Thinking about starting yoga---very very beginner

• Hello,

I find it so hard to believe that yoga is a good form of exercise because it seems so slow. BUT, of all the people that do yoga I can't deny that they are in great shape. So, there has to be something I'm missing from what I think yoga is. I figure I might has well try it. My flexible is nonexistent and I can't kneel on the ground because of a knee issue. Does anyone know of a dvd that can work for me?
  • Yoga is a great workout that promotes full range of motion, which in turn has many health benefits.
    Yoga For Beginners looks like a good one.
  • Lilias (you can google her with "yoga") is kind of a yoga guru. She did yoga programs back in the 70's and now that she is older herself she has some great DVDs for seniors and/or beginners that are gentle but effective.
  • Exercise doesn't have to be fast in order to be exercise. Ever tried planks? There's nothing slower than just holding a position but boy does it engage your abs!! Yoga can be very difficult to do and requires a ton of strength. If you are of the mindset that exercise needs to make you huff and puff then you're not exploring some very important forms of strength training. I don't do much yoga, I prefer tai chi and stretching but all these forms of non-sweaty excersise really help me in my flexibility which keeps my joints strong and aleviates a lot of pain.
  • You can also check out youtube for sun salutations using a chair. There's lots of stuff on youtube to check out, too.

Yoga is an excellent addition to your healthy habits. It builds strength - mental and physical, and has loads of other benefits.

enjoy
  • I did Namaste Yoga on the fitness channel sporadically at my highest weight, and when I decided to work on fitness almost 2 years ago, I bought the whole season on DVD from Amazon. I found them challenging but doable at the beginning - now that I go to yoga class a couple tomes a week, I find them more relaxing. They were 1/2 hour tv shows, so each workout is only about 22 minutes, and I felt like they explained the poses well.

As for your knee, I've had ACL replacement, and kneeling hurts for me. For kneeling poses I use a small towel or roll up the edge of my mat a few times for extra padding. The yoga studio I go to even encourages it for knee comfort.

Good luck - I hope you love it like I do!
  • Thanks everyone! That chair yoga sounds perfect. I'll check out youtube.
  • Quote: Thanks everyone! That chair yoga sounds perfect. I'll check out youtube.
    Do you have on demand channels? There's an exercise demand channel that has some easy yoga stuff.
  • on youtube look up Arthur Boorman.
  • Personally, I would take a beginners class, I didn't even realize I was doing positions wrong until I took an instructor told me.

3 or 4 classes would be enough, once you get the moves down a video would suffice so that you don't have shell out money.
  • On youtube, look up Dr Melissa West, Namaste Yoga series. It is not the same as the tv show. It is a podcast of restorative yoga with about 200 episodes great for beginners.
  • Also, Ekart yoga on YouTube. Basically, just strat checking out different stuff. Don't be afraid to get started. Just remember that it should NOT hurt. You can have a very simple practice & get great results on lots of levels.