300+ Chat Thread: November, 2013

You're on Page 12 of 14
Go to
  • Fi Yes it does count for something.
    Sorry you are down.

I had a good dinner out and watched my show The Walking Dead. I began my online Christmas shopping. Now I am tired and off to bed.
  • Betsy, my 8 year old son is an absolute darling...very funny and loving and determined to make Junior Bake Off when he is old enough! I am glad in a way that we have had this adjustment year before my daughter heads off for University. It has made it much easier for my little boy as he adores his sister and would have found a sudden split hard.
    Well so far so good today. I walked our (almost) 5 month old pup today. She is a golden retriever/black cocker spaniel cross and is an absolute beauty, if a bit of a loony. I lost my beloved golden retriever 4 months ago and was totally bereft until Molly came along and has for the most part filled the retriever sized gap that my old friend left. We walked for only half an hour or so and at no great pace but it is a beautiful autumnal day and I so enjoyed being out with my canine friend.
    Have a lovely day ladies.
  • Fi -- Sorry you're so down, but you do deserve credit for staying on plan and doing exercises. It's so much harder to do when we don't feel right.

Mountain Walker -- Your 8 year old sounds like my 6 year old grand nephew -- just lights up my world. And I, too, have a puppy -- Toby is a little over 4 months old. He's a Golden Retriever/Poodle mix. My Golden died last year around Halloween from cancer, and I waited almost a year before deciding that I had one more dog left in me. He's been a delight......although I'll be happy when he understands the concept of letting me know when he needs to go out!

Had a really bad night last night with lower intestinal issues. The only positive thing is that I lost 4 pounds yesterday, although that will likely come back once I start feeling better. I had a list of things to get done today, but I don't think they're going to happen -- may just take a shower and go back to bed!
  • Good Morning! What an off plan weekend!
    Andrea, I am happy you had a nice evening out. I am a kitty momma also for one big fat boy. I had to google walking dead, no thanks I am afraid of the dark.
    Mountain walker, I am jealous of your Rayburn. We have a wood stove to help heat the house and I love it. Your son sounds like a good little helper. I think a gradual split is a good way to look at it. Peanut takes it hard when her sister goes to camp. She spends a lot of time sitting on her bed waiting for her return.
    Betsy, thanks for sharing about your 30 pounds in one month. I need to be reminded how rapidly the weight can go back on. I don't know if I can go 30 days without the scale but I am going to try. I have to shake things up because I'm gaining and not losing. Hope you are feeling better.
    Fi, sending you a hug. Betsy is right, credit for showing up and staying on plan!
    I started this post 6 hours ago and now first finishing it. My day did not go as planned BUT so far I am on plan for the first time in way too long!
    How is everyone doing?
  • Another day of depression. Another day of staying on Atkins. Did my leg exercises tonight, but they sure were hard to do: I could barely lift my leg at all by the end. The will was there, but something about being down in the dumps sure does make it hard to move. Sorry I don't have more to say.
  • Thanks for the welcome everyone! I forgot to subscribe to the thread to come back oops!! Ill try to come back to personals a little later.

A few of you wanted my story; I'll try to make this as short as possible.

I have been overweight my whole life, I havent seen a number under 200 since I was 9 years old and I'm 24 now. I've had migranes since I was 6 and at 9 years old I was 90 lbs. The next time I remember being on a scale, I was 13 and about 270 lbs. I had gained almost 200 lbs in4 years and everyone around me was overweight so I thought it was normal. At 16 I convinced my mother I was old enough to go into my PEDIATRICIANS (she refused to get me an "adult" doctor) office alone; at this time I learned this is NOT normal and in fact very dangerous. I didnt think much of it because my family were all overweight so it couldnt be THAT bad. At 17 I went in because I still had never had a normal cycle even though I had gone through puberty at 13 so she suggested I had pcos, put me on birth control and ran some tests. I bled for a MONTH straight and so heavily I could not sleep through the night or go to school because I was bleeding so heavily. She took me off birth control and the results came back, just as she suspected I had pcos; she sent me to an endo for confirmation and he told me eat less move more it will get better. Problem? I didnt eat much as it was not since my mother started respecting my dietary preferances and stopped pushing two big macs and a large fry on me in one meal anyway. I didnt lose and I moved out on my own the problem was that as a broke college student I was eating ramen noodles most meals so even though I was getting about 1200 cals a day, I was gaining. In 2010 I was 320 lbs and 20years old. I went down to see my sisters and ate what they ate and because their diet was more veggies and protein I dropped 15 lbs in 6 weeks without trying. I gained 10 of that back before going and helping a friend of mine for a month after she had her baby; again without trying I lost 10 lbs. Indecided that this time I was going to keep it up and not let my mother and sisters sabatogue me when I got home. For the next 9 mos I managed to drop about 60 lbs and got to 245 before returning to school. I teetered between 245 and 255 for another 5 mos before getting to 237. Unfortunately I lost my footing when my boyfriend and I moved in together and ended up hovering around 245 until september 2012 when I saw a nutritionist and tried her "recognize hunger" approach and ballooned up to 285. She didnt care she kept saying "stick with it you will gain some but in the long term you will lose so dont worry" I stopped seeing her but the damage was done I had all the cravings and binging that was triggered by her approach; what she wasnt understanding was that my body and brsin dudnt work like "normal peoples" not just because of my hormones but also because of my mind and the issues I grew up with. Between september and december I gained another 20 lbs by binging which is what got me to the aforementioned 285 lbs. My friend was getting married in feb and asked me to be her MOH and I didnt want to wear the size 32 BM dress id needed 2 years earlier so with the help of the appetite suppression caused by my adhd pills I managed to get to 267 lbs by feb 2ns and lost it again. The weight was still off for her wedding on the 9th but between house hunting and a car accident in may I managed to gain even more and actually see 300 on the scale once more. Most of it was water but it scared me. I was mostly stuck because of back pain due to the accident this past may but I managed to get to 285 and gave been hovering between 290 and 282 for the last 5 mos. It was just this last month I once again got my rear in gear and got back down to 276. My goal for now is to get to my all time low weight of 237 and then into wonderland. My saving grace is calorie restriction in combination with atkins and that is the ONLY way I have been able to lose weight. Right now because my pcos and my stable "high" weight I am facing high BP and infertility. Another bombshell was dropped at my doctors appts this month...that being that if I hadnt been fed mcdonalds and mac n cheese day in n day out as a kid I might not not only be overweight but I probably wouldnt gave had my pcos genes (we know its on my dads side of the family) or my migranes "turned on" . Long I know but thats my whole story. You CAN get out of the 300's and you CAN maintain it..what I have now that I didnt have at 237 was a therapist. At 237 I freaked out because I "didnt know how to be thin" .
  • Sandruca- I was the same way too..it wasnt the AMOUNT of food in my later teen years that kept me fat it was the TYPE

