How do you divide up your calories throughout the day?

• I try to stick to about 1200 calories per day. I am naturally a later in the day eater. I would not even think about eating until about 11-12. But I try to do 300 calories for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then I have about 300 calories for snacks or my late night eating or a larger dinner....

So, how do you divide up your calories?
  • I am doing something very similar...I usually try to stay at around 300 calories a meal with 200 calories reserved for snacks (if I need them..or else I don't use the calories) I have been averaging around 1000 calories a day...consisting of protein, veggies and fruit...I have cut out the carbs (not all) and have noticed that I'm not even hungry! Yay!
  • I've been trying to eat 100-200 calories for breakfast on weekdays (I am not a morning eater naturally), 300-450 for lunch, and then depending on how I feel, a big dinner (to get me to 1200) or a small dinner with room for a snack or a drink. I've been skipping the snack/drink a lit lately, though, and falling short on calories. I don't want to eat when I am not hungry, and I'm not sure if that's a problem I should address with higher calories at meals or if it will all even out and I will be hungry for snacks next week. I really like leaving myself room to be spontaneous at the end of the day, though.
  • -
  • I am also a late eater, so my day usually starts with an 80 calorie yogurt which will hold me over until about 3-5pm ish, at which point I usually look for a lean protein with veggies (I try to aim for about 300 calories). I'll do more lean protein with veggies for dinner (again, about 300 calories), and then leave the rest of my calories for my night time snacks. I'm a big fan of Blue Diamond's Butter Toffee Almonds, so those eat up a big portion of my snack calories (one ounce is 160 calories). I also enjoy coffee with 2 tablespoons fat free french vanilla creamer, which is 70 calories, and I'll usually have 1-2 cups of that in the evening.

I might have to start cutting back on the almonds though, as I'm finding that just before I go to bed I'm starting to get some tummy rumbling's (I like to stop eating around midnight-1am, go to bed around 3-4am....I know, wonky sleep schedule ), or maybe just eat them slower, cause I tend to eat them like candy and pop them in my mouth till they are gone.

While I am moving more than I used to, I am very sedentary and try to stick somewhere between 900-1200 calories. On the days where I eat around 900 calories, I don't move much more than just walking around my itty bitty apartment, and I find I'm still satisfied food-wise. If I need more, I'll eat more. On my more exercise-heavy days, I usually have no issue hitting the 1200 mark, and occasionally have gone to the 1300-1400, but those are on rare occasions.
  • IF you are doing 1200-1500 calories
    breakfast-350 calorie Remember this is the most important meal of the day!
    Lunch-300-350
    dinner 400 -450
    snacks- I usually make it around 200 1- 2x day
  • Breakfast: 250-300
    lunch:300-400
    snacks:100x2
    Dinner: whatever is left to get me to 1400
  • Normally my day looks something like this:

Breakfast: around 200
    Snack: 100ish
    Lunch: 300-400
    Snack: 100ish
    Dinner: 400-450
    Snack: 150-200

Normally puts me in the 1250-1350 range. I don't always eat the mid-morning snack. I tend to be a late-in-the-day eater.
  • My typical meal: (I try for 1200-1800, and the example below is usually where I land)

Breakfast 200
    Snack 100
    Lunch 200-300
    Snack#1 300
    Snack #2 150
    Dinner 300
    Snack 100

I exercise after work, so I feel like I do my best workouts if I have snack #2. I feel like it's worth it to eat 150 calories if I go hiking for an hour and a half because the calories burned will definitely be over 150 calories. I also find that if I eat every 2 hours it keeps me less hungry and I always know that I'll be eating in a little bit so I don't feel deprived.
  • Quote: So, how do you divide up your calories?
    I'm an early eater. If I skip breakfast it means I'm deathly ill. I find that if I feed myself well during the earlier part of the day, I'm not overly hungry in the evenings. I divide up my calories quite evenly. My maintenance blueprint is 500 for each meal, 100 for each of 3 snacks, and 200 for wine, for a total of 2,000. Of course it doesn't always work out so cleanly, and I often overeat quite massively when dining out, but the above is my ballpark goal. (I don't count calories rigorously, just eyeball and estimate.)

F.
  • I eat about 400 for breakfast, 500 for lunch and dinner. Anything leftover goes to snacks.
  • I prefer to eat the majority of my calories mid-day. I usually look something like this:

Breakfast: 200-300
    Lunch: 300-400
    Snack: 100-200
    Dinner: 300
  • I'm currently unemployed and a night owl so I don't usually get up until noon and then go the bed around 3/4am so right now my ~2000 calories is divided like this:

Breakfast/lunch- 400-500 calories
    Dinner- 500/700
    The rest goes to my horrible evening snacking habit although I usually have around 200-400 calories left over at the end of the day (unless I'm at my bf's then it's 0 as we eat out a lot, boo)

I'm hoping when I FINALLY get a job and go back to eating breakfast it'll work out ok as ill be going to bed earlier so less snacking....I hope.
  • Breakfast - 250-300
    Lunch - 300-400
    Snack - 140
    Dinner - 400-500
    Dessert - 200-300
  • My biggest meal of the day is breakfast. If I don't eat within an hour or so of waking up, I feel like crap for the entire day. Dinner is the smallest because at that point I'm basically done moving for the day and really don't need any more calories. (Plus I've found that eating too much too late in the day really slows down my weight loss. I know this isn't true for the majority of people, but it's how my body works.)

The breakdown looks roughly like this (for a 1300 calorie day):
    Breakfast 550 - 600
    Lunch 450 - 500
    Dinner 300 - 200

Sometimes I don't want a breakfast or lunch quite that heavy so I'll have about 400ish calories and then a snack a few hours later.