Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

You're on Page 20 of 34
Go to
  • Yogini99 I fasted 3 times this week as well, and like you I don't think I will do it again. I lost 5.2 pounds, but the 3rd day was too much; I felt weak. Well I am just learning what works and what doesn't. 5:2 seems to be doable for me; 4:3 not. I will also need to fast on the days when I don't have a big gym day planned. -- I did go at night after dinner and did my weights for 45 min and powerwalked on treadmill for an hour, but I felt weak afterwards. I had already walked at a brisk pace one earlier on the day also.

So 5:2 it is for me. I will be mindful about my calories as well. I won't go above 1500, ideally I would like to stay as close to 1200-1300 on non fast days, with one splurge day (2000-2200 cals).
  • Sum-I agree If I don't watch my calories on non fast days, I eat too much!
    But I think on the weekends, I am not going to count calories (but won't go crazy either!)
  • I agree as well. Although, Sum, I think a lot of it might have to do with how low you keep your calories on your non-fast days. That will definitely make it more difficult to do 3 fast days in a week. But holy cow, 5+ pounds?!

I'm still really liking my new schedule of no breakfast during the week. Originally I planned that on Fridays I would fast until dinner, but I packed a lunch today just in case I change my mind. My weight loss has definitely increased this week (2 pounds as opposed to less than a pound normally), so I'm looking forward to seeing if I keep this up next week. Yesterday (non-fast day), I had lunch, a snack, a normal dinner and a beer, and still lost. Unusual for me to lose on a non-fast day, so yay!
  • That's a good point NoName. Probably should up the calories a bit if doing fasting 3X/wk.
    Looking forward to the weekend- and eating something delicious!
  • Today is my SPURGE DAY! I am so excited. I started my day off with a 500 calorie smoothie then later on hubby and I will have a date night and will go for some sushi and Coldstone ice cream

Interesting to see how body will react and how much water weight I will gain...
  • Hi all. Just thought I'd check in with my fellow fasters. Hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend.

I had a great weekend, weight loss wise. I lost 2 lbs. and it appears to be sticking! The best part was I ate exactly what I wanted all weekend and still lost. I love the fast 5 life.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Sum38 I hope you enjoyed your splurge!

wvuchick Wow, 2 pounds! Go you!

Weekends for me are typically whatever I want. We usually splurge a bit and I drink a fair amount. I didn't drink much at all this weekend, but my eating was so off...we ate a lot of packaged foods because we were camping and couldn't bring a cooler, plus we had to fit everything into a bear can. I really missed eating vegetables :/ Can't wait to have my salad for dinner tonight. The scale is up, but I'm guessing a lot of that is water weight - there had to be a TON of sodium in the "food" I ate. I should be back to normal after today's fast and hopefully down again by the weekend.
  • Hi Everyone!
    Hope you guys had a great long weekend!
    I did
    I ate out a lot, but overall good food aside from frozen yogurt two or three times
    However, eating at restaurants always seems to take it's toll, and no exercise except shopping! Back on the plan today. Didn't fast yesterday, so I will fast today
  • Way to go WVUchick!!
  • Yogini99 Oh yum, frozen yogurt Glad to hear you're back on plan after a yummy weekend. Always feels good!

I'm definitely feeling much better after my long weekend of crap processed food. Second week of no breakfast during the week combined with 5:2, and feeling good. Would be awesome to see another 2 pound loss, but I won't be greedy...even 1 pound would be fantastic!

Just gotta get back to the gym...
  • Thanks ladies. I was down .4 lbs this morning.

Glad to hear everyones back in their plans after the long weekend. I actually didn't go off plan stuck to my window and calorie goal, but... it is kind of nice to be back into my daily routine. Makes it some much easier to fast.

Have a great Wednesday all!
  • Hi all! I'm new to this forum, but not new to IF. I tried a few methods almost 2 years ago, with success, but then we decided to try to get pg again, so I stopped. No success on the getting pg thing, but I did manage to gain back the weight I'd lost and more! So after deciding that our family is complete, I feel free to use IF again to get these pounds OFF!! I haven't been this heavy while not pg, and I'm determined to get back down to my previous weight. I haven't figured out how to get a weight tracker on here, but I'm currently 159, and my goal weight for now is to get into the 130s.

I'm going to give Fast 5 a try--did it yesterday and it was very easy, but I have been skipping breakfast for several months, so that part is easy. I do have coffee in the morning, but have cut way back on milk and sugar, and the accompanying CHOCOLATE that I always had with my coffee. I'm trying to keep my coffee to under 50 calories. I also had green tea and plenty of water yesterday, and when I did eat a small smoothie, boiled egg, and spoon of almond butter at 4:30pm, I was full!! A normal dinner last night and glass of wine, and I was ready to stop at 10:30pm. So, the first day was easy, we'll see how today goes. I did weigh a lb more today, though, so hopefully water weight??

Also, I counted calories when I did IF before, but I'm trying to avoid that this time. I find it makes me obsess too much! So I'm hoping the Fast 5 method will prevent me from really eating too much in my window. I might take a day off during the weekend, or whenever something comes up (like family gatherings) early in the day. That's one great thing about IF--it's flexible!
  • lightenup2014 - you will get a tracker after you've been here a bit and have posted a bit. They don't allow some things to keep spammers away.
  • I have not been fasting all week, something has come up each day and I have yielded into temptations....no more though. Today I am fasting!! It will be 6:1 for me, but better than nothing, right? We need to be forgiving to self!

Next week I will be back to my Sunday and Wednesday fasting days.

My exercise has been off too. I injured my popliteus muscle (back of the knee), and I really needed to rest it. I tried doing aerobics and it was sheer torture. Walking is okay, not great; so I have totally taken off 3 days now from exercise and it is starting to feel better. -- Injuries suck, though One gets into a great exercise groove and the body has other ideas.... Well I am "old", I need to remember that this is a 40+ year old body I am dealing with, not the 20 something body I think it is -- I was a professional ballerina during my early years and those old injuries are starting to rear their ugly heads now. -- I need to learn to be kind to my body, I have abused it so much with exercise and then food. So she needs some serious love
  • My family messes up my IF ritual when they are around more. I do REALLY well with my morning half caff coffee with half and half and that's it. I can sometimes make it all the way to dinner time (6:30), but sometimes need a small lunch/snack at 3:30 or so to get me through. BUT... when my husband is home (monday was a holiday, Tuesday he works from home, yesterday was my son's HS graduation), I eat more during the day because he eats more.

So... I have the coffee with half and half. Then I eat a bit of lunch with him. THen in the afternoon I have an iced coffee with him. It doesn't add up to TONS of calories, but it does take me to about 500-600 for the day which means I can't have a huge dinner and I've been REALLLLLLLY enjoying huge dinners. It is totally worth saving calories all day to feel like I'm eating something substantial in the evening. Yum!

Yesterday it took EVERYTHING in my power not to eat another burger for dinner as I had already eaten the same equivalent of calories earlier in the day. HONESTLY, I felt just as hungry in the evening if I HAD fasted, but I hadn't!