Working; I have pcos too my cyster and if you are still on that whoosh SHAREEE I need it this week!!

Plucky- quinoa is yuuummm...I use it instead of rice in EVERYTHING.

Mountain I know what its like having mental and physical illness hold youback..I quite often am physically sick from pcos' s hormone imbalance.

Ubee- I love mfp..I use it every day!

Betsy- I get those stabilization days too! Thurs is usually my lowest then my weight goes up a touch untill tues or wed.

Jane-icky bout the hot water n sorry bout being sick; im right there with ya!!

Fi- I hear you on those depressive spells...those are the worst!!! Gl getting through it!! Always here to offer support!!

Betsy- id be happy to let you come shampoo my rugs too!!! LOLOL

On a side note...I feel like the odd one out in that I dont use a computer; I use a tablet...nor do I drink coffee!!! Lololol
  • sms dreamer, I am not sure if I speak for the other ladies but I think computer vs tablet is something of an age thing! Your story is heartbreakingly familiar but here you will get great support for bad days and celebrations on your better days!
    My childhood was totally different. I had a Mum who thought she was doing me a favour by putting me on a very strict low cal diet at 13 as I was undoubtedly maybe a stone overweight for my height. Coupled with having to give up my beloved dancing as we didn't have a car to get to class, that started my diet/binge rollercoaster of a life. So what did I do as soon as I got a Saturday job and had a few pounds to spend? Buy rubbish to eat in secret. I never quite got over the fact that my Mum was disappointed in me because of my weight and even as an adult would not eat anything other than "diet" food in front of her. I am sure she did her best as a Mum but she stayed a firm size 12 her whole life so I am not sure she really ever understood. My daughter has a good attitude to food and enjoys exercise but my son has a problem with his knees and feet so exercise has never been something he has enjoyed and he tends to be very food orientated. We have now found a sport he can do and (more importantly) enjoys which is Water Polo and he is a good swimmer. It's one of the reasons I am teaching him to cook, I know it sounds a bit strange but if her understands food and how to cook and eat healthily that may help him later in life.
    I am hoping to walk the pup again today, but I overdid it yesterday and ached like mad across my side where the op was. Am managing to stay more or less on plan with food so am pleased so far!
    Have a good day xx
  • smsdreamer— Thank you ever so much for the detailed introduction: I really appreciate getting to know you! I'm 58, and I'm a tablet user, too. I use a laptop to upload my collages, but I haven't used a computer for my day-in, day-out activities online, and many offline, since April 14, 2011, when my iPad2 arrived in the mail. It was such a momentous day, because I love my iPad SO much, I will never forget that date. I even make paintings on my iPad, and I've written 53K words so far of an autobiographical novel on it, tapping out the letters with a stylus.

So if y'all want to imagine me with my coffee cup, imagine that I am curled up at the end of a green futon couch, looking out the window at the huge silver maple in our front yard. My iPad is held in my left hand and parked comfortably against my chest, and my right hand is busily moving with a chunky black rubber stylus. The coffee cup sits at my left, on a narrow shelf between me and the window. =smile=

I feel somewhat more chipper this morning. I'm hoping for a good day, depression-wise. =crosses fingers= I hope y'all are having a great day, too!
  • Good morning all. Still feeling under the weather here, but need to get the house cleaned up today as I start the real prep for Thanksgiving. Just sick enough that I don't want anything to eat.......that's not all bad!

