This community sounds awesome

• Hi everyone. I am a grad student who has put on 45 pounds in the last 7 months. I used to weigh 113 then ate my way through my last year as an undergraduate. I decided to join this community after reading all the different posts from individuals who seem nothing short of supportive and friendly. The only way I'll make it through this journey is if I reach out to others. Thanks in advance!:jig
  • Hey and welcome! I know just how you feel. I just finished my first year of university and OMG it's hard not to gain weight!
    Living on your own and drinking tons of booze... But that's gotta change :P
  • Welcome!
  • Welcome, glad to have you join us
  • Welcome! I'm sure you'll be able to find the support you need here.
  • Hi MM! So glad you joined us! Good luck in getting back to where you want to be!
  • Thank you to everyone for the kind welcome Lotte, you read my mind! Eating out and enjoying a glass (or 2) of wine has definitely been my downfall. Keep me updated on how you're doing!! I want you all to succeed
  • Congratulations on being in grad school!

It is easy to put on weight as a student. We are all here to support you.

I went to undergrad in LA so I know there are a lot of great restaurants in So. Cal. I also know that you can reach your goals and still have some fun there!
  • Thanks a lot you guys Part of why I put on so much weight in the first place was that I felt very alone and isolated. It was just me and my "friend" food for the longest time. I still struggle with craving going out to get my favorite take-out (and trust me its NOT healthy!) but now I log onto 3FC instead which helps Namaste!
  • BTW, Julia, I LOVE your blog. It is so genuine and honest, and made me laugh out loud
  • I was a grad student for a long time...Hey if someone goes going to pay me to essentially sit around and think, it was fine with me if I wasn't making a lot.

College campuses have a lot of advantages actually for fitness. My classes were spread out and I usually had a very heavy backpack, so that helped fitness wise. Also sometimes parking is very far away, that can help again. Most have gyms you have already paid for or your stipend has paid for.

Now it is easy with long hours and the social scene to not eat well but there also might be healthy choices in and around campus as there seems to be more market for that around campuses nowadays.

I was certainly still big when in grad school. But until recently when I am now in better shape than I have been in 10-20 years I was in fairly good shape at a campus. It just naturally lent itself to a lot of activity, walking, carrying a heavy load (beyond my weight), and good already paid for gyms.