anyone NOT count calories from veggies?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I don't count fruit or veggies because it's a mind game that I play with myself.....if I know I could have 100 calories of banana vs 100 calories of junk food i'm going to pick the junk food regardless of what I KNOW of nutrition....but if I tell myself the fruit is "free" similar to WW then I will always pick the fruit...however I don't eat a lot of fruit anyhow, I eat more veggies...in fact I eat very little some days depending on my stress level....but that's another story...
  • I usually count veges, I measure them out by half cups and cups to track them easier,
    My cup measure things were the best thing I've ever bought weightloss wise
  • I think if it's working for you now, why not at least try it when you start counting calories? I think as long as you're eating ONLY vegetables, and non-starchy ones at that, you should be fine. Maybe set your daily limit to 100 calories or so lower than you normally would and then just not count the veggies. I guess whether or not it will work depends on how many veggies you're eating and which ones. But hey, if you're not satisfied with the rate of loss you can always start counting them
  • I usually don't count veggies. Corn, carrots and peas get an exception since they have a little more calories to them. If it is a mega-serving - a fill-your-plate type of situation (stir-fry, big salad), then I will since it's more cals. But for 1/2c or a cup it's typically not worth the effort.

Any toppings - butter, sauce, cheese, etc must be tracked. Probably obvious, but I don't want to be confusing.

Also - if you find yourself stalling, maybe track more tightly. But if it works, roll with it.
  • I do count veggie calories. But, I am less fussy about measuring them than I am with calorie-dense foods. For example, I'll eyeball a cup of broccoli but I would try not to eyeball a cup of rice - I'd measure.
  • I do because I like to see the nutrients that I get from them - and the only way to do that is to weigh it and log it.
  • I don't count salad type veggies(lettuce/greens etc) and if I eat out I guestimate calories for veggies overall rather than worry myself about portion size. I try to leave myself a 100 cal buffer for veg I don't count, but I am very, very careful to honestly count things like potatoes, avocado etc which are higher cal than most other fruits and veg.