I did what?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I signed up to do the glo run! Just about 20 minutes ago! It is July 13 and it is of course at night. I have never done a 5k and I am excited an petrified at the same time!!!!
  • Nice! Congrats, I'm sure it's gonna be awesome. Make sure you post some pics here after, so we can bask in your amazingness.
  • Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing! You must share pictures when the time comes! I would be excited and nervous too, I bet you'll have so much fun.
  • I will! I am also going to do the color me rad and color me run! I cant run but I can walk them!
  • Good for you!!!
  • Quote: I will! I am also going to do the color me rad and color me run! I cant run but I can walk them!
    If you are interested in running, 5K's are a great place to start. Signing up for your first race is so hard, especially when you are not the "norm" in the running world! I applaud you so much! Once I am cleared to run again, I am signing up for a color run, they look so fun!

I want to share how I started running, and if I am intruding, I apologize!

My first attempt at running was at 325 pounds (Feb/March 2011). I was on a treadmill walking 1.5% incline and 3.0mph. I raised the treadmill to 4.0mph for 5-10 seconds, then lowered it back to 3.0mph until I was 99% recovered. I limited myself to 4 per hour of exercise, so I didn't hurt myself. I also only "ran" every other exercise session. The other sessions were walking only or elliptical. I raised it slowly from there.

March 2012, I weighed about 225-230, and ran a 10K in 1h16m, running the first 3 miles without walking, then doing a run/walk for the next 3, and running the last .2 just cuz I couldn't finish the race walking with my family watching!

February 2013, I ran a half marathon in 2h33m, using Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. I was NOT prepared for "hills", so I started out at 4 min run, 1 min walk, and then timed walk breaks for hills, and made sure long run breaks had the hills first, so I wasn't dying at the end of a run segment.
  • That sounds like so much fun, I'd love to do something like that. I've never done any marathons because I know I can't run for very long, but, I never thought that I could walk them. I can walk 2 hours (10k~) without any difficulty, and I love walking!

I hope you post pics!
  • Have fun!!!
  • JustB I envy ya....I want to sign up for a 5K someday, it's been a mini-goal of mine to do one. You're so brave. Awesome job!
  • Congrats ! I want to do a 5k in July maybe . I have never did one ourside of my treadmill . I think that would feel so good to me !!!!!
  • Have fun! That's awesome that you're doing it!
  • Thanks everyone. Right now I do not plan on ever becoming a runner. I am just going to stick with walking. Running is so hard on your knees and I have some trouble (minor) with my left knee as it is. I am pretty excited about the glo run. My niece one of her friends and my best friend are all doing it with me. I can do 3 miles in about an hour.
  • Those all sound so fun! I'm jealous :P I was signed up for the night color run in Dallas but they canceled it because the location accidentally double booked and they never rescheduled it

Have fun!!!
  • How fun!!! I also just signed up for the Glo run. It should be tons of fun! I just did Color Me Rad on Saturday and it was a blast!! The best part of 5Ks like this are they are so laid back. Nobody's trying for a record, they're just there for fun! Enjoy them!! Just know it can get addicting!
  • hmmmm looks like color me rad is in dallas in Oct and a different color run is in Nov. I may just sign up for both soon I am also eyeing the run for your life zombie 5k obstacle course in Austin in Dec. I was a Zombie in the Dallas on at the beg. of June and saw plenty of people at my level of run/walk giving it a go