In the NY Times: "How Carbs Can Trigger Food Cravings"

• I think we're allowed to post links to newspaper articles hre. If not, I apologize, but this one in the NY Times this morning struck me as useful. We've heard "it's just the calories that count" so long, and low carb diets have received such a bad press, that a recent study that contradicts these assumptions may be useful.

Here's the link:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ings/?src=recg

And here's a quote:

Quote:
    Are all calories created equal? A new study suggests that in at least one important way, they may not be.

Sugary foods and drinks, white bread and other processed carbohydrates that are known to cause abrupt spikes and falls in blood sugar appear to stimulate parts of the brain involved in hunger, craving and reward, the new research shows. The findings, published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggest that these so-called high-glycemic foods influence the brain in a way that might drive some people to overeat.
  • I was very glad to read this. It probably won't be news to many South Beachers, but it will be to the many people who have been taught to believe that it doesn't matter what they eat, as long as they don't eat more than X calories.
  • Good stuff, Xan. I know that it is very true for me.
  • Great article Xan, thank you for sharing. Ruth I am right there with you!
  • The older I get the more true this is for me too. Made the mistake of starting with a ww bagel yesterday and was off the rails all day
  • This is definitely true for me! I can spiral out of control FAST if I have carbs- especially carbs with yummy melty cheese (ie, pizza, stromboli, etc ). Carbs-and-cheese have sort of ingrained themselves in my head as a "reward" food. Like, "wow, this week was really tough at work... pick up stromboli on the way home!"

This is something that I still struggle with, as I do really like the taste of bread products, but I know I FEEL so much better, and actually lose weight, when I limit carbs of that nature.
  • Thanks everyone! I definitely think it is true, and am glad that -- "the mainstream media" -- is beginning to talk about it.

It is true, isn't it? Sometimes wheat products are more difficult for me than sweets. It's one of the many things I have to figure out.