Question About Washing Gym Clothes

• So, I'm having a bit of an issue... I work up a sweat when I go to the gym. I recently noticed that my gym clothes still smells like BO after being scrubbed and washed twice. Does anyone have any tips for removing this smell?

I was thinking maybe vinegar would help... But I'm not sure.
  • This may be something you already do, but I wash my gym clothes in hot water (also any colored or white intimate clothing, socks, pajamas, sheets, and towels).

I've never had a problem with colors bleeding in the past 15 years of me doing it.
  • What material are your clothes made of? Maybe switching to a different one.
  • Quote: What material are your clothes made of? Maybe switching to a different one.
    The two shirts I'm having problems with are fairly expensive, moisture-wicking shirts. I wondering if the moisture-wicking is what is causing them to hold the smell.
  • My thoughts exactly, have you tried plain cotton?
  • These kinds of fabrics apparently trap bacteria. Try adding baking soda to your laundry load, and that vinegar you mentioned is a good idea as well.

They do make a special detergent specifically for this, you can find it here (granted, it's expensive). You can also look for "anti-microbial" fiber shirts (check google!), which will still give you those moisture-wicking capabilities but shouldn't have the same issue with trapping smells.

Hope this helps!
  • I'm a huge fan of white vinegar. We have pretty hard water - even with a water softener, white vinegar boosts the sudsability of the laundry detergent and lets me get away with washing stuff in cooler water. It also does a very good job of removing odors. I have a front-loading washer and for stuff like technical fabrics, I use the white vinegar in the spot for fabric softener.
  • Oh, those moisture wicking shirts can have a funny smell - even when they haven't been worn yet.
    I'd also try vinegar.
  • *Nod* If they are a polyester blend, polyester traps BO. It used to be called "Poly-Pew" for that reason.

Plain cotton or Merino wool are better choices for workout clothes.
  • I always use vinegar in my rinse water -- just a half a cup or so per load. And, I just purchased Whisk liquid detergent to make a spot remover recipe I found on Pinterest. You're probably too young to remember the old "Whisk around the collar beats Ring around the collar every time" commercials. Back then, it was marketed as good for removing sweat stains and grime. This new bottle has all kinds of information about how it's good for removing odors from fabrics. They're marketing it to active people, now, for their laundry. You might try it.
  • I only wear moisture-wicking -- I cannot stand to work out in cotton. Vinegar in the fabric softener compartment is my trick, too.
  • I noticed the same thing in my wicking workout clothes. What I found is a lavender scented natural detergent pod - the brand is Grab Green - http://www.drugstore.com/grabgreen-3...0?catid=184417

Works great for me, even in cold water. I have fairly hard water, too.
  • I tried using baking soda in the wash first. I pre-soaked the clothes for about 15 minutes in the baking soda water, then washed them regularly. It did remove the smell. I'm going to try vinegar next time.

I like moisture wicking shirts. I naturally sweat a lot and cotton just feels gross to me.
  • Hi Psychic,

I read your post right before I read this one. Could be useful information for us all.

http://www.saltyrunning.com/2013/10/...nning-clothes/