Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/222/165

Height: 5'3"

Default Help! Need motivation :-(

For starters, hi!!

My problem is no motivation :-(

As a child, I was always active. I played softball as a catcher for 14 years. And the screwed up knees to prove it lol. My current apartment has a small gym. Which I've used a couple times. Because of my knees I can't run on the treadmill because of the impact. Even though I just walk fast, I still end up on the couch with a bag of pees on my knee(s). And they're painful for a few days.

I've gone to the doctors. I have an MRI. I've had physical therapy. And my left knee (the biggest problem) is still messed up. My orthopedic surgeon said that my sports had nothing to do with my knee problems. That the line drive I took to my knee had no affect on it. And told me I was morbidly obese! I have muscle under that fat haha. Basically my ligaments on the outside of my leg are stronger than the inside and yanked my knee cap about 2-3" out of place. He refused to do surgery and told me I need to weigh 105lbs and gave me a bunch of pain meds. Great doctor, right? Meanwhile, I can barely walk up or down a flight of stairs. And when I do it clicks and grinds so loudly people around me can hear it.

Now that may seem like a big excuse. But I assure you, I want to do this. But I do NOT want to be sidelined on my couch for days after a strenuous work out. I don't have access to a pool that I could do laps in either. Which is what everyone tells me to do. But I can't afford a gym membership/personal trainer. I know eating healthy is more expensive. Which is my biggest problem. Not to mention over eating. Ive always had a healthy appetite, I blame my italian side lol.

What I do know is, I want to do this! And my eating habits need to change first and foremost. But my budget is tight. I love my veggies (raw and cooked), fruits, and chicken. I'm not a huge red meat fan and can't have fish. Other than that, I am open to ANY RECIPES someone may have that could help me start off.

Please, anything will help! I do have a magic bullet too! Any smoothies no containing yogurt are welcome!

Last edited by Xstal; 09-04-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Xstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #2  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Hello

Sorry to hear about your knee problems! I slightly dislocated my right knee when I was in high school and it has been annoying ever since, so I kind of know what you're going through.
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for recipes aside from insisting that you read the food labels when you make choices and weighing food. Calorie counting might be best for you? There is a phone app called My Fitness Pal that you can log your food on and keep track of your weight loss.

For exercise, is there any way you could look online or buy a book for strengthening exercises? I'm not a big fan of treadmills and I've stayed away from them because of the very same problem you are having. Is it safe to walk around your neighbourhood for 30 mins? Or could you slow down your exercise regime until your knees get stronger? Or (lol) would exercising to a work out video be easier? There are some online and links for them are on this forum (under exercising, I think!)

with your journey

Last edited by Rhiko; 09-04-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #3  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I can feel your pain. I have two ruptured discs in my lower back from a work-related injury and am disabled now. I have an electric wheel chair but still walk around as much as I can to keep my muscles from atrophy. I do chair exercises like Sittercise and do pool exercise as well. Before my surgery in May, I was jogging 45 minutes in the water with no pain associated with it. I haven't gotten back in the groove of that yet but that is my next week's mini goal. Look on the recipe thread. There are great recipes for any eating plan you so desire (at least the one's I follow). As far as healthy eating being more expensive, I have to disagree. I buy fruits and veggies that are in season, thus less expensive. I sell fresh veggies at a local farmer's market and they are very reasonably priced. Do you have a farmer's market nearby? As far as chicken goes, I buy the boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale and put extra in my freezer section. They go on sale at least once a month so buy up enough for the month when they are. We also find whole grain bread close to date at the day old bread store and the dollar store. You can do well to eat that as it's healthy and not very expensive. Watch circulars, "shop" online for coupons and you can eat healthy for the same amount as unhealthy food. If you eat out any, I know you can beat those prices. Think about this as well. There is more value to healthy eating as far as your health goes than just price. You will be sick less, and I find I actually eat less because what I eat is much more filling. I look forward to seeing you grow as a healthy eater so keep up posted. OK!
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Xstal! If you like fruits, veggies, and chicken, fantastic! Start there! I know being an athlete that you want to exercise, but until you will not be putting so much pressure on those knees to do so, I would place exercise on the back burner. Just concentrate on your diet right now. You can get back to exercising all in good time. You don't want to do more damage to your knees than there already is. If you feel you must exercise, then take a short walk, an easy walk each day, until you can do more. Back to diet, start planning meals around those healthy foods you like. Quick processed foods are really not cheaper than the good stuff, so spend your money on good food. You do not have to starve yourself. Just plan reasonably portioned meals and snacks around the good foods. Will you be hungry? Perhaps at first if you've been overeating, but that's just going to be a sign that you are on the right track now. You can do this! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote