The Slow Carb Diet

You're on Page 5 of 34
Go to
  • TwoTots, you did brilliantly! Great job! I'm so proud of you for staying on plan through the temptation of party foods. That's not an easy thing to do. It paid off on the scale and I hope it continues and you see 216 tomorrow!

I weigh 176 today, which is good. It's up a half-lb from yesterday, but I knew I didn't drink enough water yesterday (busy day), so I thought I'd be carrying some water weight. I'm glad it wasn't more than this! I'm going to make sure I have enough water and green tea today and see if it will go down tomorrow, right before I begin cheat day!

Week 18: High 178.5, Low-175.5
    11/30: 178
    12/1: 178.5
    12/2: 177
    12/3: 177
    12/4: 176
    12/5: 175.5
    12/6: 176
  • Welcome back, lb #177! I didn't think you were done with me, lol! Oh, I knew I was in for it! I did very well with my water and tea yesterday, but I made chili for dinner and had two big bowls of it, and the second bowl was pretty late. It was not a smart move because when I ate the second bowl, I wasn't hungry. I was cold, and although I love my chili all the time, when I'm cold, I REALLY love my chili! There's nothing in it that I can't have, but now, that much chili is just sitting in my body like a lead brick. I had really hoped to get down to 175 before I started cheat day today because I usually weigh 2 to 2.5 lbs the day after, but I made the choice to have that second bowl of chili and now I have to accept the consequences that I'll probably be back up to 179 tomorrow!

Week 19:
    12/7: 177 Cheat Day
    12/8:
    12/9:
    12/10:
    12/11:
    12/12:
    12/13:
  • I went out of town yesterday and spent the night with my daughter. I had a really big day of eating yesterday, with my DH and I snacking and stopping at fast food restaurants as we traveled and then attending a big event with my daughter last night and eating. This morning I got on my daughter's scale and it said 179. She claims it's 1-2 lbs heavier than my scale but I'm thinking 179 is right on the mark, it's definitely what I expected, so I'm going with it!

Week 19:
    12/8: 179
    12/9:
    12/10:
    12/11:
    12/12:
    12/13:
  • It is possible hers IS heavier, maybe you had a drop and really weighed in at 177 again look forward to see where you are at tomorrow!
  • Lol! Pixikat, 177 would plague me like that, but I'd be happy to take it over 179! We will see!
  • Hi Jacqui, I am very interested in doing this with you and Two Tots. I am truly impressed with your progress. You've done great Could you post your meals for the next few days please.

I got a small list of foods from some site and then I found another list that was larger (but that one seems to be the individuals preference).
    --------

This is my plan to start on Tuesday (I need to prepare the chicken) everything else I have …

B - green tea, 2 eggs (can I use margarine or butter)

L - black beans, chicken breast

S - nuts (pisachio, shelled sunflower seeds or cashews) or peanut butter

D - chicken thigh, beans (not sure what kind)

Does this sound good or do I need to make some adjustments? Can you eat lean ground beef? I saw mixed veggies (what kind of mixed veggies?) Thanks for your help.
    ---------

this is my progress beginning 12/1 … I have been trying to count carbs but I haven't been doing so well lately. fbs = fasting blood sugars

01 ~ 183.4 (N/C) fbs 162//calories 2120//carbs 205//NO WORKOUT
    02 ~ 183.2 (-0.2) fbs 164//calories 1746//carbs 243//treadmill 4.12 miles burn 605 Nike+
    03 ~ 182.4 (-0.8) fbs 153//NO WORKOUT
    04 ~ 182.8 (+0.4) fbs 171//only 3 hrs of sleep-paper due
    05 ~ 182.2 (-0.6) fbs 159//NO WORKOUT
    06 ~ 181.4 (-0.8) fbs 177//calories 1194//carbs 129//NO WORKOUT
    07 ~ 180.8 (-0.6) fbs 166//calories 1243//carbs 141//treadmill 3.59 miles burn 561 treadmill
    08 ~ 178.2 (-2.6) fbs 152//calories 1348//carbs 195//NO WORKOUT
  • Hello ladies. Jacqui, I always go up 4lbs after cheat day and it does come down again. But it is a bit disheartening. But, you can handle it, no better woman! love2b welcome. Your meal plan sounds good. i have a protein shake every morning with spinach and chia seeds. I find that easier to make and eaten the morning. for lunch I have meat and veg or bean, minced beef chili with a salad. dinner is the same. sometimes I have egg salad with a little mayo. I eat chicken legs, chicken and veg kebabs, hummus, guacamole, cottage cheese. Lentil and meat stew/casseroles.
    I had my cheat day on Saturday but something I ate turned my stomach and ended my snacking on rich foods, bummer. But on the good side I was only up 1lb the next day, yesterday. Today I am down one more pound to 215. So, it's all good. Good luck everyone. My meal plan today is
    BF: spinach, coffee, chocolate protein chia seed shake.
    Lunch:chicken legs with a salad and some coleslaw
    Dinner: ham, turnip, cauliflower and white beans. Leftovers from yesterday
    Snack: spoonful of peanut butter
    Lots of water.
  • Nice weigh in TwoTots

I had two eggs for breakfast with green tea, only half of a bottle of water so far. TOM has come and I'm not feeling well this go around. Stomach ache to go with the cramps. smh

Lunch I will eat some ham and turnips

Dinner not sure I have to work late and I hadn't planned on it so I'll have to figure this one out.

