IP Daily Chat Wednesday, 7/10/2013

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • Sonyasbug, YOU are amazing. Congrats
  • Okay, I FINALLY found some rhubarb - fresh, at $4.00 a pound! What's the best way to stew/freeze it?
  • sonyasbug Thank you! I am going to go to a nutritionist and try to figure out these last few pounds and the best way for me to get rid of them.
  • Quote: Okay, I FINALLY found some rhubarb - fresh, at $4.00 a pound! What's the best way to stew/freeze it?
    Rhubarb is easy to process for freezing! All I did was wash, cut, place in baggies, and place directly into the freezer. The frozen pieces break apart easily so you can just take out what you need. The hardest part for me was cutting through the rhubarb, takes some elbow grease, but it is worth it!
  • Quote: yum. Would love your recipe.

I second the dessert comment too. Last night I made the IP "Chocolate Cake" after making birthday cakes for friends and feeling glum as I couldn't even have a little bit, even though - pouring in the 1/3 c. of oil and 3 eggs, all the sugar, etc. I KNEW it was no good for me. So, the IP cake made it "feel" more equitable and it was healthy.
    I buy a chuck roast with minimal fat and rub the whole thing with liberal amounts of ground pepper and sea salt. I put a few Tblsp of grape seed oil in the bottom of the pan. I cover with sliced yellow onion and sliced button mushrooms. I use my cast iron Dutch oven and bake at 250 for about an hour and reduce the temp to 200 for the remainder. I usually plan 2 to 3 hrs cooking time. Depends on the size of the roast. Comes out super tender.

Sometimes I will add sliced cabbage, which is delish! The only problem is trying not to eat everything, but it sure makes good left overs. I have eaten this meal many times on IP and continue to lose weight. It tastes so good I feel like I am cheating. Oh, I use xanthan gum to thicken the juices for gravy! You can roast and then puree cauliflower with a little chicken broth so you feel like you are having mashed potatoes and gravy. I use amberjules recipe for the topping on shepherd's pie and it is yummy.
  • Can you tell me why red wine vinegar is not allowed? There are no carbs in it.
  • IP isn't just a low carb/low fat diet. It is also an alkaline diet. Some of the reasons for what is on-plan have to do with PH content or how the PH reacts in our system.
  • Quote: I buy a chuck roast with minimal fat and rub the whole thing with liberal amounts of ground pepper and sea salt. I put a few Tblsp of grape seed oil in the bottom of the pan. I cover with sliced yellow onion and sliced button mushrooms. I use my cast iron Dutch oven and bake at 250 for about an hour and reduce the temp to 200 for the remainder. I usually plan 2 to 3 hrs cooking time. Depends on the size of the roast. Comes out super tender.
    Do you think it could be done simply in a slow cooker? I don't have a dutch oven.
  • I'm staying OP at my parents house! I can't weight myself daily which is slightly freaking me out but I'll make it.

The roast can be made in a crock pot, just be sure to sear the meat before putting it n the cork pot and deglaze the pan too.
    I hadn't thought of doing that, I'm totally trying it!
  • What dies it mean to deglaze the pot? I am so not a cooker! :-)
  • Quote: What dies it mean to deglaze the pot? I am so not a cooker! :-)

Deglaze just means to get all the browned stuff that is stuck to the surface of the pan or cooking vessel. That can usually be done adding teeny amounts of water at a time..and stirring while adding the liquid. If on the stove low heat is OK while you do this too... Add just enough to get it all off the pan. All the flavor and yum is in that part that would otherwise get left behind!

Bon Appetite!