm going to stay in maintenance calorie zone.

No exercise--St Louis is having the coldest Christmas in ages, the TV tells me, and I hate cold weather! Of course, I didn't even check to see if the hotel has an exercise room.

Happy Christmas to everyone who is celebrating it today.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #248  

Morning coaches,

Just a quick morning post to celebrate having lost weight in the Christmas week!!!! This morning's weigh in reports down .6kg for the week. Hooray.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Merry Xmas, Coaches!

Xmas Eve at Mom was OP. Good Morning. DS has puttered all morning with his Xmas gifts and shows no sign of slowing down. He says Santa knew just what to give him to make it a great day. DS and I have spent the time entering the 21st century Bluetooth world. It was a Bose Xmas.

Breakfast and Lunch were combined. Credit for a smoothie and my one special meal for the day. The evening will be tricky. I have promised son his favorite Mac and Cheese which I never make because it is a rabbit hole food for me. The plan is to have a planned smoothie for dinner plus one cup of the casserole - measured. If I start picking at it in the fridge, the leftovers are going in the trash with dish soap on top. I just worked that through typing this. This is why I love the blog. It forces me to think through the day.

Credit for a planned walk.

nationalparker: I would have done the exact same thing if I had found the box of flowers. Grief makes people irrational.

ForMyGirls: Losing weight at Xmas is huge!! Terrific.
Money Blog http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...843265&page=14

gardenerjoy: Thanks for the reminder "Skip anything that isn't special."

Last edited by maryann; 12-25-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #250  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hope it was a good christmas for all! A scary morning here. Thought we lost my mom. She started trembling, then breathing strange, eyes rolled up, and went still and unresponsive. Thankfully, my sister in law, who is a nurse, was here and she immediately took control and everything was resolved. Very unnerving. She's not eating and took meds on empty stomach, diabetes issues compounded it all. Took an hour but then things were regulated.

Christmas ended up well, but we certainly were nervous. I just struggle here with my sister, who us very dramatic. She helps the folks a lot, but has to point out everything she does to everyone, which drives me bonkers. I let it bug me. Every time! Argh.

thank you to everyone for the positive thoughts and encouragement. It us so appreciated. Food good for a holiday, shockingly ok. Ha. Sorry for brevity...on tablet and not a great typist on this.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #251  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was a travel day--and we had breakfast/lunch out instead of Christmas meal leftovers, which made it much easier to stay OP. It is also day 15 of recording everything, so my streak continues.

We have almost no food in the house and it's a bite late tonight for me to be planning grocery shopping (we just got home a little bit ago). Breakfast and lunch are planned, though--after I finish this, I'll go to the freezer--there has to be something I can make for tomorrow--and just stop and get produce on the way home from work.

ForMyGirls: Congrats for having lost weight in Christmas week! I'm glad you had a great Christmas eve and morning with the girls!

maryann: Nothing like a techno-geek holiday! Definite credit having just one special meal. Here's hoping you can enjoy just one serving of your Mac and Cheese casserole.

nationalparker: My heart aches for you--I hope your mother improves--and your sister calms down. Big hugs for handling it all.

gardenerjoy: I hope the veggies and applesauce stayed compelling! Big credit for exercise during this busy time of year!

BillBE: Credit (and amazement) that you restrained from seconds on the stuffed pork loin!

seadwaters: Credit for tracking (I'll look in on your diary)--and big credit for keeping up on your steps. I cringed at your fall--back surgery recovery is no fun!

MikeB: I hope all is well.

CeeJay: I hope it was a great holiday for you!

Valkyrie1 Credit for planning for your celebration meals--it seems as if they're one after another this time of year.

systemsaddict: I hope your holiday went well!

Time to plan tomorrow and then go to bed. I'm not looking forward to working tomorrow--but at least it's likely to be quiet and I'll be able to be productive.

Take care, all.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #252  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Stopping by.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks to this thread and the good folks here for helping me clarify things.

I know I'm not a frequent flier here, but, to National Parker and the current situation.

I have in the past, and currently have a lot of older relatives, that have been through a lot.

Most likely, your father is not angry, he is terrified! He is scared out of his mind, what is he going to do when your mother is gone.

Being from the "old School" breaking down, and being scared, and admitting it is not in his culture. So, he expresses in anger, not because he is angry, but given his back ground, age, etc. breaking down, and admitting he is scared and terrified out of his mind, is not going to happen. So, he does the best next thing he can think of, he gets mad.

I get that his attitude is nasty, but I can understand why he is doing what he is doing.

It may be time to look towards finding experts in the field of hospice, to help all of you.

They were a God send for our family.

Ok, all of that aside.

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!

Took a 4 mile walk today!

We did All the holiday stuff on Sunday. Fun, fun fun.