Ubee -- We've all had those off plan weekends. Just hop back on the wagon.

Fi -- I was sorry to read that you were still struggling with the depression, but glad to read subsequent post that you were doing better. Loved your description of your tablet habit.

SMSDreamer -- thanks for the history -- helps to know the person better and to understand where they're coming from. A lot of similarities in our stories.

MountainWalker -- Hope you're able to take your pup on a walk, but definitely don't overdo. I think teaching your son to cook and learn about nutrition this way is absolutely the best thing for him. Plus it gives the two of you some great time together. And he'll definitely get a workout doing water polo!

Got a kick out of the table/PC discussion. I still do anything that requires a lot of keying at the computer. I'm a touch typist (keyboarder?) and type between 90-120 WPM, so using a tablet for any longer communication pretty much drives me nuts. But, I have a tablet that I take with me and a smart phone and I often wonder when our worlds got to the point of needing to be in constant and instant connection. I like technology, but view it much as I do my dieting -- something that is fine in moderation.

No gym this week as evidently this stomach stuff is going around town, and I don't want to pass this on to anyone else. I figure one more day of this and I should be back to normal. Hope everyone has a good day.
  • From the Department of For-What-It's-Worth:
    I put a link to my collage & other art at the bottom of my sig, in case anyone's interested in what I do with my time, now that I'm retired. Also linked to my art website is some biographical info, and there's a photo—rather an old one! =laugh=
  • Good morning!
    SMS, thanks for your info. I really feel that for some people our bodies for known (PCOS) or not yet discovered reasons really attributes so much to our weight. To get to be over 300 pounds I think there is more going on. There is a doc (Dr. Kadile) that claims it is not your fault you are fat. He only takes on people who have over 100 pounds to lose and have difficult health issues. From what I have seen he treats the problems and then the symptoms (obesity) go away, with proper nutrition. If I had the money I would jump into his arms!
    Mountain, computer/tablet are one in the same at our house. Parenting can be so hard at times. How do we help an overweight/obese child? Any suggestions anyone?!!! I think it is so important to teach our children how food gets put on your plate. From seed to the compost bin. Great work.
    Fi, I am glad to hear you are feeling more chipper.
    Betsy, hope you are feeling well. The holidays are so important to you I want you to enjoy them to the fullest.
    I have informed everyone but pickiest eater and carb queen that turkey day is going to be healthy. They are all on board and just want to be together anyhow. The other two I will ambush that day.
    Day one of not weighing went well. I think Betsy scared the **** out of me by reminding me we can gain 30 pounds in one month. Also I am doing this for our health and the scale made it about numbers not food choices. Am I scared to go a month without weighing? YES!
    How is everyone doing?
  • Fi, thanks for the link. I am speechless. Your Rainbow of Colors looks exactly like what our peanut draws! Just wanted to share and say Thank You!
  • Mountain-the diet food thing is jow i have to be afound some pf my family too especially the ones who openly criticised my weight when i was younger which in hindsight is probably why i'm always worried about what and how much i eat around others. As far as the tablet; i have it because i can get my school books for virtually nothing in electronic form which helps A LOT since it costs me roughly $300 a term just to park at school for classes. And you are right teaching your son to cook and cook healthily will go a LONG way later. My boyfriend is 35, cant cook and has ZERO clue about nutrition. I have to ask him if he REALLY wants to make that nutritional choice quite often because he wants to lose the weight he's gained since getting out of the army.

Fiona- thats amazing!! I wish i had the patience to do that! I always write my papers, etc on my boyfriends desktop. I just cant do it on the tablet (i'm on my phone now). I'm also left handed though so i cant see what ive written till im done as my hand covers it. I'm glad you are feeling at least a little better as well. I will check your art out after my class when im home .

Betsy- i wonder that too. I know for one as a woman alone in the city at night for classes i feel uneasy without my phone; granted im too fat for someone to try to abduct..it still makes me uneasy!

Ubee- pcos does cause a ton of things. I can indirectly relate all my problems/issues to pcos through hormones. Unfortunately insurance companies wont cover treatments for pcos because it is considered a dermitologicol/ reproductive disorder. Most doctors DO get around this though by listing the symptoms as diagnosis instead of pcos.

As for me i'm down to 273 this morning but my weigh in isnt till tomorrow so maybe ill get lucky and get to 272 LOL i can dream can't i??? Anyway ich habe deutsche klasse heute. Schuss!!
  • I sometimes forget we are efriends and everyone has not been to my house.
    Peanut is our young adult with profound autism. She always draws pictures in the shape of Fi's black paper she cut out. I was so excited to see this since I had never been exposed to it. It is the one with a bunch of kayaks with black cut outs and under it says" would hans arp say yes?"
    http://www.ipernity.com/doc/fi_webst...n/album/352367
    We always wondered about her drawings...
    Thanks Fi!
    Good job on the loss SMS!