Maintainers Exercising in July: Boom, Boom, Boom

You're on Page 1 of 11
Go to
  • Baby, we're all fireworks!

How are you going to light up the sky if you don't explode into pure energy?
  • Monday, July 1st:

Ran 4.27 miles, which I had the breath for, but oh, the pounding on the asphalt and briefly on cement sidewalks made me wonder, how do you people who run manage to go for so long & for so many miles without injury? Didn't help that my iPods were all dead this morning, so that I could hear my feet and my breathing. And the humidity was such that it was like moving through bathwater. At least the thunderstorm didn't happen till several hours later.
  • July 1: 95 minutes bikram yoga in the morning, 60 minutes body pump in the afternoon

Totals:
    2 workouts
    155 minutes
  • July 1: 30 min elliptical, 30 min spin, 45 min dog walk
  • Quote: Monday, July 1st:

Ran 4.27 miles, which I had the breath for, but oh, the pounding on the asphalt and briefly on cement sidewalks made me wonder, how do you people who run manage to go for so long & for so many miles without injury? Didn't help that my iPods were all dead this morning, so that I could hear my feet and my breathing. And the humidity was such that it was like moving through bathwater. At least the thunderstorm didn't happen till several hours later.
    I can't even go for a long WALK on concrete any more without my shins and foot (plantar fascitis) hurting for several days afterward. I see people running on concrete sidewalks with the minimalist shoes and think "OUCH".

Dagmar
  • 7/1 60 min weights

Saef and Mudpie Iam with ya on the pavement just can not do it..I run but only on dirt roads and trail.( fortunately I live in the country so have endless possibilities) but do not know how people keep from joint injury!
  • Tuesday, July 2:

60 minutes on the Stairmaster, the usual split before & after, and I finally realized why the first bout is so difficult, or at least I think I know. It's because my hamstrings are so tight and take that warmup and the weights to become comfortable
    60 minutes shoulders, chest & triceps routine
  • Monday July 1: (first day of a nine week 'I will exercise or die' challenge with a friend)

Weights:
    Squats - 3x15x80
    Shrugs - 3x15x40
    Shoulder press (OHP) - 3x15x15# db per hand
    Calf raise - 2x15x80
    Swiss ball crunches - 2x15

Stationary bike - 20 mins, 5.1 miles
  • July 1: 2.4 miles in 20 minutes on treadmill
    July 2: DB bench press, barbell OHP, calf raises, lat pulldown, lawnmower pulls on cable machine. Might do cardio later.

saef, I'm with you. Knees and hips scream and cry after 5 miles or so.
  • Wednesday, July 3:

45 minute spin class with weight intervals, run by an instructor whose mind was elsewhere, and who didn't push us much.
    So, afterward, deadlifts, squats, leg extension machine, hamstring curl machine, adductors
  • Tuesday, July 2:
    4.5 mile run at the park - we'll call it interval training, as there was a lot of walking.
  • Saw the trainer this morning and put together a core programme*. I'm going to do that once a week, and the other programme twice a week. The other days I walk, if I've got enough time. Got the pedometer, you know. It is quite amazing how many steps I put together pacing round our tiny house.

*Once this is going strong I'll have another reassessment of whether to let running back into my life. Gazelle-like stuff would be what I'd be looking for rather than SI joint moaning. Krampus, crying knees and hips sound perfectly terrible!
  • July 3: 20 min "Sprint 8" intervals on elliptical. Brought gym clothes to work, we'll see if I get the mojo to go again afterwards.
  • July 1: spin class
    July 2: weight training with a friend. She downloaded an app called workout trainer, which has a bazillion workouts. We did a circuit one today involving dumbbells, the swiss ball, the bosu, kettlebells, and foam rollers. There were 43 things that you did for a minute each, with 20 - 30 seconds of rest in between (intervals were timed by the app). It was fun and I think I will feel it tomorrow.

too much rain for dog walking!
  • Quote: July 1: 95 minutes bikram yoga in the morning, 60 minutes body pump in the afternoon

Totals:
    2 workouts
    155 minutes
    Ward-- that sounds really fun! I wonder if you'll be sore due to using new/different muscle groups?

July 2: 95 minutes Bikram yoga-- one of my very favorite teachers-- she subs so I never know when she'll be there, so it was a pleasant surprise.

July 3: I have a super busy day today so I went to an early Zumba class. It was super packed!

60 minutes Zumba
    504 feet on the rope maching

Totals:
    4 workouts
    315 minutes