The Dh and I just hung out today, never got out of the jammies, had lean healthy, yummy foods!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #253  

Thanks for your welcomes lovely people! Sorry for delayed reply, somehow yesterday got a bit busy around here

Just a bit of background to introduce myself: I found the Beck book through an Amazon recommendation on my Kindle, and I am hoping it is what I need. Then Google led me here.

I have always had a chequered relationship with food, but successfully lost weight following a controlled-carb eating program in my 20s and maintained happily for 7 years. Then I had kids and life and food got derailed completely!

They are now 5 and 7 and I have had many attempts to get back onto an eating plan which works for me, which I know involves controlling carbs. Several attempts at getting back on one or other of the plans which work for me have been scuppered by turning to carbs to cope with the stresses of family life (plus full-time work) at some point.

I use food as my principal source of comfort and I know that I need to address that. CBT helped me a lot with mild post-natal depression a few years back, so I am hoping that this will also be the key I am looking for to get my eating back on track.

I need this to have energy, especially in the evenings when I crash completely, and to keep my mood stable. Weight loss would be a nice (and very necessary) bonus but the main motivator for me is feeling good. I'm still in the first 2 weeks of the program and working on eating sitting down, I hadn't realised how much standing-up eating I do automatically.

That'll do for now! Best wishes to all, especially nationalparker at such a difficult time.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #254  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Boxing Day (Gifts to your serfs)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – An on-plan Christmas day, CREDIT moi. I planned for our 'breakfast' that was cooked up after opening gifts. It happened about noon, so making it my lunch worked out. I spent the day not nibbling on the cranberry squares visible in the kitchen. By not having seconds on the stuffed pork roast at our big meal on Christmas Eve, some was available to eat as leftovers last night. Warmed up pork roast is heavenly. Streak goes to 36.

Exercise was opening presents all morning. Ouch for that. But we laughed and had such a good time. We open them one at a time so that everybody hears the hint written on the card and makes their own comments.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Just love the cogent, "skip anything that isn't special."

maryann - An OP Christmas Even away from home is Kudos worthy. Mac and cheese is a challenge for me also. I used to have seconds and even thirds. DW doesn't make it much anymore since it takes us so long to eat the whole thing. Neat that DS got what he wanted. I heard a Bose sound bar at Best Buy - awesome!

nationalparker – Continuing to think of you and your family. Kudos for keeping sane while old sibling stuff is tweaked by your sister.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Kudos for acknowledging and moving on. Glad you made it home from frigid St. Louis.

ForMyGirls - Losing during Christmas is just the best.

janelle (shcirerf) - LOL at "never got out of the jammies" - now that's the good life. Kudos for "lean healthy, yummy foods" as well as that 4 mile walk.

systemsaddict - Recognize the "chequered relationship with food" bit. Kudos for recognizing the amount of eating while standing up.

Readers -
Quote:

Planned Exercise
If you've been relatively sedentary, start with walking five minutes every day until it feel relatively easy. Then gradually add a minute at a time to your walk. Remind yourself that even five minute is better than zero minutes.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #255  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Boxing Day (Gifts to your serfs)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – An on-plan Christmas day, CREDIT moi. I planned for our 'breakfast' that was cooked up after opening gifts. It happened about noon, so making it my lunch worked out. I spent the day not nibbling on the cranberry squares visible in the kitchen. By not having seconds on the stuffed pork roast at our big meal on Christmas Eve, some was available to eat as leftovers last night. Warmed up pork roast is heavenly. Streak goes to 36.

Exercise was opening presents all morning. Ouch for that. But we laughed and had such a good time. We open them one at a time so that everybody hears the hint written on the card and makes their own comments.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Just love the cogent, "skip anything that isn't special."

maryann - An OP Christmas Even away from home is Kudos worthy. Mac and cheese is a challenge for me also. I used to have seconds and even thirds. DW doesn't make it much anymore since it takes us so long to eat the whole thing. Neat that DS got what he wanted. I heard a Bose sound bar at Best Buy - awesome!

nationalparker – Continuing to think of you and your family. Kudos for keeping sane while old sibling stuff is tweaked by your sister.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yep, Kudos for acknowledging and moving on. Glad you made it home from frigid St. Louis.

ForMyGirls - Losing during Christmas is just the best.

janelle (shcirerf) - LOL at "never got out of the jammies" - now that's the good life. Kudos for "lean healthy, yummy foods" as well as that 4 mile walk.

systemsaddict - Recognize the "chequered relationship with food" bit. Kudos for recognizing the amount of eating while standing up.

Readers -
Quote:

Planned Exercise
If you've been relatively sedentary, start with walking five minutes every day until it feel relatively easy. Then gradually add a minute at a time to your walk. Remind yourself that even five minute is better than zero minutes.

Closed Thread