3 Day Military Diet Results

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Nothing about this statement is correct. It doesn't speed up your metabolism. Grapefruit juice does suppresses the action of some enzymes in the body which metabolize certain drugs.

As for this diet - there is no science operating here other than a simple caloric deficit. Thinking anything else is happening here is absurd. How then, do I explain the six lb loss? Water flux.

I realize we all want to believe there is some special magical formula that will melt the fat from our bodies but it doesn't work that way. There is no magic.

You've got your facts wrong here! Grapefruit is considered one of the super foods for weight loss.

Links have been established between it and reduction of insulin levels.

_________
    "Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods
  • Quote: You've got your facts wrong here! Grapefruit is considered one of the super foods for weight loss.

Links have been established between it and reduction of insulin levels.

_________
    "Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods
    Naringenin is in grapefruits. In mice, this has been shown to reduce insulin. We are not mice. This has not been replicated in humans.

In a human study, grapefruit before a meal in diabetics showed a slight increase in insulin sensativity that grapefruit juice did not cause. Why? Grapefruits themselves have lots of fiber.

Grapefruits do have a lot of nutrients and fiber without many calories so in that sense I'd agree they are a good addition to anyone's diet assuming there are no bad drug interactions but they don't speed up your metabolism.

Hope this helps.

By the way - I love it when I am wrong. It means I learned something new. So by all means, please point out when you think I am wrong.
  • Quote: Now I am going to date myself.... I have this exact same diet from 27 years ago taped to my fridge... It had beets on the 3rd day of dinner tho... LOL Funny how things come and go! But yes.. It does help you lose... Its just hard to not go wacky on those 4 days off...
    My mom somehow got a copy of this diet about 25 years ago, but it was simply called The Three Day Diet and was a photocopy of a sheet that had been crudely typed up by someone. It also had beets on the third day of dinner, and the egg was poached (misspelled as "pouched," lol). Seems like I lost 7 pounds on it (as a 13-year-old!) but had no clue what an overall healthy lifestyle was and didn't have any real success until many, many years later.

Here is an interesting article on the history of this diet.
  • Quote: My mom somehow got a copy of this diet about 25 years ago, but it was simply called The Three Day Diet and was a photocopy of a sheet that had been crudely typed up by someone. It also had beets on the third day of dinner, and the egg was poached (misspelled as "pouched," lol). Seems like I lost 7 pounds on it (as a 13-year-old!) but had no clue what an overall healthy lifestyle was and didn't have any real success until many, many years later.

Here is an interesting article on the history of this diet.
    Interesting! thanks for the link Elladorine
  • Quote: Naringenin is in grapefruits. In mice, this has been shown to reduce insulin. We are not mice. This has not been replicated in humans.

In a human study, grapefruit before a meal in diabetics showed a slight increase in insulin sensativity that grapefruit juice did not cause. Why? Grapefruits themselves have lots of fiber.

Grapefruits do have a lot of nutrients and fiber without many calories so in that sense I'd agree they are a good addition to anyone's diet assuming there are no bad drug interactions but they don't speed up your metabolism.

Hope this helps.

By the way - I love it when I am wrong. It means I learned something new. So by all means, please point out when you think I am wrong.
    You have an excellent approach and attitude! I love to learn, too.

There have been several medical studies now linking grapefruit with weight loss. Here for instance is an abstract from the Endocrinology Division at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla, California. It points out that regardless of consumption of fibre of grapefruit, insulin resistance improves.

Summary: Human Study Confirms Grapefruit Promotes Weight Loss

A study published in the March 2006 issue of the Journal of Medicinal Food supports the long-held belief that grapefruit is useful in the battle of the bulge. Dr. Ken Fujioka from Scripps Clinic in San Diego conducted a 12-week study of 100 obese men and women and found that consuming one-half grapefruit before meals resulted in an average weight loss of 3.6 pounds with some participants losing up to 10 pounds. Individuals who ate the grapefruit had significantly lower levels of insulin in their blood, which the researchers speculated resulted in the weight loss. Insulin promotes hunger, so having lower levels of insulin in the blood helps dieters control hunger. The researchers further speculated that a natural plant compound in grapefruit, not the fiber content, was responsible for the weight loss since those who consumed grapefruit juice also lost weight despite the lack of fiber.

The effects of grapefruit on weight and insulin resistance: relationship to the metabolic syndrome.
    Fujioka K, Greenway F, Sheard J, Ying Y.
    Source: Division of Endocrinology, Department of Nutrition and Metabolic Research, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California 92130, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

To study the effects of grapefruit and grapefruit products on body weight and metabolic syndrome, 91 obese patients were randomized to either placebo capsules and 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, grapefruit capsules with 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, 8 ounces (237 mL) of grapefruit juice with placebo capsule, or half of a fresh grapefruit with a placebo capsule three times a day before each meal. Metabolic syndrome parameters were measured at the beginning and end of 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, the fresh grapefruit group had lost 1.6 kg, the grapefruit juice group had lost 1.5 kg, the grapefruit capsule group had lost 1.1 kg, and the placebo group had lost 0.3 kg. The fresh grapefruit group lost significantly more weight than the placebo group (P < .05).

A secondary analysis of those with the metabolic syndrome in the four treatment groups demonstrated a significantly greater weight loss in the grapefruit, grapefruit capsule, and grapefruit juice groups compared with placebo (P < .02). There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit. Although the mechanism of this weight loss is unknown it would appear reasonable to include grapefruit in a weight reduction diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728
  • I'd have to see the full text of that study. You can't tell much from the information in the abstract. That said - I did a little more research and found another interesting study this one has the full study and not the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3039556/

In this one, GF or GF juice had no effect compared to water on fat loss but it did affect the lipid profile.

I'm not quite ready to award grapefruits the title of diet superfood but there does seem to be some further information to learn here.

Regardless - I've seen nothing that demonstrates GF speeds up one's metabolism.
  • Quote: Interesting! thanks for the link Elladorine
    No problem!

And for the fun of it, this page looks eerily similar to the copy my mother had all those years ago.