I joined a gym!

• I have been incredibly insecure about my weight, so I had decided that later on down the track I would join a gym. But today I walked into my local gym and joined. I start tonight - I am extremely nervous! Though I cannot wait to start
  • Bravo!

I was super nervous the first time I went to a gym, I thought that all the steroid muscley guys were going to look at me funny but 1. there were not steroid guys and 2. everyone else was too busy doing their own thing to bother with little old me.

Enjoy!!!
  • Thank-you! I went last night and honestly had the time of my life! It makes me wish I signed up earlier, but I am extremely happy that I did. I'm going back this morning
  • Congrats! I absolutely love the gym. Even tho I always have a little niggle of discomfort in the back of my head when I walk in, I brush off my insecurities and enjoy myself every single time. Have a lovely first workout!
  • Yahooo!! Good for you! I used to attend a gym years ago and enjoyed every minute of it...It was fun!! Have fun and enjoy your upcoming workouts daily!! Great choice making!!
  • Good for you!!!!
  • @foreverfaye I definitely walk into the gym feeling a little insecure, but I just put my headphones in and focus entirely on myself. With each time I walk in there my insecurities decrease a little - trust me, I'm still nervous, but I'm getting over the nerves little by little.

Thank-you guys!
  • That's awesome! I'm so glad for you!! I've always been insecure of myself so I remember the first time I went into the gym I was afraid everyone would be staring at me. But just like you said, everyone is so concerned with their own thing that they don't pay attention to you. I now LOVE going to the gym, and I know you will soon lose those nerves like I did.
  • Good for you, madelinerose94. It's great to face your fears and act despite them.

I let my gym membership lapse because I figure it's summer and I can do outdoorsy exercises. Which is true, but... I miss Step class.
  • Good for you. I joined the local Y a couple of months ago and it has been great.

And when you think about it...being overweight the LAST place on Earth anyone should look at you oddly would be a gym. It's like someone with a broken foot going to a foot doctor or someone who gambles too much going for counseling. You are obviously doing somethig positive about weight/health when going to a gym.
  • Thank-you everyone!

I went again last night and had an amazing time - a great workout! The nerves are really starting to decrease and I'm enjoying the act that I now have a place where I can challenge myself physically.

Your support is appreciated!