September Feathers Chat!

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • @olehcat - As many have said, it's all about finding what works for YOU - if staying within a week's worth of calories works, that's awesome! No more of this 'failure' talk, girl - you're still here figuring things out, that makes you a success in my book.

@LisaTcan - Grats on getting into that dress!

@thesame7lbs - Yay on the smaller jeans - little by little, right?

@cacaphony - I did calorie counting for three or four months way back when, to get a strong feel for how many calories are in my regular foods; now I loosely keep track in my head to keep from going too overboard. Again, it's whatever works for you and if calorie counting makes you crazy, that's no good!

@Hoopty - I don't know, your Packers didn't make it an easy win - they never do! Hope you're finding some ways to cope with your situation - the junk is a fleeting comfort, isn't it? Sucks to have a move-out deadline, but maybe that's a good thing - some separation will be a step in the right direction, right? Anyway, you're right that there is no rush and baby steps are the way to go - take care of yourself as best you can.

And thank you for asking about Rosie and me. Rosie is, well, not doing great, but she's still with us for the time being. It's only a matter of time, really, but we'll take whatever we can get. She's been a big personality in our home. As for me, I'm doing all right. Managing to maintain this weight (yay!) despite the occasional indulgences - hope I can keep on indefinitely. One new good thing is that my oldest DS has been inspired to start weight lifting and asked me to help him with it, so I set him up a schedule. A healthy family makes me happy!

Hope everybody is enjoying the weekend.
  • Hi Feathers!

Just checking in... so happy it's Autumn! It's my favorite season, even here in San Diego where we don't really have a whole lot of seasonal variation. I really struggled yesterday and went over my calories. I'm getting down where I want to be though, so I just need to buckle down.

Cattails, I'm sorry about Rosie. But congrats on inspiring DS!

LisaT, nice work staying on plan even while going out!

Olehcat, I like the idea of budgeting during the week so you have more calories on the weekend. Makes it easier to live "real life," doesn't it? And of course you are a featherweight!

Hope everyone has a good day...
  • Hi everyone!

It's been slow around here! I've been stuck at 141 for several days so I'm starting to think I might not make it to my goal of 135 by October 19th, which is really disappointing but I'm just going to stick with what I'm doing. I think the older I get the harder weight loss is. I'm got two parties this weekend so I'm going to have to monitor my intake but I'm going to aim for low cal breakfast and lunches each day. Being unemployed is really getting to be - I was really depressed last night and I ate pizza for dinner and drank 2 light beers AND 2 glasses of wine I ended up going 300 calories over. I just need to try and get it in check, overeating isn't going to find me a job.

thesame7lbs - Congrats on meeting your goal and setting a new one!!! Have you been at 125 before?

catails - So glad you're maintaing and that is awesome about your son!! I hope I have a healthy family one day
  • Hi Feathers,

I'm struggling a bit - just unmotivated to eat well, bored with exercise routines, carrying around a couple pounds. There is a general haze and brain fog and some residual bad moods which I had blamed on PMS before. I need to sort some things out.

LisaTcan - unemployment SUCKS and I'm sorry it's difficult for you. Boredom and restlessness and uncertainty are a bad combination when it comes to feeling like you don't need to self-medicate so at least SOMETHING good comes of it. Hope you will find something soon!

thesame7lbs - I've been following you on the September Binge-Free thread and you are doing great! Autumn is here in NY and I am not ready for it Happy to see you linked that NYT article, the truth hurts sometimes but it's the truth.

Cattails - That's great that your son is interested in weightlifting. A healthy family is something wonderful and rarer than it should be. Rosie has obviously been well loved her whole life - <3

olehcat - You don't need to be this stressed out about weight loss - I firmly believe it will come once you stop directing "not success story" feelings and anger at yourself. How is the REST of your life going?

Hoopty - Baby steps add up. I'm sorry you're struggling and have yet another deadline to deal with. Do you know where you'll move to?

Leaves - I totally got excited about Christmas already. Your laptop gonna be ok?

Cacaphony - I can't calorie count and don't. I went back and read my posts in the Binge Free threads from 2011 and it's like every day I felt like a failure for eating over 1300 calories and every two weeks would binge on 5,000+ of junk and then hate myself over it.
  • I was wondering why my weight bumped up a bit and now I know why -- because LisaT jinxed me! Hahahaha just kidding!

I've been over my cals a couple days this week, but really it should just be slowing me down, not bumping me up. I'm blaming this hiccup on too much processed food yesterday, including canned soup -- almost a day's worth of sodium! Hopefully I'll see some downward motion tomorrow.

LisaT, the unemployment thing is hard both because of stress and lack of daily structure. I'm a SAHM, but the structure thing kills me in the summer. When the kids are in school, I have a routine -- when they're out, it's all free-flowing and I'm in the house -- and near the pantry -- way too much! Hang in there.

Krampus, it sounds like you're in a funk -- sorry to hear it, I know how those are. Hopefully you'll pull out of it soon -- maybe a fun weekend to shake things up?

Hello to all the other feathers out there...
  • Hello Feathers,

It's my birthday today, woohooo! It's 10pm over here and I got some time to relax for a bit before DH and I watch a movie so I figured I'd check-in really quick.

