Paper vs App - how do u log your calories?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I am curious - what do u prefer to count your calories and why?

After using MFP for a while I decided to use a paper log (dietminder) for the next few weeks. I feel that using an app makes me just add up the numbers but I don't really memorize them. I just hope to be able to learn the calorie counts of most foods and this way be armed when going on vacation (where my phone doesn't necessarily work) or at a buffet.

So I will go the old fashioned way for a while.

I was curious how other people do it and what kind of app/log they use. Do u buy a log, print it or just use an app?
  • Hi Andee! I like to use MFP, although I tend to use it on a computer rather than the mobile app. (I have the mobile app, I just don't use it much). I also use a Fitbit to track my activiity, and the two sync well.

Best on your journey!
  • I prefer using the computer apps, but I understand what you mean about learning the values. While I could never tell you the actual values of foods, over the last 6 months I've learned which foods are low in calories, carbs, and sodium (the thing things I have to focus on), which aren't, etc.

The important thing is that you're tracking your calorie intake. The winging it approach has led to several set backs in this journey for me. Have a great time on your trip.
  • I actually use neither. I keep a rough estimate in my head. Logging would drive me insane.
  • I started out with tracking my calories on paper. I now use MFP though. I find that being able to see the graphs helps me.
  • I use paper since I really only keep track of the calories (and a rough estimate of carbs/fat/sugar). I find it WAY easier that way, plus it helps me be able to guestimate if needed when away from home. If I used an App I doubt I'd hardly know how many calories was in something because it would add everything up for me.
  • I use mfp, if I'm too where I can't get to the internet, I either plan ahead or write out down and log later.
  • Thanks for all your replies - so interesting to me!!!

I am really curious on how I will be doing writing things down.
  • I use a digital kitchen scale to measure my food, a simple calculator to calculate calories, and I write everything down in my binder. I like pen and paper and the math is pretty basic.

I'm not a huge app person.
  • I use MFP via my laptop to track my calories. I also weigh most of my food and keep a small notebook to jot that info down before I add it to my MFP food diary. I more or less know the calorie content of most of the food I eat, but I still find comfort in tracking it all down with MFP. You've made me more curious about tracking my calories with pen and paper, hmm.
  • For those that track with pen and paper - where (besides labels) do u look up calories? Is there a certain homepage u find very reliable?

Miss Krissy that sounds great!!!

PositiveAttitude and everybody else - thx so much I really enjoy reading all the different approaches.
  • I keep track the old-fashioned way! I have a pen and paper on the fridge! Works for me
  • That is awesome!!! I thought about buying the calorie king book but google isn't as obvious haha
  • Andee, If you're like me, you eat most of the same foods again and again. I bought the Calorie King book a long time ago and got rid of it when I quit counting (bad me). Bad not for getting rid of the book, but that I quit counting. I just wanted to say that the book was somewhat helpful in the beginning, but I could have found everything I needed online and this time I didn't purchase the book again because I very seldom referred to it when I did have it.

I have a small notebook that I have calculated my favorite recipes in and have broken down how many calories per serving. Not only recipes, but also other snacks or things I eat on a regular basis, with the amounts and cals listed. I refer to my "calorie book" often, as well as the internet when needed.

But as for tracking calories, I'm not an app girl and have a small notebook for jotting down my foods/cals each day. I have it broken down into four sections; "Food" "Cals", "Total Cals" "Cals Left". This way I'm adding as I go and also deducting, so I double check myself.
  • This is my go-to database for nutritional info on foods that don't come with labels (eg apples, onions, chicken breast, etc):

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

HTH!