Have a great day
  • Hi Rennie! Welcome! I hope this diet works for you! I don't know how far back on this thread you've read, but I am not following the book-version of the Slow Carb Diet, but rather my own version, and on page 1, I posted the list of foods I eat. I'll be happy to post my exact meals for a few days though so you can get a better idea. Now, let's see, yesterday I was traveling, but I had:

Breakfast: An omelet with bacon, green pepper, and onion, sprinkled with shredded cheese, and a bottle of water.
    Lunch: IHOP's balsamic glazed chicken with broccoli and a house salad (minus the croutons of course, and cheese since I had cheese on my omelet) with ranch dressing. I ate the salad but only half the chicken and broccoli because I had eaten breakfast later than usual and I filled up quickly. (I boxed up the other half and brought it home.) A cup of hot black tea with half a packet of Equal, and a glass of water.
    Snack: A handful of almonds, a Diet Dr. Pepper
    Dinner: A large bowl of chili made with ground chuck beef and light and dark kidney beans, 3 cups (one teapot) of green tea with Splenda
    After-dinner snack: Some pumpkin seeds (maybe 1/4 of a cup), a bottle of water with Mio strawberry-watermelon flavoring.

Today (I'll add to it as I go):
    Breakfast: 6 walnut halves, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 teapot of green tea with Splenda, water with Mio
    Lunch: The rest of yesterday's IHOP's Balsamic chicken and broccoli, Mio water
    Snack: Diet Dr. Pepper
    Dinner: 10 chicken wings, water

I think your planned menu sounds great! And yes, I do eat lean ground beef, and I also use butter and/or margarine in cooking. As for mixed veggies, definitely avoid potatoes and corn. You want to stay away from starchy veggies. I imagine peas and lima beans are pretty starchy also, but I don't like peas or lima beans, so I wouldn't be eating them anyway. Carrots are high sugar vegetables in comparison to some others so although I eat them, I don't eat them as much as some other veggies. I hope that helps!
  • TwoTots, I read that some people gain as high as 7 lbs after cheat day! I would freak out, lol! I think I typically gain 2 lbs. As long as your 4 lbs drops back off, there's nothing to worry about! :
  • Today I weigh 178. My scale was having a hard time deciding this morning. I usually step on it 2-3 times to make sure it comes up with the same number each time, but this morning, I stepped on it many times because it kept going back and forth between 177.5 and 178, so I'm going to go with the 178. Either way it's less than yesterday's 179, so that's good! Now to get past 177, lol!

Week 19:
    12/8: 179
    12/9: 178
    12/10:
    12/11:
    12/12:
    12/13:
  • Thanks Jacqui, I read both threads and your modifications is what gave me the idea to give it a shot.

I love lima beans and peas. I would think that lima beans and peas would have the same effect as kidney, black and pinto beans, but I guess not huh? I sometimes eat a cup of green grapes or an apple as a filler, do you not recommend this?

Your meals yesterday were great I'll see how I do today and let you know. Thanks for your help
  • I weighed in at 178.6 this morning up .4 from yesterday. I'm gonna follow you and TwoTots. What's your take on peanut butter? Sorry about all of the questions, again I thank you. Oh I have my dinner planned out with a low carb burrito, with beef, onion, green pepper, cheese and salsa. My whole planned out day is only 69 carbs. Now if you tell me to delete the grapes and the tortilla shell it will be only 29 carbs and 712 calories. I may have to make the chili to help otherwise my calories will be way to low and I'll gain ridiculously after cheat day. Not good. Let me know please, thank you

S 12/08 ~ 178.2
    M 12/09 ~ 178.6 (+0.4)
    T 12/10 ~
    W 12/11 ~
    T 12/12 ~
    F 12/13 ~
    S 12/14 ~ Cheat Day
  • I didn't eat the grapes for snack. I ate cashews and sunflower kernels.
    I didn't eat the burrito for dinner. Instead I had 1.5 cups of broth from the chilcken my son cooked and 2oz chicken thigh and I am full.

I almost caved when the kids had chicken crackers for snack today. I was so hungry and though those crackers are good, the salt is overwhelming to me. So it's not worth it.

I count today as a victory … onto tomorrow.

Hope you both did well
  • I stayed very busy today, so my day's meals ended up looking a little different than usual. I didn't even have a snack. I just grabbed a Diet Dr. Pepper. Also, we normally would not eat out tonight, but we went out with some friends and the sports bar/grill we went to had a limited menu for me, so I just got 10 chicken wings.

Breakfast: 6 walnut halves, 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 teapot of green tea with Splenda, water with Mio
    Lunch: The rest of yesterday's IHOP's Balsamic chicken and broccoli, Mio water
    Snack: Diet Dr. Pepper
    Dinner: 10 chicken wings, water

Rennie, you may be right about the peas and lima beans. I just don't know because I didn't pay attention to the info on them since I wouldn't be eating them. I'll see what I can find out about them though! As for the grapes and apples (sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier), according to the Slow Carb Diet, you are not supposed to have fruit except on cheat day. If fruit is something you want to modify your diet with, I would just be sure to eat it in moderation. Also, I eat peanut butter. The real Slow Carb Diet says to eat all natural, but I just eat JIF, lol! I love it on celery!

Okay, I found out about the peas and lima beans. Peas are starchy but are allowed in moderation. And you were quite right about the lima beans. They're like other legumes and are allowed without limitation. In fact, in trying to find out about them, I found a useful article about all legumes/beans as they relate to the Slow Carb Diet: http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/0...rb-bean-index/. As for chicken crackers, no, no, no, not until cheat day! Great job on your foods today!

And please feel free to ask questions! I'm a former teacher and librarian, and if I know the answers, I am more than happy to share them, and if I don't know the answers, I have a tendency to look them up, lol!

Edited to add: I just focused in on the fact that you mentioned a tortilla shell. I personally would not have any kinds of breads/grains until cheat day. They are pretty notorious for spiking blood sugar, but if you are going to incorporate them into your daily diet, be sure to make them whole grain (I believe tortilla shells are) and have them in very limited quantities.