I've been doing better. I haven't had any cravings whatsoever and whenever I pass junk food I think twice about if I really want it. Obviously, since it's my birthday, I had cake, but hey, that's absolutely fine! I actually went for a 30min HIIT jog yesterday, for the first time in I don't know how long. It felt great to be outside and sweat like that and I am loving the soreness in my legs in right now. I can feel the determination and motivation slowly come back into my life which is awesome.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words I will be back with personals soon.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

/edit - I finally changed my ticker and stuff. I weighed-in yesterday morning at 146.6 lbs though I had tons of food (high-sodium) and TOM is right around the corner but I just felt like I needed to update my weight on here. I will change it again on October 1st and use that as my actual current weight.
  • @Hoopty -
  • hi, all!

It's a beautiful fall day, my favorite time of the year, honestly! I love early fall (okay, never mind that it was close to 85 here today, but whatever, it LOOKS like fall). My birthday is on Saturday, but I'm going to give myself the best birthday present ever, of being very committed and dedicated to losing this weight in the way that I was doing so successfully last November/part of December. Seriously, I found a journal from right before the holidays where I lost 10 pounds in a month and a half and it was so easy and it was just all about being VERY strict Monday through Thursday with a very specific menu and mostly "on plan" Friday through Sunday but not as strict, with the allowance for special occasions and a little bit of treats. I remember at the time thinking it was completely livable long term, and the only reason I jumped off was because of some stupid reason in mid December (close to the holidays and I didn't want to make myself be accountable until after New Year's, but then I lost my focus. I don't have to lose my focus. I can do this this time.

@Hoopty - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you're enjoying some cake! ha, you and I are nearly birthday twins. Mine's on Saturday.

@cattails - I'm so glad that Rosie is still with you. Oh man, my cats are BOTH big personalities. I can't imagine my life without either one of them. And thank you for your encouragement.

@thesame7 - Thank you! I do indeed need to live real life. Sometimes food just seems to be everywhere, doesn't it?

@Lisa - I'm sorry things are so stressful for you. Being unemployed is one of the worst stressors. I hope things will improve soon!

@krampus - KRAMPUS! Hi, you're back! Sorry things have been foggy and weird for you! I wonder if a couple good workouts could get you feeling good again? Yeah, I have a bad habit of beating myself up about my weight, etc. I know it's not good at all. I'm working on it. I ran almost an hour this morning, which just made me feel better about my body, regardless. So I think no matter what, exercising more is good!
  • Happy Birthday to both Hoopty and Olehcat!

Olehcat, you hit on something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I have had times in my life where it's quite easy for me to be on plan. And I've had times in my life when, for the life of me, I can't stay on plan for a few days or even a single day. Sometimes it's binging. Sometimes it's just overeating. Sometimes it's eating at maintenance when I really want to be losing. But no matter how much I'll say I want to lose, at those times I just won't do what needs to be done. Then other times, I'm able to buckle down and I wonder, now why didn't I just do this before? ~sigh~

LisaT, congrats on your weigh-in this morning! I realized I forgot to answer your question. I've been as low as 120 (3 years ago, when I was in one of the above-mentioned phases where I was happily on plan... until I started binging). No plans to go that low. I think 125 gives me a little more wiggle room below 130, hopefully without triggering any bad habits.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
  • thesame7lbs - hahaha sorry for jinxing you!! That was all me. Hopefully we'll both get a whoosh soon. I'm jealous you can get to 120!! I've never really been that low, 130 is about the lowest I can go without restricting to an unhealthy degree. I also like having like 5lbs of wiggle room though. I would love it if I could get down to like 128 and then have a "range" of like 128-133.

Hoopty - Happy Birthday!! Congrats on the run and getting back on track.

Olehcat - Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a fabulous day!! I also have a history of being really successful in the October - December range and then try and maintain over Christmas.

Krampus - Sorry you're struggling! But it's really good you've caught it before you've gained any weight. I hope you can get back on track this weekend.

----------

So, I'm down to 140 which is my "comfortable, I don't feel fat weight" and was able to rock a cute dress (size 6) dress at the housewarming party I threw last night. It was mostly a bunch of my fiancee's work friends that I don't know that well so I was just playing hostess all night. I cooked a bunch on yummy food though but I managed to keep my eating in check.
  • Boo. I tried the "go off plan and shake things up to get a loss thing" -- and I'm up. Of course. Because it's just math after all.

I have to remind myself that I weighed 133 on August 26th (and actually 135 on August 27th, but that was post-Pho soup and all that sodium just plays games with the scale). When I look at it that way, 129 lbs feels ok.

LisaT, congrats on rocking that dress! I know that was a goal of yours and yay for achieving it!

Heading out for a run now... and then a nice, high-protein, on-plan day... my mantra today is Krampus' signature line -- Push on some more!
  • Hope everyone had a fabulous Monday!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had a great day, although a LOT of food and cake. Talk about having to roll me to bed that night! Surprisingly the weight damage wasn't that bad. I was up a little, but no more than a usual weekend. I'm back on plan and feel great.

@thesame7 - YEP! Exactly! I feel like that's the story of my life the last few years! And you're SO close to goal! You can so do it!

@Lisa - congrats on being at a good weight and feeling good in your dress! That's such a great feeling!